0

10' ceilings, 8' cabinets, want to go to ceiling

tolive

Hi there - building dream house. Hit a snag. We have 10 foot ceilings in the kitchen with 8 foot cabinets. That's 2 feet above the cabinets. I don't want a regular soffit. And I can't afford those crazy expensive small upper cabinets. I'm thinking we use trim and moulding to hide soffit and make it look built in. Do you all have any ideas? Is 2 feet of trim and moulding too much? HELP!

GreenDesigns

No. 2' of trim is a bad, bad, look. 10' only looks good with cabinets up there, and not 24" cabinets on top either. You'd have to get the proportions correct to even make it work. Drop the whole ceiling. 10' is a dysfunctional choice in a kitchen, and you are paying extra for that dysfunction to be built in. Or leave the 2' overhead and climb up to clean it every 3-4 months. And the ceiling will definately feel too tall then.

tolive thanked GreenDesigns
  • arcy_gw

I think it could be done quite nicely. It has been by others anyway. Easy google!!

• Susie .
    San Jose Res 2 · More Info
  • A

https://www.houzz.com/photo/38506745-elegant-spec-home-ii-transitional-kitchen-chicago - this was in comments about same situation as you. They said they did substantial crown on ceiling and cabinets to make the gap less noticeable. The comment " In the second one, we used 48" uppers with it's own substantial crown and added additional crown to the room. This might help you to visual the difference."

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie
    could you lower the ceiling in that room economically and aestetically?
  • live_wire_oak

48" is ridiculous for molding. It is not a good look. Even 1' doesn't look good, as well illustrated. It's a "forgot to design correctly" look. An oops.

• tolive

Thank you everyone. I can't lower the ceiling in the room - and I can't afford to get upper cabinets either. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a <gag> soffit. I don't know what else to do. The house has an open floor plan with the family room having a coffered ceiling. Need the height everywhere else - so there doesn't seem to be a way to lower just the kitchen ceiling.

• pink_peony

You might be better off leaving it. These are both 10'/8' combos. Another option.....my friend had custom stacks built for hers and found it to be half the cost of what the cabinet company was charging.

tolive thanked pink_peony
    GreenDesigns

Sure you can lower the ceiling in the kitchen. It's easy. You create a large cased opening to the kitchen. The separation of the spaces allows different ceiling heights. It's very simple and it creates a much more user friendly series of spaces.

Large cased openings should be used throughout the home, to stave off the Home Depot store feeling that some open concept creates. Open concept still means individual rooms when designed properly.

tolive thanked GreenDesigns
  • artistsharonva

Sorry, but 24" of molding is too much.

It looks too bulky.

Most economical way is to leave open. Put lighting above on a dimmer switch. As long as there is no way to see above, it won't be an issue. It will make the room look more open.

Or-

Price out building a soffit & stacking cabinets. Choose 1 of those.

Or -

bring ceiling down, which would save $ in long term with heating or cooling.

tolive thanked artistsharonva
  • shirlpp

Do what you can right now - then - decide how you can finish to the top - later. Maybe once the kitchen is done, have someone photoshop it for you. I agree "gag" on the soffit.

tolive thanked shirlpp
  • scottie mom

I also vote cased opening + lower ceiling. Solves a lot of problems.

tolive thanked scottie mom
    Skippack Tile & Stone

What are your upper cabinet dimensions? Is trim part of the total? Post your layout as well; upper cabinets are usually set 18" off counter, can you do 20" instead?

tolive thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • hummingalong2
    There's no way I would lower a 10' ceiling to 8'!!
    Have some proportionally substantial crown on the ceiling and leave the gap. I have a gap, and I've seen many beautiful kitchens with a gap..I rarely clean up there..put some shelf paper up there with a couple of thumb tacks and change it out occasionally...when you think about it...rarely (:
    tolive thanked hummingalong2
  • tolive thanked hummingalong2
  • mishmosh

I know you can do cabinets to a 9' ceiling. I don't think 1' of trim would look bad at all.

GreenDesigns

9' of cabinets is stacked cabinets. 12" of trim is as expensive as another 6" of that cabinet stack. And looks far worse. It's not proportionate.

There is no way around 10' does not cost additional money. 10' costs a lot of extra money throughout the whole build, and also later, to keep heating and cooling and properly humidifyimg that added volume. Someone designed a house outside their budgetary dimensions if the additional height can't be afforded to be handled properly for all of the home's elements.. Fix the design.

Or add money to the budget to go along with all of the many additional costs that a 10' ceiling brings. Windows and doors are WAY more expensive. HVAC is more expensive. Drywall, paint, trim, all is more expensive. Cabinets are way more expensive.

Choosing 10' impacts costs in all directions for a build. It's an overall big price increase beyond just taller framing lumber.

Design decisions like this have a huge impact on affordability.

tolive thanked GreenDesigns