0

Please Help Update My 80's TX Ranch Kitchen

bergiesgirl
last modified: January 12, 2019

We are finally updating our kitchen, six years after we moved in only a few changes have been made.

The footprint and stainless steel appliances are staying the same. We will be installing Granite Countertops (giallo ornamental light, cant change). Changing pendant lights (purchased), brushed bronze hardware (purchased, can change), painting cabinets white, adding trim to soffits and painting same white as cabinets, adding white subway tile backsplash, potential change to above sink lighting and center of kitchen lighting, new paint in the eat in kitchen, and changing the floor tile. Of course we are doing this all on budget with 0 DIY skills. DH wants me to talk to someone other than him about all these things, so here I am :). Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Dilemmas - Very little natural light in the kitchen. While the countertop has white it does read warm, I think the current lighting will magnify it. How do I counteract/work with this since I prefer cooler tones. I am trying to not skew too traditional, I love like a transitional cottage style. I do have 4 and 6 year old boys who while being adorable are very messy.

1. What White to paint Cabinets - contractor recommends SW Pure White, I think BM Dover White is a little creamier may go with countertop better but I don’t want it to read yellow.

2. What Color Subway Tile & Grout- would prefer to use a budget priced subway tile, like DalTile or AmericaOlean. We already have Artic White DalTile, but may be too white for baksplash.

3. What to do with empty space above sink. Same subway tile as rest of backsplash or decorative tile?

4. Decorative Tile Above Sink - Willing to splurge here since we need 12 sq ft max. Either white interesting shape, or Marble Mosaic with subtle veining so it doesn’t clash with countertop pattern .

5. Should I change the canned light above sink to hanging light or semi flushmount. If so should we remove the header hiding the can light?

6. Should I change the light in middle of kitchen, I feel as though no matter what because of the cover the light emitting will be yellow no matter what bulb I use?

7. Floor Tile – Clueless. Definitely looking for budget tile since we need 300 sq ft as this includes kitchen, eat in and hallway to garage. Rest of hom has handscraped wood, installed 6 years ago,

I love the look of the porcelain that looks like dark slate floor, but think it may be high

maintenance.

Original Kitchen

Kitchen Now Middle Light, and yes only one pendant light working :(

Kitchen with middle light off, typical morning of soccer and breakfast

Granite - Giallo Ornamental Light

Oil Rubbed Bronze Handles, also have pulls

Smoked Glass Cloche pendants from RH have been sitting in garage for 3 years.

• apple_pie_order

If you keep the floor tile, your budget will be easier. Try having it professionally cleaned. Then you can use a grout paint that matches the beige floor tile. It will look fresh and new.

bergiesgirl thanked apple_pie_order
  • Michelle misses Sophie

A quick comment on the decorative tile by the sink, marble is porous and can stain, so it's not the best material for that wet area. Also, the smaller the tile, the more grout lines to keep clean. A warm white in an interesting (but not overly-busy) shape for the entire backsplash would be nice in the space.

• bergiesgirl

Thank for the responses. Not replacing the tile isn’t an option as it is one of the things I hate most. It’s blue, tan, pink, grey and beige with large grout lines. i know it will be a hit to budget, but hope I can find affordable complementary tile.

Michelle we are definitely looking at the option of keeping one backsplash the whole way through. We do have marble countertops in the kids bathrown as well as our own for over 3 years and still love it. So maybe I should revise to I don’t mind medium maintenanc, but my big issue is the current floor that shows everything.