Your shopping cart is empty.
Find the right pro for your project

what kind of Palm is this?

ssunitha
January 12, 2019
last modified: January 14, 2019

what kind of Palm is this (picture)? The trunk on these doesn’t seem to grow much, which is what I am looking for.
Was originally considering Sago Palm, but the trunk for those seems to grow a few feet over time.

Comments (6)
  • Christopher C Nc

Those are sago palms that have not grown a trunk yet.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

And, of course, despite the name, they aren't actually palms. They're cycads.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

Normally you would not want anything growing up in front of your windows. Even those Sagos will get too large for that space in time.

• scotjute Z8

Dwarf Palmettoes are more what you are looking for. I have 3 growing in yard and love them.

There are also some ground Yuccas that have a similar look but are bluer. They may be hard to find however.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you can probably get some suggestions here.. if you provide location.. and perhaps a pic of your house ...

as i look at the pic above ... i see a mistake ... foundation plantings are planted to hide the foundation .. NOT on the foundation ... plants should be placed with knowledge of the future potential ... so that they arent literally growing on the siding in a few years ...especially if its a painted house ....

as i look at the pic.... the plants are too close to the house ...

always keep in mind.. that the babe you buy.. is going to grow large .. sooner or later ...

ken

• Embothrium

Yes: trying to do any work on the house shown behind and beneath those stiff cycads would be murder.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).