0

should I paint cabinets charcoal and use what for backsplash

Barbara Beck
last modified: January 12, 2019

Beth H. :

Yes you do. Is there a question in here, somewhere?

Like, what backsplash should I use? I like the gray but not those 2x4 sheets. get a larger tile in a 2x8, 3x9 or 3x12.

These would look nice in a herringbone. CleTile, Thin bricks:

You will also need to install some under cabinet lighting. especially in that back corner

I'd also think hard about removing that decorative spindle trim work on top of your cabs. It's more suited for a country type of decor. with your flooring, counter and tile, you're leaning more modern)

if you can, remove the florescent light box over the sink area and replace with some nice pendants or recessed.

Barbara Beck thanked Beth H. :
  • Michelle misses Sophie

An all charcoal grey kitchen? Is there a reason you want to go that way?

• Barbara Beck

thought a backsplash would pop better. I like the look of charcoal cabinet

• Barbara Beck

My dilemma with oak cabinet and dark counter what do I do for backsplash

• missenigma

I'm curious, what is your flooring?

• missenigma

Are you looking for a monochromatic gray charcoal look with no contrast? That seems to be the direction you're heading.

Right now you're kitchen appears to be at war with itself. You've updated some things that are sleek and more modern - stainless farmhouse sink, appliances, updated door and drawer pulls. At the same time the upper chair rail, the wall art, and the light fixture are from another time and style.

Definitely paint the cabinets but I think it should be something other than charcoal. When oak is painted, I personally like the texture of the grain showing through. Some people feel you need to fill the grain to get a smooth surface. I don't agree. Letting the texture show through has a BIG added benefit. If you're planning on painting yourself, it masks brush marks beautifully.

Beth H. :

barbara, I posted 6 diff options. like any of those?

reread my first comment.

the wood is fine. remove the spindle trim from the tops. get under cab lighting. pick the gray flat bricks I posted

Barbara Beck thanked Beth H. :
    JAN MOYER

No, you should not paint the cabinetry charcoal. You will have a TOMB for a kitchen, unless you are changing flooring and tops Now, what' is the next question? It should be about LIGHTING, to augment and replace the very little you have.

• Barbara Beck

My floors are a bluish gray 2x2 tile. Railing on top of cabinet is coming off Have no wall art just samples of tile. Would like light fixture to change to pendants. Is that the right move. Would prefer to stain not paint cabinets

Beth H. :

Staining is more work than painting. you don't need darker. If anything, paint them a soft white.

But you need better lighting. can you replace that box light over the sink? you need more lighting! Pendants would work, but you still need task lighting over the rest

and, what do you think of the tile choices I posted? yay, nay?

the rug in front of your sink is too larger. get a thinner runner

• missenigma

In order to stain your cabinets, you'll have strip off the existing finish. Beth is correct. That is significantly more labor intensive than painting. It can be done, but it's tedious and time consuming.

• Barbara Beck

Beth H. I do like your tile. As for lighting I have to get in attic to see if I can add another box to put in 3 pendants to balance out the existing power boxes.

Randy Trainor

We would leave the cabinets as is, and go for the lightest color in your countertop for a backsplash unless you want to do white.

Contemporary Kitchen & Bath · More Info

• cat_ky

Leave your cabinets, they are very nice the way they are. Your kitchen is already too dark, brighten it up, pick your backsplash to go with your floor and countertops. Take that ugly rail off the top of your cabinets, and brighten up your paint a bit, and add some light in there. It will be beautiful if you lighten and brighten. Do not add any more dark to it.