FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

nutsaboutplants

Clementine cake!

nutsaboutplants

Olychick, a big thank you for that suggestion to mtn about clementine cake. I made it today, didn’t even follow the recipe that closely and it’s just divine. I’d been intrigued by the recipe, as were others, and had been wanting to try it. Couldn’t find clementines anywhere, but somewhere on the “internets” I read that the mandarins labeled as cuties or sweeties are clementines. So I headed to Walmart where I remembered seeing “cuties.” Picked up a bag. Didn’t follow the recipe that closely as I didn’t cook the clementines for 2 hours as the recipe called for, but only about an hour and let it sit until it cooled down. I think I followed the rest of the recipe reasonably closely. My son and I just loved it. It’s so moist and flavorful, and other than the cup of sugar, not that unhealthy. Going to try with less sugar next time, as it turned out to be a tad too sweet with a cup.

Again, thank you!

• Joaniepoanie

Ok.....my attempt at this cake was a bust.....but not because of me or the recipe. I had suspected my oven was not calibrated correctly and baking this cake confirmed it, even though I thought I had made the right adjustment. The bottom clearly burned a bit, stuck to the pan, and this is what I got when I turned it upside down onto the plate.....haha!

One tip......I was able to buy bulk raw almonds at my grocery store and about 3/4 lb gave me the 2 1/3 cup ground almonds needed. They ground up in a jiffy in my small Nutri Bullet.

nutsaboutplants thanked Joaniepoanie
  • nutsaboutplants

Joanie, I too ground fresh slided almonds in a coffee grinder. sorry that your oven didn’t cooperate. I found the recipe very easy to follow and the cake itself fairly fool proof, if you want to try the recipe. The only modification I made was to not boiled the oranges for the full 2 hours, as they looked about fully cooked about an hour into the boiling process.

• Sara
    I wanted to make this cake tonight but the kids had eaten all the clementines I bought for it :/. I was inspired by this month’s Cook Country-they have a recipe that looks amazing.
    nutsaboutplants thanked Sara
  • Feathers11

Made Nigella's cake yesterday but used Meyer Lemons in place of the clementines. I did not add more sugar but added a hefty dose of freshly grated ginger (probably 2T), and it turned out well. I put it in the refrigerator overnight but don't recommend it. I think it will be better at room temperature. I plan to serve it with whipped cream.

Easy recipe. No flour and a relatively small amount of sugar.

(Also posted this in cooking... apologies for any redundancies.)

ETA I recommend the cake, but don't recommend storing it in refrigerator.

nutsaboutplants thanked Feathers11
  • nutsaboutplants

Feathers, good to know! I have meyer lemons. The ginger-lemon combo is one of my favorites. I put gibs of ginger when I make lemondade. Am going to try your variation when meyer lemons are still in season.

Sara, I know, it’s hard to keep oranges from being eaten!

• Sara
    I wanted to add re the Cooks Country recipe-the researched the issue of boiling the clementines and actually end up microwaving them instead-much faster.
    nutsaboutplants thanked Sara
  • happy2b…gw

I cannot wait to try the lemon/ginger combination. I sliced and froze half of the cake I made with oranges and a yellow cake mix. Husband and I would have eaten the entire cake ourselves, but our waistlines would have suffered. I would imagine that the clementines need to be fork punctured before microwaving. Nice to know that they can be microwaved, especially if I am pressed for time.

nutsaboutplants thanked happy2b…gw
  • nutsaboutplants

Sara, so glad to see they can be microwaved!

• lobby68

I made this over the weekend for my husband's birthday. 10/10 would make again. I used a chocolate ganache for the top but think it would be great alone or with all kinds of toppings. I used a bit of the juice from boiling the cuties in the ganache and think it would make a good glaze as well. I'm going to make one for my celiac daughter and pop it in the mail to her. Hope that works!!!

nutsaboutplants thanked lobby68
  • happy2b…gw

Clementine cake obsession.

nutsaboutplants thanked happy2b…gw
  • nutsaboutplants

Lobby, I too was glad that this cake is virtually gluten-free. Happy2b, yes, it’s an obsession. I’ve baked it twice in the last week. And I’m not a cake person.

• maire_cate

Sara - could you post the Cook's Illustrated recipe - my subscription lapsed so I can't access it.

nutsaboutplants thanked maire_cate
  • happy2b…gw

Despite having several slices of the cake mix with oranges version in my freezer, if I have some time I want to bake the clementine and take it with me to my brother's house next week. It is that good and fun to bake.

nutsaboutplants thanked happy2b…gw
  • Sara
    From Cooks Country:
    nutsaboutplants thanked Sara
  • Sara
    And the recipe
    nutsaboutplants thanked Sara
  • Feathers11

Thanks for posting that Sara. I'm making this again but am following Nigella's recipe since the crowd I'll be serving it to has some gluten issues. This time, it's for a special occasion, so I'm going to make 2 cakes and layer them with a cream cheese frosting. It will take extra time since I only have 1 springform pan. I found candied orange slices at Trader Joe's that I initially thought I'd layer on the top like the photo but the slices are chewy. I think instead I'll chop them and sprinkle on the top. I hope the layering works and the bottom doesn't cave!

• nutsaboutplants

Thanks Sara for the recipe. I like the Nigella version better, because it’s less sugar and no flour (wheat-tolerance issues with my son). But this other variation does look yummy.

• maire_cate

Sara - thank you for posting the recipe. How timely - I just noticed the date at the bottom of the page and it's the current issue of Cook's Country. I have to stop at Wegman's this morning so I'll look for clementines and the almonds and then try it out tomorrow in time for a family birthday this weekend.

• cleo07

Ok so I just made this and have a few questions....mine is very good, brightly flavored and really reminds me of my Italian grandparents and the cakes I ate at their house growing up.

I just want to clarify about the almonds...I bought whole, raw almonds and processed them until fine. I was afraid of overprocessing to almond butter.

Is the cake supposed to have a somewhat gritty almond texture or should I have gone further with processing? Has anyone substituted almond flour for the ground almonds?

nutsaboutplants thanked cleo07
  • nutsaboutplants

Cleo, I bought sliced almonds and ground them really fine in a coffee grinder. I could feel the texture of the almonds, but it was not gritty. I like it that way. I do have almond meal and could have used it, but this tastes more flavorful to me.

• bbstx

It has a texture similar cornbread, in my experience. I use almond meal from Trader Joe’s. This is the first year in about 6 or 7 that I haven’t made Nigella’s Clementine Cake.

nutsaboutplants thanked bbstx
  • cleo07

Thank you both. . I guess mine is correct then. it does remind me of orange cornbread. I’ll try almond meal next time to see the difference. .

nutsaboutplants thanked cleo07
  • graywings123

How important is it to use an 8 inch springform pan? What other options have you used, and did you adjust the bake time?

• bbstx

I think I used an 8” cake pan. If I didn’t, I used a 9” springform pan. Whichever, it seemed to work fine. It’s been a while since I made.

• cleo07

I used 9 inch cake and springform pans each time I made it. They we’re finished in 50 mins roughly.

• nutsaboutplants

I use any size I have handy. as long as it spreads no more than 2 inches deep. I also use mostly egg whites and only a couple of yolks.. it’s a pretty forgiving cake.

• graywings123

Woo-hoo! I found an 8.5 inch square cake pan, 2 inches high, in the cupboard. I'm in business!

• writersblock (9b/10a)

Is there a reason not to use almond flour if you have some on hand?

• nutsaboutplants

None at all. You can use almond flour. Actually I’ve started making this cake at least once a week and bought a huge supp,y of almond flour. The texture is actually nicer but the almond flavor came through just a little better when I ground the almonds each time.

• writersblock (9b/10a)

Thanks, that's very helpful!

• terezosa / terriks

I want to make this cake for my book club meeting on Tuesday. Would it be okay to make it today (Sunday)? How to store it? Should I make a glaze or serve with whipped cream? I also like the chocolate ganache idea.

• bbstx

I refrigerate mine when I make it. The first time, I didn’t and it molded pretty quickly, I thought.

• Feathers11

I agree with bbstx. If you were serving it tomorrow, I would not refrigerate. But between now and Tuesday, yes. I would let it cool completely, then wrap tightly and refrigerate. I've made this a few times, and it will kinda fall apart easily if not carefully handled. So perhaps just refrigerate in the pan you cook it in.

It really lends itself to a variety of toppings. The last one I made was a cream cheese frosting with chopped crystalized ginger. I tried a glaze but it made the cake too soggy (and it's moist enough on its own). A sprinkle of powdered sugar is easy. I have not tried the chocolate ganache.

• terezosa / terriks

I think that I'll make it tomorrow. I bought the ingredients for the ganache, because I love orange and chocolate together.

• Sara
    Ok, I have the Cooks Country version in the oven. I thought about the Nigella version but reviews pretty mixed for that one on Chowhound so thought I’d start here. I have an orange bread recipe of my grandma’s that used a whole orange, ground, and isn’t bitter at all-so I’m curious to see how this turns out.
  • Olychick

There are lots of similar recipes for orange cakes, it seems, but the appeal of Nigella's and the reason I even tried it was that it is gluten free; perfect when you need a delicious gf dessert.

• Sara
    Update: it was delicious! I would definitely make again. I underbaked a little and didn’t have time for the glaze and candies oranges but it was a hit with DH and I and the 6 kids we had running around. I’ll definitely try Nigella’s sometimes-didn’t need to be GF this time.
  • nutsaboutplants

Have been making the nigella version pretty much every week. We love it so much that i boil a large batch of clementines and save them for multiple uses. made it for my coffee/breakfast get together with my two best friends and it was gone it no time.

• bbstx

Nuts, have you ever frozen the cooked clementines in a cake-size portion? If so, did you do it after you had whirled them in the food processor or before?

• Sara
    I will say the Cooks Country method of microwaving the clementines worked like a charm-covered for 3-4 minutes until soft.
  • nutsaboutplants

Bbstx, no, I haven’t tried freezing cooked clementines. I suspect freezing and thawing would change the texture. i just leave them in the refrigerator. Sara, I opt for the nigella version and microwaving doesn‘t work for that recipe. I tried once.

• terezosa / terriks

My cake is baked and cooling on the counter. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.

• nutsaboutplants

Do tell us how it turned out after you taste it!

• Olychick

Well, after all this recent talk about Clementine cake, I finally had to make one. It's been a couple of years since I made this recipe. Had a GF eating friend come for dinner and I've been hankering to make this since this thread took off. I had no clementines, 2 mandarin oranges, some lemons and a couple of blood oranges. So I used one blood orange, one lemon and the 2 mandarins. It turned out wonderfully! Yum!!!

• nutsaboutplants

Good to know Oly! Trying next time with other types ofranges. I don’t always have clementines handy.

• terezosa / terriks

The cake was a big hit with my book club! I used "cuties" (mandarins), and topped it with chocolate ganache because - well chocolate!

• hhireno

Have any of you frozen the cooked, grounded up clementines for future use?

• nutsaboutplants

Hhinero, I haven’t frozen them, but have saved cooked, un-mashed clementines in the fridge for a few days with good results.

• hhireno

Thanks. I might as well try it, it’s not too much to lose if they don’t hold up well.

• blfenton

After a thread about healthy desserts I made a clementine cake which was discussed on Friday. I used 6 small mandarins (by Halo) and 2 1/3 cups almond flour, 6 eggs, baking powder, vanilla and a dash of cinnamon and it was really good. I baked it in a 9" cake pan as my spring form pan is quite large. This was a practice for Easter. I have a future DIL who is celiac and another who is gluten intolerant. This is the recipe I used

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016184-clementine-cake