0

Mix plantation shutters with curtains on sliding glass door?

Molly
last modified: January 12, 2019

I love plantation shutters. I bought them in my last home, and they were gorgeous. I much prefer them to curtains. But, I have a problem. I’m now in a townhome with a sliding glass door in my small dining room with a small window on either side. If I put plantation shutters throughout this home, what do I do on this sliding door that feels cohesive? Would it be weird to have random curtains hanging only on the door and not the windows? And if I hang curtains across the whole section (windows and sliding door), do I also have to hang them in the living room which is just a few feet away? Or is there an alternative solution? Maybe this space needs curtains? Help!

• tatts

Nobody expects a sliding glass door to have the same treatment as a window. That would be silly.

Beth H. :

oh those mini blinds! have you considered inset shades or blinds for those? Cellulars, woven woods, roman blinds, would all look so much better.

as for the slider, you can do this

but if you switched out the slider for french doors, you would have more options

some window ideas

• Cookie1930

I would probably put a rod above all three windows and add curtains. It would give the appearance of one large window . Whatever you decide the same exact curtain needs to go on the other window. I wonder why the builder felt the need for the two windows on either side of the patio door. This is unique; I can hardly wait to see what others may suggest.

• Hansen
    good job Beth
  • arcy_gw

The challenge is the lack of room for a stack on the sides. We much prefer our french door over the slider it replaced. Beth offered some fabulous looks.

• iheartsix
    Depending on how you use your slider and if you choose to keep it, bypass plantation shutters are gorgeous. We have them on our slider - get a lot of compliments on them.
  • Karen Rose
    I also have the slider plantation shutters and love them!
  • Molly

Thanks everyone! I did consider both slider plantation shutters and replacing with French doors. With the slider, I was worried in our small space it would be too shutter heavy. I don’t love the sliding door, and French doors would look so much better - we are just contemplating how much money we want to invest in a place that isn’t our forever home. We have already replaced all the flooring and countertops, and repainted the entire home top to bottom. The shutters will be another big chunk of change, but the vertical blinds and old wood blinds have to go! :)

• Cookie1930

Molly, if you have the means to remove the glass door that's a great idea as well. Let's us know ( with pictures) when you make the final decision. I'd love to see what you did. By the way I just love this website. Everyone seems to be so nice and helpful .

• maddielee

Compare the price of Plantation Shutters for the slider to the price of French Doors with the blinds between the class. We found that the price of replacing the sliders with the French doors was not too much more expensive. We replaced 3 sets of sliders and are very happy with the French Doors.

Ours were installed so they open out (covered lanai) be sure you have the room to do so.

• iheartsix

Molly, we found the shutters for our slider to be pretty comparable price wise to a set of French doors. We preferred the 3 1/2 inch slat look of the plantation shutter versus inside blinds/French door. But, pricing is comparable :)

• chloebud

Molly, I would definitely have someone come to give suggestions for plantation shutters. My mom had them installed on a sliding patio door and they looked amazing. They also made the room look larger. Huge improvement over the drapes she had. Yes, shutters are pricey, but, unlike other window treatments, they can add value to your home. We have them throughout our home...installed by the previous owners. Ours are all 3.5" slats, but you can get them wider. My choice now would be at least 4".