Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeremyandnaomireid

Baby Bedroom Decorating Dilemma!

J&N Reid
5 years ago

We are decorating our babies room for June. I originally wanted the all white look. We went to Pottery barn outlet and I found some grey furniture I really loved and bought it. Now I am regretting it because its not the look I wanted. I have to work with this furniture. Any ideas on how to make my room still have that all white fairy sort of a feel with this furniture?

Comments (16)

• J&N Reid
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Would a hanging white canopy sheer help?

• J&N Reid
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I also thought of patterned white wall paper on one wall?

• J&N Reid thanked anna_682
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Do you know what you’re having? If a girl, this would be the perfect time to throw some pale pink in the room in the form of a furry rug. Gray and pink is very chic for baby girl nurseries. I follow this girl on YouTube that did a similar style for her baby’s nursery, take a look at this link. She links where she bought things too. Hope this helps and congrats!
    J&N Reid thanked K R
  • Rachel Lee
    5 years ago
    White bedding, a plush white rug, white curtains(lined), and some art on the walls will all take you where you want to go.
    J&N Reid thanked Rachel Lee
  • della70
    5 years ago

Do you have a changing table? I don't know if that's done anymore. But if it is, I would get a white one and remove that a-frame bookshelf. I would also suggest a nursery lamp in all white to replace the lamp you have on the dresser. It will all come together as soon as you add the other elements suggested in the other posts. Best of luck to you and family!

J&N Reid thanked della70
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Any of these styles could work with yellow or pink which both look good with gray.

Children's Nursery room and Play room · More Info

Boy's Industrial Nursery · More Info

Soothing Tranquil Nursery · More Info

J&N Reid thanked decoenthusiaste
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Pick a warmer wall colour.
    J&N Reid thanked jbtanyderi
  • pkisch
    5 years ago

Glass knobs on the dresser will lighten it up.

J&N Reid thanked pkisch
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Is that crib finished in a smooth sealed non-toxic paint? If it does not say it is non-toxic paint, take it back. No splinters nor rough finish nor questionable paint for the baby’s bed. Get rid of the teepee-shaped shelving. That looks like it could be toppled by a little kid unless it is bolted to the wall. You need a changing table/dresser combination with plenty of drawers. You can attach a belt strap to the back of the dresser and the underside of the top inside the top drawer to keep the baby safe while on the changing pad.
    Gray is okay for a baby’s room, but it needs to be brightened with white paint, a white dresser and white accessories. Then add color to the mix with art, a quilt and blankets, or a painted rocker.
    J&N Reid thanked felizlady
  • mvcanada
    5 years ago

I think what you've bought can work really well, but you need to make some changes to add some colour and softness for sure. I'd start with painting the walls, or if it is something you like, you could consider wallpaper. Wallpaper has improved by leaps and bounds in the last while and has become very popular. Even one wall done with wallpaper and coordinating paint colour would make a huge difference.

If wallpaper isn't your choice....there are many wall decals that would brighten the room and they could pick up on a theme or be the start of a theme. Have you chosen your bedding for the crib? That's a good place to start and that may then help you choose wall colours and colours for a rug if you want one.

Here is a set from Wayfair that is very pretty and soft looking - I think it would look great with your grey furniture and would work equally well for a boy or girl - very neutral and classic looking. It also comes in a cream colour that might work well.

Here is another one that might be cute - but you'll have to check if it would go well with the grey in your furniture.

I would choose lots of soft furnishings in light colours to make it all come together. I'd look for a lambskin throw as well, like this one- they are so soft and cozy and can be put down on the floor when its tummy time for baby or be on the back of your rocker to help soften it a bit when you are sitting and rocking - sometimes those rocking sessions are loooonnnnngggg.

I think the bookcase/shelving unit isn't a good fit for the room. I'd find another home for it. Maybe when your baby is a little older it will work well in a playroom or a small child's bedroom.

I'd look for a lovely throw rug to go on top of the carpet.

Even if you don't know if it is a boy or girl you can find lots of really lovely colours that will brighten and soften the look of the room.

J&N Reid thanked mvcanada
  • et phonehome
    5 years ago
    I know the white nursery would look beautiful as you wait for the baby to arrive... I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but white and babies aren't a good combination unless you don't mind when things are stained from throw up, diaper explosions etc or you are able to replace when the inevitable occurs. What you got is beautiful - just enjoy the new bundle and have a smooth easy birth with a healthy mommy and baby at the end! Good luck as you start this be journey :)
    J&N Reid thanked et phonehome
  • Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    Gray is very trendy now in nurseries, and does terrific combinations with other colours, as your crib does with your powder pink chair. Nonetheless, I think being a bit darker, your furniture highly contrast with the crisp white walls. Consider to repaint the walls in a very light gray, this will soften the contrast, then add white, darker gray, powder pink in wall art (maybe mural o decal in the wall behind the crib or behind changing station) and textils and decoration (window treatment, pillows, beddings, a rocking plush lamb...). And yes, this A library doesn’t belong there.
    J&N Reid thanked Daniela Marino
  • Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    Just color combinations
  • Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    In nurseries:
Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!