Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lec5848

Backyard Sidewalk - What To Do?

Lauren
5 years ago
We have a sidewalk which runs through the middle of our backyard and leads to nothing. Our dilemma is what to do with it?? We are trying to essentially remove the sidewalk so that the grass is continuous from one side to the other, but are also concerned with cost. I know drainage is a big issues, but the sidewalk funnels water directly towards the house. So removing the sidewalk would actually be a benefit in that area.

We really do not want to leave it because there is not really room to build a feature at the end. Some options we have thought about are:

1. jackhammer it out, refill dirt, and lay sod
2. add dirt over the sidewalk and then lay sod (main concern with this is because we are in Texas the grass might die from the heat the sidewalk causes from being underneath)
3. We are open to ideas!!

The picture below is the only one I have and is the original listing photo, I will try to upload some better pictures!

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Option #1. Removing a sidewalk/pathway is not that diffcult to do. And if it is already cracked (as many tend to be), you won't even need a jackhammer - just a pry bar and sledge. Good way to release any pent up aggressions you may harbor :-))

Your reasoning to remove is dead on.......a path or walkway must have a proper destination!!

• Bruce (Vancouver Island)
    5 years ago

I know you said that you wanted continuous grass from one side to the other but I am not a grass sort of guy. And I know gardengal48 said a path must have a proper destination but I feel the journey is more important than the destination.

So I have an alternative for you. Place a raised garden bed (either edged with timbers such as old rail ties, or even 2by8's, or with rocks) on both sides of the path and fill them with beautiful flowering plants, shrubs and small trees. Then you can stroll back and forth enjoying the sights and smells all year long! Just my 2 cents worth!

• edenchild
    5 years ago

Why do you have two different threads running for this?

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/backyard-dilemma-dsvw-vd~5589190?n=4

• Lauren
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the helpful concern! I have two threads under different topics and the other is a poll. Please feel free to vote on the other or give some helpful advice! Thanks :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Polls are not anything that is encountered on the GardenWeb side of the platform and since the LD forum is primarily a GW forum, 95% of the responders will ignore them. And good landscape design is not typically something that is decided by popular vote anyway :-) Also not sure where any poll results turn up....seems kinda pointless to me.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    5 years ago

If the walk doesn't make sense (or can't be made to make sense) for a functional reason, then it should be removed. It should not be covered up with soil for multitude of reasons.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

And to add to Yardvaark’s comment, if it is funneling water towards the house, adding soil and plants won’t change that as well as grass not growing well with such a shallow root run. When you remove and replant, be sure the soil is graded away from the house. This may involve bringing in someone to help you figure out grading that will not dump water onto a neighbor’s property, but will also not pond it near the house. So be thinking about where the water can go such as a rain garden or a swale that leads to the street.

If you are likely to want to create raised beds, chunks of recycled concrete AKA “urbanite” makes great stone walls.

• Jennifer
    5 years ago

You may be able to get rid of the broken concrete more easily than you imagine. We just had a concrete porch poured and the interior was filled with "rubble". The rubble was broken concrete. We had a small pile from a mow strip we removed ourselves but it didn't make dent in the amount that was needed. The rest was hauled in by the concrete contractor.