Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie422

Need help with small living room layout

angie422
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We just moved into a rental and I'm having a hard time finding a layout that works well. We don't have a ton of furniture but we have a pretty oversized sofa which makes moving things around a little frustrating. But the sofa is new and it's super comfy, so we just have to work around it.

Problem #1 : The livingroom has a little alcove that we've placed the TV in, but that alcove is in the flow of traffic to the kitchen. So we have to walk in front of the TV everytime we need to get into the kitchen. But if we don't put the TV there, then what DO we put there?

Problem #2: We teach music lessons at home, so we'd like to have a separate space for our music teaching area. This space would include our piano, cello, a few violins, and a small chair.

The following layouts are what I've come up with:

First image

- This has the TV in the alcove and the piano against the large wall. Again, we have to walk in front of the TV to get to the kitchen (which feels awkward to me). The wall that shares the kitchen is only a half wall, by they way.

The second image has the couch parallel to the door. I don't mind it but it feels and looks kind of tight.

This third layout is similar to the second one but the couch is perpendicular to the door. This defines the lounging area well, but I don't really see a defined music teaching area. The brown cabinet in the alcove is full of music books and the bookcase by the front door will also hold things for teaching.

I would love any advice on this! Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    5 years ago

The second image gives the most room for the music teaching and people don't have to walk in front of the tv in order tog et to the kitchen. That's the one I would pick. I like more room in the room as opposed to the furniture spread out more. However, still in that same second image - have you ever considered putting the couch on the diagonal? That would give you more room in both the music area and the tv viewing area.

angie422 thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • Denise Marchand
    5 years ago

Could you post pics of the actual space?

1) Entering from front door

2) Wall with alcove

3) Wall where you have located the piano

4) From front entrance angled to bottom left

Can you lighten up the floor plan without the dark flooring and repost with dimensions?

a) Overall dimensions

b) Dimensions all the way around the room

I am assuming the kitchen and the half wall is at the bottom of the plan so that when entering you face the half wall. Is this correct?

All of the plans posted seem to cut the space in half limiting each space. Will anyone be in the room when students are there?

I would love to help. I'm sure we can come up with something good.

• Denise Marchand
    5 years ago

I was intrigued with your room and considering your requirements this is a floor plan I think might work for you

In order to open up the room properly, place the sofa under the window. I love TV easels. My favorite is the one at Restoration Hardware, however, they are now available everywhere, like Wayfair, Overstock, etc. You would have so much adjustment available to properly place it and it's an interesting solution. The profile is also less intrusive and can hold a very large tv.

Use the niche (where you first located the tv) as a desk area where you can also hang the violins. Place the bookcase on the left of the desk niche for easy access. I think you probably don't need that much room to enter the kitchen in any case and a bookcase is only 12"-15" deep.

I added a decorative screen (off the entrance) to indicate the music area for the piano, chair and cello.

I don't know what the cabinets are, but it seems they are low. This would be nice in front of the half wall (?) and the demilune table at the entrance and a lamp. You would even have room for a good size coffee table and lounge chair and ottoman. Make sure the lounge chair and ottoman is not too overstuffed and on the smaller size.

The trick with this room to to have pleasant elevations. For example, the sofa under the window could have a good window treatment framing the sofa, especially since it's the only window. Locate one of the cabinets to the right of the sofa which can serve as a surface also.

The back wall (kitchen?) would have the lounge chair and ottoman and the other cabinet behind it.

The nice thing about the niche is that it will be extremely functional and out of the way. Search your local thrift stores or craigslist for an interesting desk to fit, Art above the desk, a nice lamp, some shelves, match the chair at the piano with the desk chair (or not).

Hope this helps.

angie422 thanked Denise Marchand
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

IMO there isn't anything wrong with walking in front of a TV to get to another room in a home. I like the first image, it utilizes the alcove, it gives a bit of space to add a chair, you have space around it to place your instruments where things are not cluttered. It seems to offer the best flow for what you need. Best Wishes!

angie422 thanked shirlpp
  • angie422
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions! You've given me some great ideas to think about. Unfortunately I don't have a budget to buy anything new for this room so I have to work with what we have for now. @Elaine I think I might try out the couch diagonally and see how I like it.