Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Time for Apricot, Orange Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
5 years ago

There are many beautiful roses in this color class, although I don’t have that many. I am mostly looking forward to seeing everyone else’s.

LADY OF SHALOTT

TROPICANA

CRAZY LOVE

EASY DOES IT

CL. AMERICA

FOLKLORE

Comments (50)

• lkayetwvz5
    5 years ago

Carding Mill

Pat Austin

Abraham Darby

Colette

sara_ann-z6bok thanked lkayetwvz5
  • Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Fragrant Cloud - Not sure how the color is coming out on this, she is a DARK ORANGE. This rose is absolutely stunning, with intense fragrance to match

Crown Princess Margarita

Just Joey - my favorite apricot

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Love those peachy colors.

Lady of Shallot first year

Sunset Dreams

Bush shot of LOS

Easy Does it

Soul Sister

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Karen, I love your Just Joey

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

Ohh my goodness....I am going to love this thread!

Jen...what is the second rose you pictured? It's really pretty. Also, is that The Lark Acsending further down?

Karen...I love your Just Joey

Kristine...your Sunset dreams is to die for. It reminds me a little bit of Augusta Louise. How tall is it getting for you?

I never paid much attention to peach and orange colored roses until I fell in love with huge specimen of Royal Pageant I saw in the middle of a pea patch garden. Now this is my favourite color of roses and my peach/apricot and orange/yellow rose beds are the biggest in my garden!

Royal Pageant:

Royal Pageant:

Here are roses from my garden. All of then are just getting started.

Colette:

Colette (I can't wait until mine looks more like nanadoll's!):

Tamora:

Tamora again, looking more pink:

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

Just Joey:

Standard form of Anne Boylen:

Evelyn:

Grace:

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

and lastly...Polka:

I need to count, but I think I might have around 50 more different apricot and orange roses in my new garden. I can't wait to share pictures this year! They will be in their second season, so I should be getting a lot more blooms.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Love the apricot/orange/gold/yellow blends!

I see nearly everybody has Lady of Shalott. She's one of my favorites also.

Sara, your Crazy Love is very attractive!

Karen, your Fragrant Cloud is a classic HT--so beautiful!

Rosylady--your Royal Pageant is quite impressive. That one is new to me. Beautiful. I like your Anne Boleyn also.

And here are mine:

Lady of Shalott (Austin)--showing more orange than usual.

Molineux (Austin)--changes color a lot, but sometimes has a rather intense apricot in the center.

Buff Beauty (hybrid musk)--usually a pale buff flower, but sometimes picks up a lot of apricot shadings as in this picture.

Elle (floribunda)--I seem to always put her in several categories--she changes a lot, and sometimes shows a lot more apricot than at other times.

Valencia (HT)--I don't have her any more--just not quite hardy enough for my Zone 6 garden, unfortunately--cuz I really enjoyed her while she was here.

That's it.

Kate

sara_ann-z6bok thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Wow!! I love these roses

Roselady, 50 peachy apricot colored roses . Spectacular!.

Your Tamora is gorgeous as is Polka

Kate, your Buff Beauty and Elle are gorgeous.

My Sunset Dreams was listed as 2 to 3 ft. Mine is about 3 ft and it blooms like crazy. But I wish I had Crazy Love

What a beauty .

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Everyone’s roses are so beautiful, I just live this thread!

RioSamba

WinterSun - I generally think of this as a white but it sometimes gets a really pretty deep apricot center

Sriracha looks kinda reddish here but trust me it‘s orange. Not very disease resistent if it doesn’t improve it will probably be gone

Westerland. I love everything about this rose.

CreamVeranda. Just a baby but I’m really liking her.

Tahitian Sunset. I think I killed it when I moved it last year. I will definitely have to replace it

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Sara Ann, I'm grabbing the first Crazy Love I can find.

Karen, Sunset Dreams is new to me. Gotta look into this. She's a beauty!

Rosylady, Polka has that ruffled form I love.

I need some new pics. Bear with me if you've already seen these more times than you care to.

Ambridge Rose

Versigny - next 2

Mother of Pearl

Mollie

Jude the Obscure

Paul Bocuse

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Crown Princess Margareta

Cream Veranda

Desdemona

Gruss an Aachen

Calypso

Mary Magdalene

Tamora

Uh oh. I just noticed the call was for apricot and orange. I did apricot and peach.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

Port Sunlight

???? Any guesses?

Jude the obscure

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

Flowers, I got Sunset Dreams 2 years ago from Palatine. At first the blooms were just a blah pink and someone on here told me to give it more time and I am glad that I did. It has gotten the two tone color that I was hoping for

Super healthy as well

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    5 years ago

Here's a couple of mine that I like:

Another addition to the Jude The Obscure club, looking a bit more apricot here (baby own root plant that started as a 1 gallon from Heirloom):

The lovely The Lark Ascending (first year plant, grafted from DA) - in the second picture you can see the various stages of the blooms:

^ edited to add that The Lark Ascending was in a really shady spot - I just moved it to a spot with more morning sun as it was struggling a bit, but that it bloomed at all demonstrates that it's definitely shade tolerant.

5 years ago

Very pretty Cyndita. Love your Jude

5 years ago

Kristine, thanks for the tip on waiting for Sunset Dreams to settle in. It would be a good substitute for Augusta Luise for those who missed it. Crazy Love would, too.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Amanda, I'll make a guess that your un-named rose is Chicago Peace--a real beauty.

Kate

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

All of these are so beautiful! I think looking at all of these threads is making me spend more money though. I want ALL of them, right now!!!!

Also, flowers, is that a good representation of Desdemona in your garden? I thought she was white...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

flowersaremusic....your roses are beautiful! I keep seeing pictures of Versigny that I love...I may need to get that one. Also, I couldn't find "Mollie" on helpmefind. Can you tell me more about her?

dublinbay...that picture of Buff Beauty is incredible! Absolutely gorgeous!

oursteelers....I love your Tahitian Sunset. This is another older rose I have wavered about getting.

amanda....Port Sunight is one of my favourites! It's one of the roses that got me interested in these warmer colored roses.

cyndita....thank you for all those pictures of The Lark. That's a rose I will be watching as people post more pictures of it this year. I think we were all enabled by Marlorena on this rose :)

• Deborah MN zone 4
    5 years ago

Oh my goodness! Such gorgeous roses. I do love this category. Here are mine.

Westerland

Buff Beauty

Alchymist

Soul Sister

Boscobel. Killed by borers first winter.

Jude the Obscure. Gone, taken over by rootstock.

Brown Velvet

Molineux

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Deborah MN zone 4
  • Deborah MN zone 4
    5 years ago

Part 2

Joseph’s Coat

Clementina Carbonieri

Lady of Shalott

Abraham Darby

Autumn Sunset, Ghislaine de Feligonde, and Mel’s Heritage

Papi Delbard

Prairie Sunrise. This is a very reliable Buck Rose, sorry I couldn’t find a better photo.

Tamora

That’s all folks. Thanks for looking.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Deborah MN zone 4
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

At what point does WANT become a NEED????

• Claire Z5 IL
    5 years ago

Slowersaremusic, if I have to pick one between Cream Veranda and Desdemona, which one would you recommend? I am in Z5 and am interested in both of them, but I will have to pick only one for now unless I want to plant both in one hole.

Claire

• Claire Z5 IL
    5 years ago

Soul sister looking somewhat different.

Soul sister looking normal

Lady of shallot

Oh no, what is this one? maybe Queen of Sweden when she looks peach.

South Africa

Abe Darby will join my garden this spring. Can‘t wait for April.

Claire

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Claire Z5 IL
    5 years ago

Rosylady, there should be 2 pics of Mollie on HMF. She is a locally bred rose by Ed Odegaard in Eastern WA. He lives in z4, so his roses are hardy. If you like Mollie, you'll like Tracy Jo https://www.northlandrosarium.com/collections/shrub-roses/products/tracy-jo. Mollie just glows in the sun. She's a good bloomer and they are large. I don't detect any fragrance, but you might if your climate is more humid. She's never had a speck of disease in this very dry climate. As far as I know, Northland is the only place that has her. If it's not listed on the Northland site, I'm sure she can easily get it. I liked mine so much I went back for another one.

Claire, Des and Cream V are so different. But, as much as I totally adore Cream Veranda, I think I would choose Desdemona, the taller and more upright of the two with strong fragrance. Cream V has fuller blooms, is a shortie for me, and no fragrance to speak of. Would be a hard decision. Des' blooms get fuller as she gets older.

Oursteelers, Desdemona has never been white in my garden. She has been cream, peach and pink at various times. Not sure if it depends on the weather or what. She often has the same coloring as Jude the Obscure.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Ohhhh for the past few years I though white was my favorite color, lately this has changed. I just LOVE apricots and peaches now. This thread warms my heart and makes me feel like spring is around the corner. I just have a few of these and will be adding Lady of shallot, Lady Emma this year and Augusta Luisse that I think might count as peach some times.

Carding Mill

My Roses and clematis 2018 · More Info

Crown princess Margareta

My Roses and clematis 2018 · More Info

Boscobel is pink/peach

sara_ann-z6bok thanked dianela7analabama
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Dang it! I specifically ordered Desdemona because she is white (see other thread re planning) !

Not that I can’t find a home for her, I certainly can, but now I need another white!

My spending will never stop!!!!

5 years ago

Oursteelers, I checked the photo on the Austin site, and my Desdemona is sometimes that light, but, usually creamier and peachier. Since our zones are so different, don't go by mine. I'd trust the Austin photo to be correct for moderate zones. My roses are sometimes darker in color than I expected. It may be something in the soil or this climate, or some other factor.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

My desdemona is 99% of the time very white. Only during very early spring it shows blush.

5 years ago

I forgot Cream Veranda

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

And Malibu

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Amanda Zone10Socal
    5 years ago

Kate, does chicago peace ever make sprays? This one grows pretty vertical and usually has 5 or so to a spray. The label had something russet, which it clearly is not, so I don’t know :)

rosylady, I am completely in love with the scent of port sunlight, the fruit notes are so nice. The color is so clear and bright too.

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    5 years ago
    This thread...this thread is going to bankrupt me. I want to wallpaper my house with these gorgeous pictures!
  • Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    5 years ago
    Kristine I absolutely adore your cream veranda!
    5 years ago

Thank you Rachel but it was a complete dud this last year

It hardly bloomed at all

I like it so much that I am trying to figure out why it is so unhappy.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was looking through all the gorgeous roses this evening, you all have some real beauties!

A couple of bush shots that I love are Rosylady’s ROYAL PAGEANT and Deborah’s LADY OF SHALOTT. Everyone’s LOS BLOOMS ARE LOVELY and CROWN PRINCESS MARGARITA blooms really stand out, and TAMORA too! Alchymist and Soul Sister are a couple of other favorites! Really they all are!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Crepuscule

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Apricot Candy

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Just Joey

5 years ago

Love Just Joey, what a yummy color

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

And doesn’t Just Joey smell really good too? Another one on the list!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

jc_7a....I just ordered 2 Apricot Candy for this spring. Your pictures are beautiful! It's really nice to see it next to Just Joey (one of its parents) to see the difference. I have 2 JJ, and I'm really looking forward to Apricot Candy!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

rosylady, I was really pleased with AC.

The blooms are more delicate/frail and blow much more quickly than JJ, but they were steady bloomers for me. I had 3 or 4 of them I can't remember.

JJ blooms seemed very sturdy and heavy to me.

5 years ago

Northland is showing an older Buck rose I have not seen before. https://www.northlandrosarium.com/products/winter-sunset. I'm always interested in a z4, continual bloomer. HMF says z5. Does anyone have this rose? I think it would look nice with lavenders and purples.

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Flowers: thanks to Anne in CA notification that Port Sunlight has a nice scent. I checked HMF and it stated: "Tall, climbing, upright, Height of up to 4' 11" .. which means Port Sunlight is more likely to survive our zone 5 better than Winter Sunset. Three people in HMF gave Winter Sunset a below average (NOT excellent) in cold-hardy rating. Versigny gets the same rating in cold hardy as Winter Sunset (NOT safe for zone 5).

The rating system of HMF is excellent & contributed anonymously by anyone. I'm putting in ratings in HMF for my 134 varieties to benefit others regarding zone 5 winter-survival. South Africa gets excellent rating in winter survival, see below:

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.34109&tab=34

Star of the Republic also gets excellent vote on cold-hardy, many thanks to Vaporvac for recommending this low-thron rose, hopefully the above will be on sale during Antique Rose Forum this black Friday:

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.39351&tab=1

3 years ago

That sounds about right, Straw. Versigny always loses a little cane, and lost a lot in our late spring freezes this year. Port Sunlight is one I have not noticed before, but will check it out for 2021. My list is already getting crowded and we haven't even seen all the new 2021 introductions yet. We all need more space. I love Star of the Republic!

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Since so many people in this thread have Lady of Shallot: mine finished a small late summer flush and then sent up two canes that are 8 feet and growing. I want to try training them around an obelisk but the garden centers are sold out until after the Christmas displays are gone and they get some floorspace back. Would next Jan/Feb be too late to pillar LoS because her canes would be too stiff then? Has anyone pillared this rose?

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago

Stephanie: I don't think pillaring a rose at 8 feet tall work in blooming, but horizontal-training does. My lady of Shallot blooms best on DROOPING CANES ... water flows down better that way, and water flows better when canes are trained horizontally. it's hard for water to be pumped up that tall to make blooms.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

I agree that horizontal is ideal for lots of blooms on laterals, but I unfortunately have no space for that in her current spot. So I was thinking that winding the canes around the obelisk and keeping as much horizontal as possible. But the canes may stiffen too much before I can locate an obelisk. I can always cut them back. My initial design was for a tall free standing shrub.