0

Cpartist's Kitchen Finished

cpartist

I know I had said I wouldn't post again until Sophie came back but so many of you helped me with my kitchen and listened to my tales of woe, I didn't think it fair not to show the final product. I also did a thread for my house build but decided to do a separate kitchen one. Here is the thread with my house finished

Now onto my kitchen:

Cabinets: Amish made in Ohio and installed by the store in FL I bought all my woodwork from. They will not do business outside of FL. I'm sorry I do not know who actually made the cabinets.

Island is quarter sawn oak in a dark stain. Sorry I don't remember the stain color.

Perimeter cabinets are brown maple painted SW Classic Light Buff.

Floors: Kahr's Canvas Collection - color Bristle

Counters: Fascination Quartzite

Stained Glass: Glass Crafters, Sarasota FL.

Backsplash: Jeffrey Court 3" x 6" ceramic tile - color Spanish Moss

Ceiling Paint: BM Wilmington Tan flat finish

Trim Paint and divider cabinets between living and dining/kitchen area : BM Cotton Balls semi-gloss

Wall Paint: BM Fernwood Green - matte finish

Glass Pulls and Knobs: Signature Hardware

Appliance Pulls: Amerock - Highland Ridge in Polished Nickel

Island Stools: Midland

Island and Perimeter Hanging Lights: Arroyo Craftsman - Glasgow

Dining Area Light: Arroyo Craftsman - Huntington

Faucets: Rohl Italian Country Kitchen Collection

Prep Sink: Shaw Fireclay Allia Sink

Clean Up Sink: DXV 30" Hillside Fireclay Sink

Dishwasher: Miele G 6785

Refrigerator: Bosch B36IT800NP

Range Hood: Zephyr Monsoon I

Oven: Bosch 500 Series 30" Single Wall Oven - HBL5451UC

Cooktop: Bosch 800 Series 36" Induction Cooktop - NIT8668SUC

Microwave: Sharp 24" Drawer Microwave - SMD2470AS

Dining table, chairs and buffet cabinet all came from my condo.

Starting with the most important thing: Paper Towel Pig! (found on Amazon)

Looking from the living room towards the kitchen

Looking at kitchen from dining area.

Kitchen Island: DW on right. Silverware top drawer. Dishes middle drawer

Under Sink storage pull outs

Silverware storage

• cpartist

Thank you.

This turned out so amazingly. Every time I look at pictures of your place I’m in awe of the cohesiveness and timelessness. Loooove.

Ok putting teacher hat on.

While my idea books had hundreds of wants, I knew I had to narrow it all down to what would work best for my house. My house has a craftsman/bungalow feel, so every element had to work within that idea. That's why it feels timeless. If your house is contemporary, don't put in a traditional kitchen, or if your house is a georgian colonial, don't put in a sleek contemporary kitchen as examples. Make the kitchen, and actually all elements in the house work with the style of house and it will feel timeless.

There are so many fabulous choices nowadays to choose from to create a home/kitchen we will love. Where people get in trouble is trying to put too many of their wants without considering the whole. Or trying to create their environment (whether it's a kitchen, living room, bathroom or whole house) piecemeal. Every decision needs to be considered as part of the whole.

For me the first step was choosing my quartzite. I went to look even before the house was built and fell in love with it so bought it. That gave me a point for colors for the whole house. That also influenced my flooring decision, my cabinets, etc. While this quartzite would never have been in a true craftsman home, I knew I could still achieve the feel with its updated material.

While certain things were chosen "after the fact", they were still chosen based on the overall look and feel. It's so easy though to be distracted by all the pretty baubles and bling out there. Don't!

Those who have seen my early drawings, know that right from the beginning, my stained glass window was going to be there. Did I know what it would look like at the time? (No, but I knew it would have to have a craftsman feel.) Was my layout finalized? No, but I knew eventually I'd have something that worked with the house, my cabinets and the quartzite. And overall, the layout isn't much different from those early drawings.

What is different is my windows in my house and how I mimicked the windows with my cabinet choice. What also is how I made things like the cabinet pulls almost disappear so as not to compete with the other elements.

And be sure to see samples of everything together in the same plane as it will be. Meaning countertops should be horizontal with backsplash vertical against the countertop. Doors should also be vertical. Floors should be horizontal on the floor when you're looking to see if it all works together.

Lastly don't be afraid of color, texture or pattern. Too many become afraid to do something a bit outside the box with those elements and wind up with their spaces looking like everyone else. And lastly, if you love something don't worry what the next owner will do.

Ok I'm done. Off my soapbox. LOL.

• ackcx3
    Gorgeous, cp!!
    Congratulations.
    cpartist thanked ackcx3
  • cpartist

Thank you ackcx!

• gracefullyaged

@cpartist, Would you mind posting a picture of the entire wall that includes your budget niche? A friend is getting ready to build a new home and that would be a perfect application for their downsized kitchen as they will no longer have a formal dining room. Thank you!

cpartist thanked gracefullyaged
  • Holly Stockley

It's lovely, CP. And I'm keeping your advice in my back pocket. If my kitchen comes out half this well, I'll be pleased. ;-)

cpartist thanked Holly Stockley
  • 2ManyDiversions

Ah, finally, what I was waiting for : ) First, lovely to see you back CP, at the very least for your full reveal. As I’m sure many here who know you have anticipated and very much expected, your kitchen is both exceptionally tasteful and highly functional. I love the (paper) towel pig as it keeps with the GW spirit! I know it takes a while to organize a new kitchen, and you’ve done an amazing job – thank you for showing the interior of drawers and cabinets! I still can’t decide if your countertops, your stained glass, the design of your glass cabinets, or your backsplash are my current favorite, but it says something that there are so many favorites! And all so very tastefully appointed : )

How do you like your Zephyr Monsoon range hood? Does it provide good light at the cooktop? We’ve ordered the same, but it’s so hard to know until installation.

Enjoy!

cpartist thanked 2ManyDiversions
    Debbi Washburn

Beautiful! Thank you for doing a kitchen that shows some personality! A white kitchen that has tons of character and warmth and non-white counters and backsplash! And walls that are not white or gray!

I love every detail - the amazing countertop, the stained glass, the organizer options, the quartersawn oak, the lights all the way to the little piggie papertowel holder!

Well done!! Thanks for coming back to share with everyone - I bet a lot of people will be looking at this kitchen.

Enjoy it for many many years to come!

cpartist thanked Debbi Washburn
  • cpartist

LOL. I'm going to assume you meant buffet. (Darn Spellcheck!) Here are 3 pics showing the wall from left, right and straight on.

This first shows the buffet from the kitchen side.

Next is a shot straight on although I couldn't get the left corner.

Lastly is a shot from the right dining room slider. Hope this helps.

• cpartist

Thank you. I'm sure yours will be beautiful. My advice is don't be afraid of color, especially considering the style house you're building.

Also don't be afraid to mix whites. Notice that my cabinet white is different than my trim white. My cabinet white has a slight green cast to it while my trim white leans slightly warmer.

Ah, finally, what I was waiting for : ) First, lovely to see you back CP, at the very least for your full reveal. As I’m sure many here who know you have anticipated and very much expected, your kitchen is both exceptionally tasteful and highly functional.

Thank you.

How do you like your Zephyr Monsoon range hood?

So far I'm very happy with it. It's easy to use and I haven't really needed it higher than the first mode. Plus it's easy to clean.

Does it provide good light at the cooktop?

Yes, it has two light levels. High and low and it adds enough light to see what I'm cooking.

We’ve ordered the same, but it’s so hard to know until installation.

I took the advice of the salesman.

Thank you. I hope if anything it inspires others to realize they don't have to stick just to neutrals. (white, gray, tan, etc). That you can add your favorite color(s) and still have it not overpower the space.

• gracefullyaged

Yes! Yes, I did! LOL

Thank you so much. These are perfect! As is the rest of your beautiful home!!

cpartist thanked gracefullyaged
  • skmom
    It’s beautiful, and truly looks like a joy to work in! Very, very well done! I love the greens... my current house doesn’t have a lot of green (unless you count the blue I chose which has a lot of green in it) but my last home had a lot of green. Greens and blues are my favorites, but green reminds me of my grandma’s house. She had great taste and I always loved her house, she’s one of the reasons I love green so much, it’s a comforting color to me. Did I mention I love the greens in your home!?!? Lovely!
    cpartist thanked skmom
  • Buehl - We Want SW Back Unconditionally

I love it! It's so well-thought out and looks very functional -- as well looks wonderful overall!

All your choices go together so well (pictures here and on your whole-house thread). I hope you'll still be around when I'm ready to start working on our retirement home (which I hope is soon...I need to get an architect.)

I can't believe you found a towel pig!

cpartist thanked Buehl - We Want SW Back Unconditionally
  • Karen Rose
    Very pretty, I think you’ve thought of everything!
    cpartist thanked Karen Rose
  • maire_cate

When will it be featured in Architectural Digest?

Seriously I am in awe. I honestly can't think of anything that I don't love and I've never been a fan of oak but you've transformed it.

But most importantly I have to thank you for your willingness to share this massive undertaking with us - the good, the bad and the downright ugly. You have been incredibly generous with your time and responses. I kept checking back to your "Final Plans" thread to see if you had been able to resolve all the issues that plagued the build. And I'm almost giddy seeing that your vision is now realized.

cpartist thanked maire_cate
  • Jo
    Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    cpartist thanked Jo
  • cpartist

I want to say a special thank you to you because I learned so much from your advice and I really thought through things like my sink placements, and aisle widths based on comments you've made to me and to others.

If I'm not here, just message me. Anything I can do to help you, I'm happy to do.

I can't believe you found a towel pig!

But of course!

Thank you everyone. I so appreciate your comments. While we still have issues with the house, we do love it.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Wow, this is a fantastic renovation! Period appropriate, warm, colorful, just perfect. LOVE the green, especially the backsplash tiles. I had no idea that Florida had authentic craftsman homes.

It should be featured in the "Old House Journal"!

cpartist thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Holly Stockley

Diana, CP's house is a new build. But the fact that you thought it was a reno of a genuine historic Craftsman home might be the best complement anybody has paid her. She worked hard at authenticity! :-)

cpartist thanked Holly Stockley
  • cpartist

Thank you so much Diana. As Holly mentioned, this is a completely new build so your comment is a huge compliment. What I had told my builder originally is that I wanted to build a house that looked at first glance like it was an original craftsman style house that had been thoughtfully updated.

Florida does have some authentic craftsman houses, especially in the Orlando and St Pete area and a few in my neighborhood too. Most authentic homes though are more Spanish Mission or Bungalow than true craftsman.

Again if you're interested, the rest of the house can be seen HERE.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Wow, I had no idea that it was a new build! You should be so proud of the work you've done!!! I'm clicking on the link now!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Holy moly! You did an OUTSTANDING job on the entire home! Every detail is perfection, I love your colors, and it looks so warm and inviting. I hope you have many years of wonderful memories in this home!

• cpartist

Thank you so much! BTW: I'm a fellow Lawn Guylindah (Long Islander), at least in the summertime. My son lives in Long Beach and my first house was in Long Beach. Spent many a night at the restaurants in Rockville Centre. LOL

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Well, small world!

Debbi Washburn

cpartist quote :

"My house has a craftsman/bungalow feel, so every element had to work within that idea. That's why it feels timeless. If your house is contemporary, don't put in a traditional kitchen, or if your house is a georgian colonial, don't put in a sleek contemporary kitchen as examples. Make the kitchen, and actually all elements in the house work with the style of house and it will feel timeless."

YES YES YES! I don't understand why so many don't get this... thank you for saying it and executing it...

cpartist thanked Debbi Washburn
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

And don't buy a Colonial Revival and try to make it modern, or a ranch and try to make it into a Cape Cod!

• cpartist

thank you for saying it and executing it...

Thank you.

• sprtphntc7a

i can't believe i missed this thread! all i can say is 'mind blown'!!! YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB!!! i would not change a thing!! just so perfect in every way!! have a blast making lots of new memories!

enjoy that pool, your studio-looks perfect to work in and the craftsman style. i know that sounds weird but i everytime i see one, its just so relaxing to me. i told DH if we ever move, craftsman is the only style i will look at!!!!

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY, all the best!!

cpartist thanked sprtphntc7a
  • weedyacres

One of my favorite touches is the "see-through" backsplash behind the prep sink. Awesome way to bring in more light. I think it would be cool if you hooked up a light on the outside that backlit it at night.

cpartist thanked weedyacres
    D Old Granite LLC

gorgeous Fascination quartzite

cpartist thanked D Old Granite LLC
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

CP--we moved into RVC in 1983--when were you here? When we moved in there was not a decent restaurant in the whole village. Then they renovated the Fantasy Theater and Dodici moved in next door, and that started the entire domino effect of one great restaurant after another.

• cpartist

Thank you sprtphntc7a. There really is something so homey about a craftsman/bungalow style home.

LOL. That's a fun idea. However, I find that I love how the stained glass throughout the house changes throughout the day depending on the light or lack of light coming through.

I will say I love the window. Eventually outside that window will be a Florida rose garden. I can't wait.

gorgeous Fascination quartzite

Thank you. From what I understand is they've since closed the mine.

I moved into Long Beach in 1987. I don't remember Dodici. Of course I had young kids at the time so we wound up almost weekly at the ice cream place.

There were a few places we ate at in RC but honestly I don't remember them anymore. I do remember that there really was a dearth of good restaurants on the south shore at the time.

We moved to Glen Head in 1993 when it was time to put my son in kindergarten. I didn't like the Long Beach schools.

• maddie260

Absolutely beautiful, spectacular, simply no words! Craftsman houses are my favorite, and to see this one come to life is just special. Thanks for sharing!

cpartist thanked maddie260
  • Twosit4me

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing

cpartist thanked Twosit4me
  • cpartist

Thank you.

Maddie craftsman is my absolute favorite too.

• Jo
    Would you mind sharing how you organize large serving spoons, ladles, tongs, etc. Perhaps you are using one of the drawers you showed above and I could not see it well? Thanks.
    cpartist thanked Jo
  • cpartist

Here you go. One side of my cooktop has my baking stuff and the other is all my ladles, spoons, etc.

My baking drawer and things I don't use frequently:

My cooking drawer.

Debbi Washburn

{{sigh}} I need those drawers!

cpartist thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 2ManyDiversions

I love your wide drawers... I've put you in the Cheryl Hewitt category for kitchen organization : ) Of course, I should have known you'd be utterly organized!

I'm incredibly envious of your baking pan and flat storage area above your wall oven - I'm guessing that was made by your cabinet maker? Nice!

cpartist thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Jo
    Beautifully organized. Thank you so much for sharing.
    cpartist thanked Jo
  • cpartist

love your wide drawers... I've put you in the Cheryl Hewitt category for kitchen organization : ) Of course, I should have known you'd be utterly organized!

LOL. I can't stand clutter. That's why I have the doggie garage and DH's coffee cabinet.

It's actually an easy thing to add above a cabinet.

Happy to do so Jo.

• Karen Rose
    Late to the party but I love everything. Especially those countertops. Great job!
    cpartist thanked Karen Rose
  • Stephanie

Can I ask what height your ceilings are? And I really love your countertops. Lovely all around!

cpartist thanked Stephanie
  • cpartist

Thank you Karen Rose.

Stephanie, they're 10'.

• pennydesign

Oh I think your kitchen is lovely. And yes, I have drawer envy...enough to make me a least go off to organize some...so thank you for that :)

(sorry to see you won't post because of Sophie. I don't think anyone should have that much power over another)

cpartist thanked pennydesign
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

OT: CPArtist, remember the SF house by Green & Greene without a lot of wood I told you about once? Well it's for sale. I didn't see any still photographs. There is a video the interior of the main house. I am sad to see the family sell. The video actually does not do the house justice.

https://www.greengablesestate.org/the-property

PS I was told that this was the only house Greene & Greene made without the heavier wood, at the request of the mother of the family.

cpartist thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • cpartist

You're welcome. LOL

Sophie doesn't have power over me. It's houzz deciding that Sophie wasn't allowed to post here that got me to leave.

Yes I do remember you talking about it. Wow. I hadn't seen that house. The trim work is similar to mine. I would love to be able to see more photos of it. Thank you.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

Love the kitchen & the rest of your house!! So well done CP. Also, I just had to comment on the bottle of Frangelico in the DH's coffee cabinet! Go DH! :)

cpartist thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • cpartist

Thank you Lori. And yes, sometimes coffee can use a little something extra. ;)

• leslie1228

I love your home! As others said, it is perfect!

cpartist thanked leslie1228
  • cpartist

Thank you Leslie and as I noted in your thread, it's definitely not perfect but it works for us. :)