Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grateful2bme

Very Narrow Kitchen in Colonial Cabin...suggestions?

Hi All! I have attached two pictures which show both ends of the kitchen I am moving into! I am very excited to be moving into this beautiful 1890s "saltbox/colonial"-ish mountain cabin which is a whole new adventure for me and my husband. Every room is very large with natural wood log walls. Every room except for this kitchen that is! The walls are plaster I think and in between the kitchen and the dining room is one of the two bathrooms so budget-wise there is no way we can knock down any walls or do anything that costly. I was wondering if any of you have some less costly ideas about ways we could visually add space to this very narrow kitchen space? Someday we might do something more - but for now, all of our money has gone into just getting the house!! Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts! (P.S. the long white enclosure with the wooden edge around the top surrounds the stairs down to the basement; the picture in the middle shows the "cabinet side of the kitchen, which would be on your left when you walk in that double glass backdoor; and the other two pictures are of the side of the kitchen facing the cabinets.). HITM

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Could you post an actual to scale drawing of the space ideally the whole main floor.

• HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh dear! I can try. But that will take me a while!!

• HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Patricia Colwell Consulting: as much as I appreciate (and I truly do) your willingness to give me some advice....I don't know of any way to give you an actual scale drawing of the space or the whole main floor. I suppose I could get one from the Tax Assessors office if one still exists but this house is so old, I"m not sure if one does!! I'll ask the seller if she happens to have a copy of one. Honestly I'd like to have one myself.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just do a sketch on a piece of graph paper of the kitchen, noting dimensions and windows and where stuff is--including the basement access...that will suffice. If nothing can move, there's no reason to include other rooms right now...

Congratulations! It's very exciting..

• townlakecakes
    5 years ago

Just a rough sketch with accurate measurements of the kitchen and reasonably accurate measurements of the rooms surrounding the kitchen will be helpful. Full main floor can be very rough.

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    Can you take additional pics?
    HomeInTheMountains thanked Southern Bell
  • HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok!! I think I can handle that! It would be easier if I was there (we don't close until February 22; but I will give it my best try!!

• HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm a good Counselor; drawing is not my calling!!

• HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ashley Dodd: I will be able to eventually, but for now this is all I have. I am hoping to go up there this week and take some measurements and pictures so I can make some more plans. Thank you for looking!

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago

I don't know what's your budget, but I think these idea would work and flow with your home style. I would remove that little eat in table and place 2 of the white hutches or the other items. You can use these to store spices, or make your coffee/tea station here and additional counter space for prepping.

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    those were running between 300 and 1200 a piece.

I only choose those type of options because I wasnt sure if you wanted to add additional cabinets along that wall.
  • HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ashley Dodd We definitely have the same taste!! I have looked at those items SO many times!! Love Love Love them!! This house will be a work of passion for the rest of my life I am sure. My children are grown and I guess my home is what I have to "take care of" now!! Thank you so much for sharing. The ceiling is very high in the kitchen so that is a good thing and it is white. I do love the white cabinet you shared. I'm not loving the counter tops in this kitchen but it's not in my budget right now to change that. I think white cabinets might help but I have a real issue with painting over these real wood cabinets!! I guess I might have to adjust to living there for a while and then I can "let go" a little!!

Thank you again for your input!

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    Have you thought about sanding down the cabinets and painting them yourself? I think two the white hutches would be perfect.
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    you can also sand the cabinets down and re stain them to a color you love instead of painting them.
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    for your kitchen type I love the hutch idea
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago

some extra ideas

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago

also for a temporary solution, you can paint your countertops I believe. or go with another type of laminate, which is way. cheaper than granite. I would go to home depot or lowes and get a estimate for the laminate. they have come a long way in designs. they also will install and remove your existing countertops. estimates are free with them.

• User
    5 years ago

Yes...I think cabinets were already mentioned somewhere upthread... ;)

Since your house is very old, I'm thinking you live where antiques are more readily available. I think an antique hoosier cabinet would be perfect.

Poke around some flea markets next time you go...

• Isaac
    5 years ago

Congratulations on the house!

It is always hard to tell from photos but the kitchen looks dark. Adding lights and/or replacing the counter and backsplash with something lighter in color might help. I know you said your budget is limited, but might a skylight or light tube be an option, later if not now?

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago

Staining cabinets are way much easier then painting them. Your cabinets look like they're in excellent shape. The also have a shaker style to them. I agree to not paint them. I would stain them one of these colors. With a little degreaser wipe down, sand grit paper, a sander,and cloth you can refinish the cabinets for way cheaper than you would pay someone to do them. Maybe make it a spring or summer week long project. Here are some cool stain ideas. I love the burnt oak stain with all the wood veining showing.

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    I would definitely go to lowes or home depot. They have excellent laminate choices for under 300 bucks. some are like 150 for a 8ft slab.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/laminate%20countertop?searchtype=suggest&NCNI-5
  • Chantel
    5 years ago
    It looks like the microwave is hung very low you might want to raise that further from the stove top. I second the idea of new, lighter, countertops.
  • HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You all are amazing! I just got home from a long day at work and how nice to find such thoughtful and helpful comments waiting!! Thank you all again!
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    The beauty of Houzz
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    I found another inexpensive idea for your counter tops

by painting them.
  • HomeInTheMountains
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all so much! I love ALL of the ideas you have shared and now I have so much to think about. Closing date 2/22!!!

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I put EZ faux granite in a rental; it looked to the day I removed it several years later. It's a thick plastic foil that sticks on. https://www.ezfauxdecor.com/

I actually bought it on ebay for less.