Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onnie629

RuB a Dub Tub..I gotta get a FREE STANDING TUB

Ondre'a
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

It's TUB Picking Time. I am seeking advise on what to get & not to get. $1200 budget acrylic. I have very few stores to choice from in the nearest city so it will be online. I will gladly add extra insulation. Hope to stay away from a tub that slides around. I am short (5'2"ish). If you have one, would you share you wisdom? Tidbits are great.
Thanks y'all

Comments (42)

• live_wire_oak
    5 years ago

There are freestanding claw foot tubs, freestanding pedestal tubs, alcove tub showers with aprons and without. There are drop in tubs and undermount tubs. There are ovals and rectangles and the kidney shaped corner ones. There are air tubs and jetted tubs, and tubs with none of that. And on and on.

You are going to need to drastically narrow down the categories.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I'm 5'2"ish also. The new house we bought has a huge drop in jetted tub that we will NEVER use because it is TOO big. It is a humongous waste of space. Ours is a storage space. A drop in tub measuring 70"x36" is hard too get out of. I slide in it because my feet have nothing the prop against. The jets are in locations that do absolutely nothing. But it's too small for 2. we are someday going to remove it to add a bigger shower, a bigger closet or move the washer/dryer into that location. Still thinking what would be the best solution for us. We always take showers and have a hot tub we use every night outside To enjoy the night sky. I dont understand the separate tub thing. I would get a hot tub instead outside. It stays hot. We enjoyed a soak last night watching the blood wolf moon. If you have to have a tub, I hear old claw foot ones are nice.

I would look for something more on that line.

• Lynjen25
    5 years ago

My advice is to get a standard length tub if you are 5’2”. I’m about your height and my husband really wanted a 72” tub instead of the standard 60”. I have a hard time relaxing in it because it’s too long. I’ve tried the Kohler footstop and a couple other things to keep me from sliding down but nothing I’ve tried has worked yet. Ours is a drop in soaking tub, my only regret is that it’s too long. I also recommend a handheld sprayer to help with cleaning the tub, it has come in very handy.

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love a free standing Single slipper or pedalstool tub. I am out in the country so we do hard work and I need to soak. I am not a fan of jacuzzi jets. But if I were there would be one out back. You are correct about most tubs being too big. Every single one I have tried out (in the showrooms) has been huge. The sales people I have delt with are more interested in making the sale. Not one truly knows the product. Online reveiws are somewhat helpful, but alot of the are people who have not even installed the tub.

• Lynjen25
    5 years ago

It looks like there are plenty of options for shorter (60” and less) freestanding tubs like pedestals and slippers. If you go with freestanding you’ll want to have enough space so you can clean around it without a struggle.

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn't even thing of that issue.. This is the stuff I need to know.. I did order a shower handle.

• acm
    5 years ago

$1200 will be your biggest limitation, as freestanding tubs are not generally cheap. You could easily spend twice that without much effort.

I'd try to find some showroom with tubs to sit in, at least to get a feel for how widths and depths really feel on you. Then at least you'll know what dimensions to look for.

• live_wire_oak
    5 years ago

The tub fillers and decorative plumbing required, plus the plumbing relocation required, will make that $1200 tub into a 7K tub by the time all is said and done. And that is if you can find a $1200 tub. The only ones I know of are imports that I wouldn't use. Most quality ones start at double that figure and only go up from there.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/browse/bathroom-bathing/_/N-255vZ2e91Z1z13z9nZ4qZ4r?Nr=AND%28product.language%3AEnglish%2CP_market%3AKPNASite%29 

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I already have my tub filler
  • Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is a new build. All I need is tub
  • live_wire_oak
    5 years ago

What brand is it? Did you check it out on the Starcraft Builder's faucet review site to be sure that it is lead free and not one of the scam brand ones? http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets2.htm

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It is Delta and I purchased it from a plumbing store...Not a big box store or online. I did ask about the lead
  • m_gabriel
    5 years ago

I have this tub from Costco (also available elsewhere but I think it was on sale at Costco): https://www.costco.com/Ove-Decors-Noah-63%22-Acrylic-Bathtub.product.100036544.html

I'm 5'1" and it's a good size/shape for sinking down, maybe a tad too long for me (but a great fit for my space). There's a lot to look at with different specs - some tubs are very narrow at the bottom plus larger tubs use a lot of water to fill if they are too wide. I ended up having to make a little spreadsheet to keep straight the specs I wanted. One feature of this tub that was important to me was that you can deck mount a regular faucet. I've enjoyed it for a year and a half now with no problems.

The Wyndham Melissa slipper tub was my 2nd choice because I liked the angle and the tapered top (but no deck mount and it was a little too narrow, I thought): https://www.wayfair.com/home/hd0/-l590-k~w001003349.html?refid=GX99081569362-W001003349&device=c&ptid=547985887650&network=g&targetid=pla-547985887650&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=45734833&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq66umZqA4AIVDK_ICh2l9QJGEAQYAiABEgKFnfD_BwE

• Heather N
    5 years ago

Don’t get a tub that is too long unless you’re really into lying completely flat and stretched out on your back. I like to read in the tub, so it’s pretty annoying that my tub is too long. Don’t get a tub that has really high walls if you like to prop up your book/kindle/ipad while you’re in the tub. Make sure you have room next to the tub somewhere or a tub caddy for your shampoo, soap, etc.

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Great points. I will look into a double slipper so I dont slide down flat and I have the ability to rest my arms.
  • J Williams
    5 years ago

I used to love floating in our ginormous clawfoot (it was extra long) and looking up through our skylight, it was also like a kiddie pool for my son, whose 1st word was “bath”, different strokes.

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am hoping to find one that doesn't look cheesy and that I can touch both ends. Center Drains are hard to find in a slipper tub.
  • Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Does anyone know which acrylic is better? Some descriptions say acrylic sheet with fiberglass. Isn't one a thinner material. I read one that sait 2 shoeets of acrylic with an envelope of air for insulation. Um, that sounds hollow to me.
  • rsanfo0
    5 years ago
    We just put in this tub: 59" x 29.5" Freestanding Soaking Bathtub
    https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/woodbridge-59-x-295-freestanding-soaking-bathtub-wdbr1068.html

Honestly, we don’t take a lot of baths, so we weren’t willing to spend a ton of money. It was more for aesthetics. I’m 5’1 and it’s a perfect size for me. My 5’9 hubby is fine in it as well. One thing I had to take in to consideration was the ability to get it through our doorway. Some of the larger tubs wouldn’t fit! We really do love it though.
  • Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That looks nice. does it hold the heat well? I'm 30 minute soaked with a book. Nice lines on that tub.
  • Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hmmm the door way. I better measure the bedroom door. Excellent piece of advice
  • rsanfo0
    5 years ago
    We haven’t had any issues. We are really enjoying it!
  • Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Can you easily get in and out. I have a 28 inch inseam.
  • rsanfo0
    5 years ago
    The walls on this tub are fairly short, so it’s probably one of the easier freestanding tubs to get in/out of.
  • Ondre'a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yeah found my tub..66 inch with a 45 inch exterior..thanks for the help
  • savvyla
    4 years ago

Ondre'a - what tub did you end up with?

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will post it if I can find a photo or I will take one when I get home... I love it. it is deep and I can still step out of it.

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here it us..the paint is still wet

• savvyla
    4 years ago

Beautiful! What is the brand/model?

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will look it up. I got it on wayfair. it is the best deep tub for short women. I got an extra $50 off by talking to a person Instead of doing it online

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is called the Divinity. I saved an extra $75 by calling and speaking to a rep. I have the overflow drain facing the wall. Everyone that comes by climbs inside.

• savvyla
    4 years ago

Thank you!

• P McG
    4 years ago

@Ondre'a have you found your new tub too be to long since you're on the shorter side? We're getting ready to remodel our master bath and I don't want another huge tube that I slide under the water in. I'm 5'3" and I would've thought your tub would be very long. Thanks for any feedback.

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love this tub. I have a 27 inch inseam. I had the flu 2 weeks ago. The tub was my only relief from the achey muscles. I had zero issues getting in and out of the bath. I filled it all the way up each time.

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I put in a new light over the bath

• Barrie T
    3 years ago

I LOVE this tub! I think it just took over my #1 spot over the OVE Natalie from Costco. Question: How are the controls attached? I can't tell from your photo. Thanks for this post - gave me GREAT info!

https://www.costco.com/ove-natalie-freestanding-tub-with-athena-faucet.product.100370200.html

• Ondre'a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have a pony wall between the tub and the window. I do wish I had the faucet coming out of the wall.

• Barrie T
    3 years ago

Thanks @Ondre'a! Can you tell me why? Where did you get the faucet? I like this shaped tub SO MUCH and the price is good. Thinking as I get older it'll be easier to get in/out of. Any chance you'd post a pic of you sitting in it like you're reading? FULLY CLOTHED DUH! We are the same height and it'd be OH SO HELPFUL since I can't test it out.

• Rai F
    3 years ago

Yea. I agree. Can you tel is why you wished it came out the wall?

• telesaps
    2 years ago

How do you get behind it to clean?

• nibha21
    10 days ago

How big is your alcove? im trying to figure out the best size tub for our space.