Ranch Floor Plan Input

C W
5 years ago

Any input for this floor plan?

Comments (9)

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

my uneducated opinion is that I really like it. living spaces are well lit, bedrooms are well lit, minimum amount of wasted space, range hood is on outside wall, no private areas visible from public areas, good separation between master and other bedrooms.

my only nitpick is the laundry area is kinda far away from the bedrooms but not a big deal imo

oh, and the fridge, range, sink triangle is kinda wide

C W thanked User
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

What do the elevations look like? The overall bulk of the house is rather "fat", leading me to suspect that there will be a very large, overscaled roof mass.

C W thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • C W
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the elevations. I appreciate everyone's input so far. Thank you all.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

To be honest, my initial reaction to the elevations was, "Yikes!".

• shead
    5 years ago

I think it’s unfortunate that your kitchen is in a great location on two exterior walls but yet you don’t seem to have any windows in the left wall.

How big is your lot? Is there anyway to avoid the “snout garage” by having a side entry garage instead?

Will the tub in the master bath ever be used? Often, those are just a waste of space.

• just_janni
    5 years ago

Any time i see "flex room", I read that as "well, we had this left over and now clue what to do with it, I hope the homeowner has better luck at figuring out what we meant than we did"

Overall, that big roof is being driven by it being over 50' deep which, IMO, is too deep to get any decent light to penetrate.

And the elevations don't look cohesive at all. That third garage door doesn't even match! And not a fan of the window grouping on the back.

HOWEVER I do think they got some things right - not a lot of space devoted to hallways, good use of closet locations to provide privacy and sound buffering, bedrooms on corners for cross ventilation opportunities, and clear circulation.

• bpath
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

How many people, ages of children? What part of the country?

beyond that:

The entry seems squished on the outside, and narrow on the inside. How will you use the flex room (I don't believe in flex rooms: name it, assign it a purpose)? It's a long walk from the front door to the rest of the house, and no guest closet?

The bedroom side is nice, quite reasonable, but . . . And I'm risking sounding like I'm talking about Legos here so bear with me . . . If you can even out the front of the house, putting the two bedrooms on the same plane, you can simplify the exterior (make it more elegant) and move the bathroom to the outside wall so it gets a window.

If you move the master closet door closer to the bedroom door, it will be more convenient and give you a usable corner and wall in the bedroom. And, closet rods that turn corners are a pain in the butt in the corner, the storage is unusable, inaccessible, and a mess. Have a pro design your closet for your needs.

You might take the kitchen over to Kitchens. There is a wide split on corner pantry pros and cons!

This is personal, but I prefer a house with circulation, more than one way to get somewhere. This plan is a little too simple in that regard, everything is in one room, but again this is personal preference (but a preference that I think has some validity!)

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago