0

Doing a remodel of my 1962 kitchen.

liisahost
last modified: January 21, 2019

Galley kitchen getting top to bottom update. Ceiling is 8 feet high. Room is 18 feet long, and space across is 8' 9", wall to wall. Subtracting on each side for upper and lower cabinets of standard depths, I'm trying to properly light the room. I plan to install LED lighting under cabinets, and will have dimmers on both ceiling and under cabinet lights. Cabinets will be white, flooring in a warm French oak, countertops in a satin finish granite that will have shading of browns, greys but will read primarily light. How do I avoid looking like a lighting showroom with cans everywhere, and also not end up creating shadows all over the place? Thanks!!

• everdebz

I hope an expert shows up, but may I ask whether you expect whether you've been told that undercabinet lighting will warm up that middle zone of the room ? Is there any window ? A solatube though for day's sunlight, can add I suppose...

• everdebz

If 18' will include any eating, what about a chandelier of some kind?

Kenwood Kitchen · More Info
  • liisahost

Eating area is actually adjoining the galley kitchen area. Nice thought though. Thanks.

• live_wire_oak

18' is way too long for a galley. It's inefficient for traffic and work zones. You may want to convert one end into a pantry or butler's pantry.

Post your actual design plan.

• liisahost

My triangle is nice and tight, everything within 3 feet of each other. Counter and cabinets run the length of just one side, one end of which is full pantry, and then fridge. The other end upper cabinets stop shy a good two feet from end of counter run, due to electrical panel. Opposite that endis a large window, under which I have counter height table and stools.

• pippabean

Fixed the plan for you. Might get you more help from people.

• liisahost

Very nice of you!

• Jennifer Hogan

You don't have to have canned lighting. I had saved this photo from HGTV

liisahost thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • liisahost

Hmmm. Interesting. Will give that some thought. My ceiling is just 8 feet though, so might feel a bit distracting in the space. I appreciate the idea!

• everdebz

Yes to more lighting, if you can dim it anyway! I hate a kitchen without enough light, yeh?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

To avoid shadows in your work space, no matter what kind of fixture you choose, you should try to have the light centered over the edge of your counter. That is the beauty of cans, it is easy to do this fairly unobtrusively -- fixtures like the lovely idea above center the light away from the work surfaces allowing shadows and perhaps not producing enough illumination where you need it most..

How far apart to space them will depend on the fixtures, but you will want also to plan to avoid having an open cabinet door block the light from illuminating the inside of that cabinet when you are trying to find something.

I have seen some people use a combination of flush or semi flush fixture in the center of the room with gooseneck or adjustable wall lamps along the sides (similar to the picture above, but more wall fixtures) -- will you have a soffit, crown molding or bit of wall where you could place them?

I love the 3000k LEDs in my kitchen, nice clean but soft light (not yellow or too blue) It is good for my older eyes!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Oh, if you like the look, there are some pretty track lights out there also, that could be placed on either side and positioned to best effect.

If you have a lighting store nearby, they usually have a lighting designer to help you create a lighting plan.