Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tasnim_hashem9

Area rug too small or not?

Tasnim Hashem
5 years ago
I bought this 8 x 10 area rug for my living room. My new l- shaped sectional is 119 on one side and 92 on the other. Do you think this rug is too small? Should I get a 9 x 12 instead? I will place an accent chair and a coffee table. I’m posting pics of all of the furniture I bought.

PS. Don’t mind the large rug pad. I need to trim it if I decide to keep the 8 x 10 rug. If I do need to get a 9 x 12 rug, can I place this 8 x 10 rug pad underneath that or do I still need to exchange this pad for one that’s 9 x 12?

Please help! My guests are coming to stay over in 10 days and I need a rug fast for my sofa that’s going to be delivered on Saturday.

Comments (15)

• Tasnim Hashem
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Anyone? Please help!
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    I have a 9x12 rug. I think a 9 x 12 would work. Let me do some measurements on my 9x12 to see if you can get away with a 8x10
  • Tasnim Hashem
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you!
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So I would recommend a 9 x12 with a 9x12 pad to make it even. I have a 9 x 12 rug and the first pic shows 92 inches while second picture shows 112 inches. You can get away with a 8 x12 but it would be kinda tight and you won't be able to put your furniture completely on the rug. Ultimately, it would be up to what you can live with. Could you live with the furniture being a lit snug onto the rug? If yes, stick with the 8x10. Just place the front part of your furniture onto the rug.

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    ahhhhhh I Just notice we have similar table lol .
  • Tasnim Hashem
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much! As soon as I laid out the rug, I knew a 9 x 12 would have been better. This 8 x 10 rug claims to be 8 x 10 but I measured it and found it to be 3 inches shorter on one side which is why the rug pad seems larger since it’s true to size and is 8 x 10. Hope the 9 x 12 is true to size though.

We do have the same table! How long have you had it for? How’s it holding up?
  • Tasnim Hashem
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you, Cliff! I agree too!
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    I had it for 3 years and Its awsome but I will be changing it out.
  • Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    9x12 is large lol
  • Tasnim Hashem
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I just assembled the chair and placed it on the rug that I have now. I can totally see that I need a bigger rug. What do you think?
  • Angela Zuill
    5 years ago

I think bigger would look better-

• Southern Bell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Bigger 9 x 12

• Molly
    5 years ago
    Do you have 2 sheets you can lay on the floor to mimic your sectional size? I just wonder if there is enough extra room on the 12’ side to fit in the room comfortably.
  • Tasnim Hashem
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Molly, from one lamp to the other, the whole width of the wall is 179 inches. My sectional is 119 inches. So, do you think a 9 x 12 would look good? I

I calculated that there will still be 35 inches left of the floor which means almost 18 on both sides.

Also, I was wondering that 8 x 10 would fit the sectional just exactly leaving no room for an end table or even a space between the chair and sectional for comfortable seating. Since 8 x 10 means that the longer side is 120 inches and my sectional is 119 inches, there will not be any rug space beside the sectional. I hope what I’m saying makes sense.

My husband feels like an 8 x 10 would work and he hates returning stuff constantly lol..but I’m not sure. However, I’ll wait till my sectional arrives on Saturday to fully check the arrangement before I decide to return.