Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_78292797758

Help with colors for front door on historic home

HU-78292797758
5 years ago

Help please! Trying to decide on a color for the front door of our 1814 Federal style home here in Georgia. Would also love suggestions on colors for front porch furniture and accessories. We have already trimmed the huge hedges and are planning to do some plantings for color also. Thanks!

Comments (25)

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is a photo of the house; I don't think my first post saved it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

when you attach, wait for it to fully load before hitting submit. or, try posting it here in comments

HU-78292797758 thanked Beth H. :
  • HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    5 years ago

Well, if that is a red front door, that would be my suggestion!

HU-78292797758 thanked karen paul interiors
  • HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It is a dull brownish-red and is need of re-painting as the color has faded from the evening sun and the weather. This photo makes it look more red than it actually is.

There are two other homes on the street with really red doors, so not sure I want to do the same thing. I saw a photo online of a home with a similar front door and side lights that were all painted a bronze color and thought it was very handsome. What do you think of that color?

• Erica Amaro
    5 years ago
    Is the house black and white? It comes across my screen as possibly yellow and green shutters? If black and white maybe a Navy would look nice, or if yellow and green maybe a light grey?
    HU-78292797758 thanked Erica Amaro
  • HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love your suggestions! We have already had the shrubs trimmed back to about the level of the porch floor and it made such a big difference.

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The color of the house is Navajo White, which is a creamy, yellowy, white. The trim is white. The handrails and porch rails are dark hunter green, almost black, and the shutters are black. The floor on the porch is terra cotta tile.

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth H., I am loving these colors. And you got the bronze/black look down too. Is that a coral on the last one? I love it and the blue and bronze too.

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We only moved in a few months ago so still a lot to do. In the warm fall and early winter I had two big urns with flowers on either side of the door and will do that again this year with seasonal flowers or some ferns. Also need a beautiful wreath.....

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    A bit of research indicates authentic to the period for shutters and doors is dark green or black.
    HU-78292797758 thanked Anne Duke
  • HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Probably so. And those are good colors.

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The bronze may be the way I go with it. I really like the mock-up photo above.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

I love the black from Beth...very classic. Some color added in plantings would be great.

HU-78292797758 thanked chloebud
  • HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, seeing my actual house painted that way makes it so much easier.

• Korie Mo
    5 years ago

I'd do Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore. It's a nice Blue/black/gray navy color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

i'm a sucker for a deep blue. I adore cobalt.

Here's one with a glossy navy

or you could do more of a pale aqua

the last pic is more of a vibrant red. I don't have the exact name, but it leans over toward the orange side of red rather than the blue/violet side.

here is what I meant about some planters on either side of your door. This would add so much, especially if you went w/black or a cobalt. the pinks and vibrant greens really give a punch

you could also do a midnight blue and get the same look

have you ever thought about painting the siding?

and the flowers beds in the front draw your eye to the door. This one too.

HU-78292797758 thanked Beth H. :
  • HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, I agree about the planters. I have some large ones that I used last year with seasonal flowers and will probably use them again this year; maybe try some ferns. It's way too cold here right now to put anything out.

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We just bought the house early last fall and yes, we will probably paint it before too long. It hasn't been painted in quite some time and will be due before too long. Most likely white.

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I really like this look. Very clean and elegant; and will be lovely with some plants. Thanks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

what do you think about a forest/olive green? You'd have to do a gold door handle and lighting with it, and the shutters. I think it looks nice w/the cream siding

and another blue door

• HU-78292797758
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Those are both lovely too!

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I still like the current color best.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I really like a bold color on front doors. Why not go for it? Black? Red? Anyone can do that. Then you won't want a wreath covering your gorgeous door

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/rooms-and-spaces/doors-and-windows/28-inviting-colors-to-paint-a-front-door-pictures