Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillehenn

should marble be used as a kitchen countertop

Jill Hennessy
5 years ago

How difficult is marble to maintain in a kitchen that will be used daily for cooking?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Marble has been in use for countertops in Europe forever but it does get a patina so if that is not your plan then get quartz . I happen to love the look of marble that has been lived with .

• shivece
    5 years ago
    We had an island of dark green marble from Canada for almost 20 years. Never did anything special except wipe up spills and never had any issues. However, composition, temperature, pressure and time of metamorphosis are all variables that impact its ability to withstand wear. Think about all the marble in Europe that has been outside for centuries and still looks good......
  • Hemlock
    5 years ago

With so many other choices out there, I'd steer clear of marble.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

"Will be used daily for cooking" . That applies to at least 80 % of all kitchens. By how many, are you neat or a slob? lol. Are you picky, and wipe and clean as you cook and prep? What about kids? They make cereal and raspberries and spill and LEAVE it?

All above and exactly as Diana stated. Much depends. On you , your tolerance for beautiful imperfection, etc. : )

• Shannon_WI
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have marble in my master bathroom. From far away it looks beautiful. Close up you can see the etching from beauty product spills, toothpaste, even from a bit of splashed soap lather. We are neat and careful, but marble is that way. A kitchen will have even more etching and stains because in a kitchen people spill juices, wine, coffee, soda, salad dressings, and leave glasses on the counter. What was on your kitchen counter this past Thanksgiving?

For people saying that in Europe they use marble everywhere for centuries, that is right. But first, in Europe people generally don't do an entire kitchen of marble counters, just a section. Second, Europeans have a different viewpoint than Americans about patina. Stains and etching on a block of marble just show the kitchen has been used well.

This choice is all about individual personality and viewpoint (setting aside budget). If you want to see your counters looking in 5 years from now the way they looked the day they were installed, then marble is not for you. If you are fine with patina, then there is nothing more beautiful than marble.

• User
    5 years ago

I would never ever do a marble countertop, much less use marble in a shower or bathroom.

I grew up in Europe, so am quite familiar with century old, yellowed, stained, scratched and etched marble table tops in kitchens and bathrooms. Ugh! They just always looked horribly grimy to me and grossed me out.

That said, I don't like granites, quartzites or any other busy stone on horizontal surfaces either. What most people around here swoon over - heavily patterned stones with lots of movement, splotches and streaks - to me, just looks streaky and splotchy.

I do occasionally like marble or soapstone slabs used on vertical surfaces, as backsplashes. But even there I can't stand it if they're "bookended". Looks too much like a giant Rorschach test to me...

For me, I prefer solid colored countertops, vanity and table tops, so what I put on top of them doesn't have to compete with a busy surface underneath.

But then, I'm an outlier around here and anyway, there is no need for you to pay any heed to my preferences, it's your house and your kitchen, do what you want and what still will make you happy 5 years down the road.

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

The look and feel of natural stone is like no other material. including marble, because no 2 slabs are alike, having said that, you will have to be very neat, wipe after you spill anything, do not allow your kids or family members to use the counter unless they follow your rules and under no circumstances use turmeric and lemon on your counter. ( unless you are OK with stains all over the counter) in addition to that, you have to be aware that the stone will yellow and create a patina over time, if that is the look you are after and you understand the nature of the material. go for it, otherwise look for a quartz material that will have a similar ( not identical) look, and if you prefer natural stone chose a granite or a quartzite type such as super white counter top.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I love my marble countertops. I expect patina and don't mind it at all. Sealing the marble well prevents staining (not etching, though.) I love natural stone, nothing compares to its beauty.

• PRO
    Meyer Design
    5 years ago

You should not use marble for you kitchen counter tops. It stains, scratches and etches. Quartz has many great alternatives!!

• Chisos
    5 years ago

I have always loved marble. Bought marble for kitchen, laundry room remodel & plan on installing it in the new bathroom addition. Will never regret, never look back.

But, I had a piece of marble from a countertop that my grandfather (custom home builder) had installed in a house he built when I was a child. I kept it in my house, and sometimes in my garden, over the years and saw the beauty of the stone. Stains would come and go over time. Nothing compares in my heart & mind.

I had granite in the past but was MEH about it. It was pretty but not stunning like my marble. Will it possibly chip - yes. Will it possibly stain - yes. Do I care - NO.

But, you should assess if you want your house to always look showroom new. Me, I love old friends, old dogs and old houses.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

It's quite a personal choice. I love the look, but would never do it. I need everything in my life to be low maintenance. So it's a no for me.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

It always amazes me that people say marble is high maintenance, and that you must "police your guests." The only maintenance I do to my marble is clean it, the same way I cleaned my white laminate for 27 years. No amount of maintenance is going to eliminate etches and scratches. If you can't deal with them, then don't get marble.

I never try to get rid of the etches (because it's impossible), and the scratching doesn't bother me. I have NO stains at all, and I freely use berries, tomatoes, wine, coffee, tea, etc., in my kitchen.

A kitchen is a work room, so use it, don't abuse it, and when the inevitable wear and tear shows, don't get upset over it.