Your shopping cart is empty.
brenda_near_eno

Spring 2019 Raleigh Swap, special side-trade list

brenda_near_eno
January 25, 2019

This is not the main swap post. John, our fearless leader, posts the date of the General Swap, the main event. Some people set up special side trades too. If you are side-trading, feel free to post what you are looking for and what you will have to offer.

Comments (567)

• thinkingofplants

Ralph, I'd love some globe artichoke plants and various elephant ears/alocasia. If your still looking for indoor plants I have a dracena thats a little over 3ft tall, i have a couple hanging glass terrariums that have small air plants inside, I have lucky bamboo (no soil needed just bottle water). As for outdoor plants I have variegated hosta, bearded iris, regular yucca, an unknown perennial that doesnt die back in winter, green leaves and purple blooms, mint, daylilies, sedum autumn joy, a lime green trailing sedum.

• thinkingofplants

Lorabell, do we have anything setup for trades? trying to make sure i dont forget anyone. Also any hardy begonias? I have bring you some bearded iris.

• Hollyclyff

Thinkingofplants I’ve just realized that I never confirmed our trade for the crinums you were interested in. I’m so sorry. I can certainly bring you some. Can I get a hosta and white iris?

• thinkingofplants

Anyone with japanese painted ferns and hardy begonias? I have bearded iris?

• thinkingofplants

yes hollyclyff got it. Do you have any types of elephant ears or angels trumpets?

• thinkingofplants

vlad, any nice plants for a rock garden?

• thinkingofplants

I have a couple hanging glass terrariums with a small colorful air plant inside each in exchange for either some different types of elephant ears/alocasia, banana plants or pitcher plants/carnivorous plants.

• Hollyclyff

Thinkingofplants - no I don't have either of those. Elephant ears have not done very well here in the ground for me

• thinkingofplants

Do Anyone have agave victoriae reginae, agave crazy horse, agave parryi, variegated yucca, cordyline pink passion, or Asarum ling ling for special trades?

• thinkingofplants

ok hollyclyff

• Judy Brown

Ralph - I would like to get the bronze Japanese fern. I'll bring you a couple of the burgundy flower trilluim for it.

• elsie narron

Ralph, Can I have a japanese painted fern.Do you have malvaviscus arboreus?

• Ralph Whisnant

Elsie, I have a Turks Cap I think, but have not yet seen it. Will check and let you know. And I need to divide my ferns to make sure that I have more than I have already promised.

• pambucol

Thinking of plants. I'll see what I can pull ... I have been very very busy ...

I am working on a banana plant for you though!!!!

Vlad

• Crystal Christensen
    Jaimie, you got it. I will bring 1 of each for you. For 2 of your sarr's, see you at the exchange!
  • lorabell_gw

Ralph. I love everything you give me always. Was just out cleaning the Copper Canyon Daisy- gosh, I love the smell.

Here’s my list of Begonias you can have:

B. bowerae

B. Black Satin

B. Helen Teupel

B. Erythrophylla Helix

B. Starry Night

B. Tornado (stunning)

B. Ricinifolia

B. Cooks Swirl

B. Curly Fireflush

B. Kui

B. Cleopatra

Hope I have some in your wish list.

• karen__w z7 NC

Here's a summary of what I think I've arranged so far. Let me know if I've got anything wrong.

Brenda: Salvia koyame, Illicium 'Woodlander Ruby', white iris tectorum,
    Viburnum seedlings FOR pink anemonella thalictroides

Lorabell: Salvia koyame, Kaleidoscope FOR Salvia sclarea

Teatimeantics: rohdea babies, hellebore seedlings, chyrsanthemums x 4
    (Sweet Peg, Bolero, Gethsemane Moonlight, late blooming heirloom), epimedium
    Frohnleiten FOR Salvia Autumn Moon, Tiny Wine ninebark, Cryptomeria Globosa
    Nana, Lonicera prolifera, and Jazz Hands Night Moves Lorapetalum

Ralph: Alcoasia wentii FOR African Blue Basil

Vlad: epimedium Frohnleiten FOR agave parrasana

Jaimie: mystery sarracenia, Polymnia canadensis, any mystery chrysanthemum you've got to share FOR Doerstenia
    seedling, isodon effusus

Gail: variegated hibiscus, salvia koyame FOR Iris VItafire and Black
    Gamecock

Hosta200/Mike: hopefully Hippeastrum blossfeldiae or other for Hippeastrum reticulatum var striatifolium

Dana: Danae racemosa, epimedium Frohnleiten, helleborus hybridus FOR red
    leaf cotton, white crinum, agave

Screenwriter: Hippeastrum blossfeldiae, Salvia koyame, Heuchera, crinum bulbispermum FOR Adenophora khasiana, Dianthus pinifolius,
    Francoa sonchifolia ‘Rogerson’s Form’, Mum – Red Carousel, asphodeline

• karen__w z7 NC

These are some things I rooted over the winter or am potting up this week, as part of my horticultural therapy stay-cation. A lot of these are one offs. Jaimie, I still owe you so if you don't see something, I'll look again for something you might like.

Cestrum orange peel

Salvia greggii - can't find the tag, might be Heatwave Blaze

Lespedeza thunbergii ‘Gilbralter’

Solidago ‘Golden Fleece’

Aesculus sylvatica

Tibouchina grandifolia

Spirea ‘Anthony Waterer’
    (probably)

Salvia ‘Anthony Parker’

white Lantana

Kalanchoe sp (from
    Tropiflora)

Danae racemosa

Clematis patens (if they
    survive the transplant)

white Callicarpa

Thuja Sherwood Frost

Ceropegia lineata

Vitex trifoliata purpurea

Pilea peperomoides

Begonia dregei

Illicium seedlings

Iris tectorum

Ralph, if you find you've got enough of the bronze painted fern, I'd love to get a piece if there's something else on my list you'd like.

Brenda, can I get Clerodendrum bungei and Viola dissecta off your list?

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC

Ralph, thank you so much for the Alocasia! My garden didn't do to well last year and I lost many of my coleus over the winter, but I do have two for you. that I don't think you have Plus I have a nice plectranthus Silver Shield in a gallon pot for you.

• brenda_near_eno

Karen, absolutely on cashmere bouquet and violet. The rue anemone is a tiny pot. You always bring me so much! How about striped or spotted toad lily, prunus mume, and bloodroot? I also have black cohosh easily dug.

• karen__w z7 NC

Brenda, I would seriously love some bloodroot.

• Crystal Christensen
    Teatimeantics, I could bring you a couple of heuchera I could trade you if you have and of the salvia Autumn Moon left
  • CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Karen__w, interested in Lespedeza thunbergii ‘Gilbraltar’ and Danae racemosa. You are already getting a Callistemon 'Woodlander's Red' seedling. Since you've expressed interest in dwarfs, would you prefer one of the slower growing?

Anything else?

• brenda_near_eno

Karen, a prunus mume too?

• brenda_near_eno

Maybe for white callicarpa?

• Jaimie

Crystal, yay!

Karen, I'd be interested in the Aesculus sylvatica. I just got a parva and parviflora last week, so this might be year of the buckeyes!

• Jaimie

Ralph, is there a particular type of plant you're looking for?

I'm still waiting for things to emerge but there are a few other things that may be of interest I could divide. I have a Cleopatra canna lily (red stripe on leaves, yellow flowers and where red stripe on stem intersects turns red) that I got last year that looks like has a leaf coming up far enough away I could possibly divide. Similarly have 'Intrigue' canna lily, dwarf canna lily cannasol happy carmen (red), dwarf canna lily cannasol orange one (tag said carmen but it was mislabeled, probably happy eva or cleo), an unnamed pink canna lily that looks like might be pink sunburst, Aristolochia clematitis, big dipper elephant ear (what the arboretum called it, but honestly hasn't gotten too big for me, maybe I should move some to another spot), gardenia in 3gal pot, 'drimiopsis 'slow fade (it made it through this last winter for me, called an African false hosta but looks more like a wide leaf silver squill), salvia ulginosa (bog sage, the bees LOVE this plant).

As well as the other things I listed earlier, mystery sarracenia (can help identify once they're growing), red velvet elvis iris, japanese iris (looks like eco easter), indian chief iris, polymnia canadenssi houttuynia cordata variegated chameleon plant, hlianthus angustifolius, strawberry begonia, fennel, canna lilies (yellow, pink, red banana leaf), yellow archangel, double flowering kerria, chrysanthemum (its either lava or river city by kings mums), wire vine.

This weekend I can update if anything else has come up that's I can sneak off a division from.

• Jaimie

Hollyclyff, I'd like the pink crinum too :)

• Jaimie

What I have so far (? before is an unconfirmed trade):

Vlad

Trading

- Sarracenia (can help ID when grows) - 3

For

- Edgeworthia

Karen

Trading

- Sarracenia (can help ID when grows) - 2

- Polymia canadensis

- Chrysanthemum

For

- Dorstenia seedling

- Isodore effusus

- ? Aesculus sylvatica

Crystal

Trading

- Sarracenia (can help ID when grows)- 4

- Sarracenia (can help ID when grows)- 7

For

- Mystery sar!

- colossus mix sar

Judy

Trading

- Sarracenia (can help ID when grows) -5

- reblooming white iris

- red velvet

For

- Stargazer hydrangea

- Helleborus foetidus

- Ostrich fern

- turk's cap lily

Hosta

Trading

- Sarracenia (can help ID when grows) - 1

Lorabell

Trading

- Kerria

- Iris (white reblooming if I have enough, red velvet if not)

For

- ? Reblooming yellow iris

- ? Peony

Hollycliff

Trading

- Iris japonica

- red velvet elvis

For

- White crinum

- ? Pink crinum

Screenwriter

Trading

- Helianthus augustifolios

- Sarracenia (can help ID when grows) - 6

- Purple leaf peach

- Dig up a lady margaret offshoot

- Iris japonica

- red velvet elvis

- forsythia kumson

For

- Tricyrtis 'Angel's Halo'

- Francoa sonchifolia 'Rogerson's Form'

- Wild Ginger

- Uvularia

- Asphodeline lutea ‘King’s Spear’

- Thalictrum delavayi

Brenda

Trading

- Iris japonica

- creeping jenny

- ?

For

- Rice paper plant

- Black snakeroot (cohosh?)

- Open pollinated toad lilies

Countrygirl

Trading

- Red velvet iris

For

- black gamecock

Ralph

Trading

- ?

For

- Precious giant EE baby

• PRO
    Screenwriter

Crystal, do you have another piece of Doreen Colossus? What can I bring you? I didn't see your wish list.

Ralph, I didn't see your wish list either.

• PRO
    Screenwriter

Jamie, I also have for you a red/white Epimedium and brugmansia. More shoots are coming up, so I should have one for you. I also have you sharing with me iris 'Eco Easter.'

• brenda_near_eno

Jaimie, that’s right. It is black cohosh - black snakeroot is another common name, but has two meanings. Would love some of your kerria if available?

• Hollyclyff

Jaimie, I’ve put you down for both the white and the pink crinum.

• karen__w z7 NC

Jaimie, bringing you Aesculus sylvatica, parent is from a rescue site near RTP. This is a photo of my little buckeye forest today.

• pambucol

Jamie, did you buy a truck?

You are going to fill that car of yours up again :-)

Vlad

• karen__w z7 NC

Lester, I put you down for Lespedeza thunbergii ‘Gilbraltar’ and Danae racemosa. Thanks for remembering the Callistemon, I'll trust you to pick me out a good seedling. I'm also interested in a rooted cutting of Cryptomeria Elegans Nana that's on your trade list.

Brenda, I'd be glad to bring you a baby white callicarpa. I think I'd like to try your black cohosh in my woods. Am assuming the deer leave it alone since it grows at your house.

• Jaimie
    Screenwriter, I'll get on that on list tonight, the iris japonica is the Eco Easter iris :)

Brenda, sure. I'll dig them up this weekend to confirm I've got enough with roots - I'm interested to see how they work for you. I got from my Mom in NY and has a big flush of flowers in spring and that's it. But for me (more sun? Or heat? Here's is on edge of the woods on north side of road, so gets less sun to the full full south facing sunny spot mine is in) last year it never stopped blooming until winter came

Karen, beautiful!!! Do hummingbirds like it?

Vlad... I was trying to reign back the plant glee this year... I guess that might not be working as well as I thought :O
    I do really want that truck though
  • CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

Jaimie, our own Aesculus parviflora is a magnet for carpenter bees, totally ignored by hummingbirds.

Since hummingbirds prefer red flowers, we guess A. pavia might be more attractive to them.

• karen__w z7 NC

Jaimie, I’ve read that hummingbirds like A sylvatica but I’ve never seen them on mine. Maybe there are other things blooming in the neighborhood that they prefer?

• Jaimie

Well it seems to be blooming a little early for them too, so there is that. My mom was telling me how when she bought her Pavia at a nursery it was advertised as a hummingbird tree. She bright or if the car and put down and immediately a humming bird flew over to it to grab some nectar. I only get a few hummingbirds myself, so would love to lure in some more. They seem to live the black and blue Salvia a lot, so she color isn't too much a limitation. But that's okay, I got Pavia and paviflora now too!

Also, the carpenter bees LOVE my passionflowers... Too an intoxicating level.

And for me bee love , these bumbles were having fun on the bluebeard plant last summer https://photos.app.goo.gl/V4tn8tGEE9anngiX8

• thinkingofplants

Lorabell can I have some of your hardy begonias?

• thinkingofplants

Karen_w, do you have any of the plants from your list left? I saw several I was interested in. I have variegated hosta, sedum autumn joy that bloom pinkish/purple flowers, lime green trailing sedum, regular yucca, mint, daylilies, beared iris that blooms purple flowers and a few that bloom white, lucky bamboo(indoor)

• karen__w z7 NC

Thinkingofplants, I can always use a white bearded iris. Let me know which plant on my list you’d like to trade for.

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC

Elsie thanks, I will add another ginger lily to your list for the black berry

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC

Jaimie, I woud love to get one of the Indian Chief Irises!

Lorabell, your Georgetown Noisette rose has buds on it!

• Jaimie

Okay, new method... lets see if a google doc works better than the horrible formatting that keeps happening in the posted lists

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NkT25EI8CfKJjCsqdz4edmUU4f_EJm0k_wv3upMwO6s/edit?usp=sharing

Countrygirl, do you have another Earl of Essex iris left?

Screenwriter, do you want a smaller or larger purple leaf peach? (anywhere from like 2" tall to 30" or so)

• karen__w z7 NC

Nice format!

• PRO
    Screenwriter

Jaimie, your list is correct. Larger peach would be better.

• Judy Brown

Jaimie - Can I get a purple leaf peach tree - 30"?

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).