Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harry757

Fungal mycelium?

harry757
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Found this in my worm and compost bins today. Looks to me like mycelium but thought I’d post pictures to get any comments. This is the result of adding some finished bokashi about 2 weeks ago.

I’m assuming that this is a good thing.

Comments (14)

• armoured
    5 years ago

It sure looks like fungus, who knows what kind or kinds. A good thing? If it doesn't bother the worms, yes.

Note that if it does bother the worms, there isn't that much you can do but mix it up - which won't do that much, but perhaps give other organisms a small advantage in competing. The worms will move into this stuff when they want (when it's good eating for them).

This is all pretty normal BTW - take some stuff from a specific environment (like bokashi) and put it in a new environment with different conditions, some organisms will tend to take over/dominate/compete faster than others; usually that only lasts a short while, i.e. you shouldn't necessarily worry about a quick bloom of something visible. (Also the 'dominance' I referred to might only be at the surface - the visible part).

Anyway, shorter answer - probably fine, probably leave it alone ).

harry757 thanked armoured
  • harry757
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wasn't worried, just thought it was interesting and wanted to post the pics. Amazing the amount of growth over such a short time even with temps around +5C. Don't get any fungus like that when I add my usual kitchen scraps!

As a side note, is it my imagination or has the activity on this and other topics such as Soil Compost and Mulch really died down during the past year or so? When I first began logging into this site a few years ago there was lots of postings. Don't check it as often now because I'm not seeing much action. Have people found a more active and informative forum or has the interest in the topics I happen to follow just waning a bit?

• harry757
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, that's good to hear gardengal. I guess I'll look forward to more activity in the coming months.

P.S If you are living out in the Midwest or East coast I hope your deep freeze ends soon and you get some sunshine and warmer temps like we have here today in the PNW.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago

Wow cool. I love seeing mycelium. The vast majority are beneficial components of a lively soil food web.

• annpat
    5 years ago

The worms are looking good, harry. February's a slow month. I always try to get a whole mess of strangers online to celebrate my February birthday, but it's uphill sledding sometimes.

harry757 thanked annpat
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    5 years ago

Happy Birthday!

tj

• harry757
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes annpat, they were doing well but that was in late Jan. and it's below freezing right now so I'm sure they're struggling a bit. Next 2 weeks is forecast to be below freezing at night so I will be placing 1-gallon plastic milk jugs of hot water inside the bins to try to raise the temperature a bit. It's worked for me before.

Happy belated birthday to you.

• annpat
    5 years ago

NO, NO! Not belated. Not belated yet, that is.

You're able to recognize the eggs, right? With that amount of young 'uns, your bins must have tons of little brown eggs.

• 11otis
    5 years ago

"brown" Annpat? You've lost me.

How are you? Haven't seen you in ages.

• annpat
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know! How have you been, otis? Yes, my worms' eggs are brown or yellowish and lemon-shaped. harry is bored, so I was making conversation.

harry757 thanked annpat
  • annpat
    5 years ago

Okay, now you can wish me happy belated birthday.

• 11otis
    5 years ago

Happy Belated B-Day, Annpat. And Happy V's. Sorry, old age kicking in every now and then but other than that OK, I guess.

• annpat
    5 years ago

Yes, this is the first year that I've thought to myself, "Hm. I believe my body used to work differently." For instance at Thanksgiving on my way to Virginia, a hotel clerk claimed he knew where I was from. and when I raised my foot high above the lobby counter to show the man the winter boots I'd left home in, my other foot went out from under me and I landed flat on the floor in the lobby. One minute I was smiling at the clerk, the next minute I was completely gone from his view. (But not gone from the view of all the people having breakfast.) I think in the past I was able---probably---to lift my foot above a hotel counter if I'd tried.

I used to be able to do a bird call. I did it my whole life. I did it last summer and my inner lip got sucked up between my teeth and I got a huge blood blister. Now I don't ever dare try it again.

I'm a shadow of my former self.