Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
char1986

Keep the builtin bookshelf or get rid of it?

char1986
5 years ago

We like a rustic/Scandinavian vibe:) We are moving the tv and cabinet to a different room.

Living room · More Info

Living room · More Info

Keep the book shelf
Remove the book shelf

Comments (17)

• char1986
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Beth - very cool!

• PRO
    Door Corner
    5 years ago

Keep the bookshelf, it's beautiful! We agree with painting it, which is personal choice for color, but you could even put your TV in it! Good luck!

char1986 thanked Door Corner
  • highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Are those shelves fixed? There are too many of them, too close together. Also, I think the bookcase is too narrow for that space--or just in the wrong place in the room IMO

char1986 thanked highdesertowl
  • char1986
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank-you Door Corner - we hadn't thought about painting the back a different colour - so cool!

• char1986
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Chocolatesnap - yes unfortunately they are fixed. I thought they were too close together as well --and it always looked cluttered whenever I put decor in the spaces

• highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Well, if the shelves are not working for you for decor, and assuming you don't plan to extend them around the room to create a library :) I would definitely remove them. Seems like they are just limiting you and your options. I'm not sure whether it is possible to move them to another room--maybe storage? Or garage? Or study? Where they can become more utilitarian? Regardless, they are useless to you where they are, in both function and form; I don't think paint will change that. On the other hand--a cabinet like you have in the picture, but twice as long, would be nice. Maybe consider a larger TV off-set to the left, and some cool art between the TV and the fireplace? Why not a TV in that room? It looks like it could be the room people will want to be in the most often?

• char1986
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you chocolatesnap! Such good points. I hate throwing stuff out and that's a great recommendation to move them to the garage and use the shelves there. Yes- you are correct this is the room people use most often on our main floor

• highdesertowl
    5 years ago

Not sure this is helpful, but I too have a fireplace in the corner of the living room. Our room is just off the kitchen and dining area, and is definitely where we spend the most time. Someday I hope to get a longer buffet table for the TV, but works well enough for now. Personally, I think the newer TVs are thin and dressy enough for a main room :)

• PRO
    Cadaxx Design
    5 years ago

I'd say remove it, it makes that wall look quite cluttered. Even with removing the TV, it will look out of place.

char1986 thanked Cadaxx Design
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO unless you have some fabulous things to display I would lose that bookcase. I also would look at a much lower TV cabinet that allows the TV to be at eye level with the center of the screen when you are seated.

char1986 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • char1986
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Patricia - I don't have anything fabulous to display (with two baby boys - I have to keep things practical and baby proof!!)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I love a good Scandinavian vibe. Those shelves ain't it.

char1986 thanked groveraxle
  • char1986
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ha ha ha!!! Thank-you SO MUCH!! Thats some amazing Scandinavian vibing in your photo!:)

• patisse
    5 years ago

Your shelves would be great in a playroom or children’s room with games, toys,books and stuffed animals.

char1986 thanked patisse
  • patisse
    5 years ago

And high shelves for photos and kids artwork?

char1986 thanked patisse
  • char1986
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes- such a great idea:) thankyou!!