Shop Products
sah67

Anyone familiar with the "Northern Grown" brand?

I've noticed this brand being sold at many of our local (upstate NY) garden centers over the last year or two. The plant tags have a tagline that's something like "Northern Grown...to thrive in your landscape." I've seen the brand attached to a wide variety of zones 4,5 and 6-rated perennials and shrubs, along with a few small fruit and flowering trees.

The tags have no contact information and extensive Google research turns up absolutely nothing about this brand, other than that they're totally unaffiliated with the Hosta/Daylily nursery in Wisconsin.

Is it possible they're a subsidiary or "sub-brand" of one of the larger growers (Monrovia, Proven Winners, etc.?)

I don't really have a more specific question/concern: I've purchased several items under this brand, and have been pretty happy with the quality of the plants, as well as the wide range they offer (quite a few specialty/hard-to-find items and rarer native species as well). I'm just curious if anyone's familiar with them or know their story. If not, I can try to contact one of the local garden centers, as they're clearly placing yearly orders from this grower.

• 5 years ago

Here are a couple of examples of plant labels, if that helps to ring a bell for anyone:

• 5 years ago

I see them here in NH at independent garden centers and plants have been healthy and suited to the region. I don’t know anything else about them.

• 5 years ago

How odd...! I’ve not seen that here so I assume it’s a US brand/marketing slogan. I can’t find anything on-line about it. My guess is it would be something promoted by an organization of northern plant growers/nurseries... Somebody obviously went to a great deal of effort to produce those tags! Is there a specific growers name (or a horticultural trade association’s name) anywhere on the tags?

• 5 years ago

@woodyoak - No. There's no mention of any grower or really any corporate entity at all on the label. It's pretty strange.

• 5 years ago

I Googled. They have an informative website. They say they grow their own stock.

• 5 years ago

Hmmmm, I Googled as well and didn't come up with anything other than the hosta/daylily nursery....which is not the same thing and does not offer a very broad range of plants. Certainly not the magnolia that one tag belongs to!! And that is a mail order only nursery so unlikely to be supplying regional retail garden centers.

• 5 years ago

@floral What website did you find?

• 5 years ago

i know the hosta dude.. and he isnt a big time operation ... [he is the first link in the search link below]

but i did search out the phrase 'northern grown to thrive in your landscape'.... and came up with this operation .. its the link right below the hosta dude ... i suspect this is the right track ... but i am just guessing i am on the right track ....

http://www.robertbaker.com/northern_index.htm

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=northern+grown+to+thrive+in+your+landscape&t=ffcm&ia=web

• 5 years ago

btw .. proven winners is tied in pretty heavy with walters gardens out of zeeland mi ... ken

https://www.waltersgardens.com/

• 5 years ago

Ken - thanks, but that doesn't look to be it at all. There's no mention of the actual brand or the logo from my tags, and the company I'm looking for is definitely just a plant grower, not a landscaping/lighting design business that also deals in wholesale plants.

Without the use of quotation marks, your search results were just returning links that included the individual words, "northern" and "landscape", like the one you referred to.

• 5 years ago

Ok. The one I found was the hosta and daylily place. My mistake.

• 4 years ago

@sah67 did you have any luck with this. i found the same thing at Wadlers in the Catskills but couldn't find the source. any luck since your post in January??

• 4 years ago

vicken - Nope! I still see the tag frequently at my local nurseries, but haven't been able to figure out the source yet!

• 4 years ago

i'm going to ask Steve Wadler about it...let's see if he gives up his source. When i saw it in March of this year, he said that he couldn't get more until next March...which was odd

• 4 years ago

I was googling the brand and ended up at this thread. I ordered an Angel White syringa from Amazon and it was this brand. The lilac looks great, healthy, and huge for its price. I don't know if it's the brand or the nursery.

• 4 years ago

Amazing. Would it be too much trouble to ask you for the Amazon ASIN number ?? Thank you. V

• 4 years ago

B06XQ4RQ81. The seller is Green Promise Farms and the plant was wrapped so well too.

• 3 years ago

So happy to see this thread...I too have been wondering about Northern grown. Did anyone find out more?

• 3 years ago

I’ve been searching for the brand too! I have these tags of stuff I planted last year, my yard is full of stuff from the brand. I also included photos of another brand that I found a website on. They’re called American Beauties Native Plants.

• 3 years ago

The Northern Grown marketing angle is of no specific practical consequence except for anything promoted by it having been grown outdoors throughout the year at the same latitude by a production facility showing that it was cold hardy there. In the case where an item is otherwise comparatively untested in some way. Otherwise what determines a plant's regional suitability is its genetics. And this inherent feature is not affected by where the nursery that grew it is located.

• 3 years ago

someone On this thread found it and emailed the name to me. The nursery is in Connecticut so I didn’t bother further because in looking for something that Can grow In the Catskills and it feels like some 4 up there. CT was too low for me.

• 3 years ago

@embothrium that may be but I, and possibly the OP, were looking to find the production nursery in order to get more of a specific plant that I have been able to find anywhere else so in this case the grower matters.

• 3 years ago

Unable to find

• 3 years ago

The nursery is in Connecticut so I didn’t bother further because in looking for something that Can grow In the Catskills and it feels like some 4 up there. CT was too low for me.

This is exactly what I was talking about - what matters in regard to where a plant will grow is what the plant is and not where it was produced.

• 3 years ago

agreed. This was a plant I was unable to find elsewhere.

• 3 years ago

Must be a pretty rare plant if not available through any other vendors! What is it?

• 3 years ago

a form of hypericum androsemum called Maroon Bells. I was able to get one plant through a mail-order nursery but that has been all I could find. It has a common name of Tutsan though not sure that is exactly the same thing.

• 3 years ago

Chances are that is very easy to root from cuttings so if you have one plant try propagating more yourself.

• 2 years ago

I've been trying to locate their site as well. We bought a baby blue spruce while in Maine. The tags says it can reach height of 50' but all searches for the pine says 20', which is what I prefer. I want to compare the info on the tag to their info on their site

• 2 years ago

@REBECCA HAMMOND, I would be inclined to think that while in ideal circumstances a blue spruce can reach 50’, they are trees whose native range is in the arid mountain west, and in this area with our humidity, they often get fungal diseases that cause them to lose needles. I planted several 14 years ago in central NH before I knew it would be an issue, and am now considering cutting them down. so mine will never get that tall.

• 2 years ago

becca ....

start you own post.. in the conifer or tree forum ... add pix of your plant.. as well as the tag if any ...

spruces are not pines ... but that is semantics ... but it matters ...

both are conifer.. and both are trees ... as such.. neither ever really stop growing at some magical height... i refer you to any view of a forest ...

there are dwarf versions.. that grow slower ... and consequently are smaller.. OVER THE DECADES ....

the conifer folks need to see yours ... and see if we can narrow it down for you ...

you might also throw in a pic of the spot you want to plant it in .... and include your big city name location ... and we can guess how long it will take.. for it to outgrow that spot... it is probably easy to presume.. it should be planted at a min.. 10 feet from the house .... unless its a mini ...

ken

• 2 years ago

I have seen these labels too, somewhere in NE Maryland or the Delaware Valley region.

I am pretty sure wholesalers can buy generic labels, such that you might see an exactly similar label from two different wholesalers even though they are totally unrelated companies. I wonder if that is the case here...any wholesalers (in the north, we hope!) can order this set of labels for their plant offerings, making them sound like they will be extra-tough in yer garden cuz they're 'northern grown'. None of those sissified southern grown shrinking violets!

Otherwise the label would say more about where this mythic almost-at-the-north-pole nursery is located ;-)

• 10 months ago

Yes! i bought a rose of sheron from them in 2022. and i plant it before the freeze . i live in

southeast tx. it is blooming. even with the hot summer we are having. im going to buy from them again.