0

OBF Bunnies, Butterflies, Birds and Blooms: Feb. 2019

sandlapper_rose

I've gone quite crafty for February since in much of the country it's too cold to do a lot with the garden right now. You will be sending one or more handcrafted items from the categories above. I have links that I will send to you for making versions of these craft items and of course you can make them a different way if you like.

If what you make is quite complex, you can send just one item. Make more of anything that goes together quickly. However, what you send must fit in a padded envelope or one of the small size boxes that you can get through the post office or a plain similar sized one from your stash. With a padded envelope or box of your own, this swap can be mailed by first class parcel rate which is quite reasonable. I know some will want to add another little item when you mail, but this is not required and anything that is not a handcrafted bunny, butterfly, bird or bloom is limited to just ONE small item. So you can add one pack of seeds, one candy bar, one packet of hot cocoa, one teabag or something similar if you like. Game points will be added to your score for following the rules so please don't go overboard.

These bunnies, butterflies, birds, and blooms can be created as a gift tag or embellishments to use when wrapping a gift, something to add to a note card, something to hang on a refrigerator or bulletin board, something to use in making other crafts. The item is to be the size of your hand or smaller and with Valentine's Day and Easter ahead, the recipient will love it!

First here are the OBF rules:
*Our Blooming Friends Swap Group (0BF) was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you.

*Please be a successful member of GardenWeb/HOUZZ and have completed a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be sent to Shirley (Brittneysgran).

1. Have fun! No bickering!

2. Send your swap by posted deadline. If you are going to be late in sending, please POST that on the swap thread.

3. Always include a Delivery Confirmation/Tracking number and post it on the swap thread when you send the package

4. Please send things that you yourself would enjoy receiving.

5. Please post after you have received your swap and let us know what you have received

6. You will be required to replace a swap package that does not make it to your partner, for any reason. Also you'll be required to replace any item that arrives broken/damaged.

7. New members, for the first two swaps, you will be required to send your swaps first.

8. If for some reason, you must pull out of a swap, please let the swap host know ASAP.

I know some may wonder if you are interested in making these kind of items before you sign up. If you will let me know, I can send the list of possible instructions to you before you decide. You do not need to make the item exactly as it's shown. Some will be made with items you already have on hand. If you need to buy something, make whatever the item is simple and inexpensive on yourself, by substituting and simplifying where you can.

Please sign up by Feb. 8. Send your item by Feb. 19. It's a short month this month so we'll keep things moving along.

Any questions, just ask.

Jeanne

• ruthz

Here's the deal, I don't do crafts much unless it's something for these swaps, so I feel I'm outside of my wheelhouse here.

With that being said, count me in. I'm sure I can come up with something.

• sandlapper_rose

I hope you will get something that you absolutely love in this swap, Ruth. Thanks for signing up. I'll send you the links that I have in case you want to look at some ideas. However, even though I am sending these out for members who want to look through them, make your item any way you wish.

Signed up:

Jeanne

Ruth

• ruthz

Jeanne I have a couple of ideas already but if you want to send links that's fine also. I changed wording above. Anything sent will be fine, I'm just not sure I'm thinking on the lines you are with a craft project.

• smitties

I would like to join in too. Handcrafted gifts are something I like to receive. Could you send me the links as well. I have ideas but want to make sure I am on the same page. Margo

• brittneysgran

Sign me up Jeanne and I would like to receive the links as well.

• amybabyboy3

I would like to join and would like to also receive the links. Thank you, Amy

• sandlapper_rose

Glad to see others are up for the challenge. My problem is deciding if I want to do a bunny, bird, butterfly or bloom. Links were sent by Message to the members who signed up so far. If you don't receive it, let me know.

Signed up:

Jeanne

Ruth

Shirley

Amy

Okay, since there will be a points game, I'll begin giving some out.

Ruth gets 1 point for being the first person to sign up.

Here's a guessing question. (Worth 1 point for each part you get right and any OBF member can guess by posting here before Sunday.)

1. Have I ever had a bunny as a pet?

2. If so, how many bunnies have I had over the years?

Jeanne

• ruthz

1. Have I ever had a bunny as a pet?............yes

2. If so, how many bunnies have I had over the years?...........3

• skyblue52

put me in on this one. yes to a bunny and 1 bunny

• amybabyboy3

Yes We had a bunny when I was a kid and my son Garrett has a bunny now. Her name is Honey!

• sandlapper_rose

Welcome to the swap, Susan!

Signed up:

Jeanne

Ruth

Shirley

Amy

Susan

Amy, if you want to guess for game points, the question is whether I ever had a bunny as a pet and if so, how many have I had over the years. (Sorry, I might not have made that clear.)

Susan, I'll message the links to you in case you want ideas of what to make.

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3

1. Have I ever had a bunny as a pet? yes

2. If so, how many bunnies have I had over the years? 8

Sorry Jeanne, I misread the question.

• brittneysgran

2. If so, how many bunnies have I had over the years? 2

• smitties

Oops, question was supposed to be answered before today but I missed it. If I can be included, i am going to say

no bunnies

• sandlapper_rose

You're okay to answer, Margo. I'm just signing in now.

The answers are yes and 3.

I had a bunny around age 14 or so and his name was Sniffles.

Then another bunny not long after my husband and I got married. His name was Harvey.

Another when my daughters were young. He was named Patrick.

I love to pet rabbits. They are so soft ... and cute to watch, too!

Okay - let's see about points.

Ruth - Both Correct for 2 points (total of 3)

Susan - 1 point

Shirley - 1 point

Amy - 1 point

Margo - 0 points

I'll get some more questions posted during the week.

Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak

Jeanne I'd like to sign up for this month. Taking your word that the crafts are "simple". Please send me the links for instructions.

• sandlapper_rose

Welcome, Beth!

Signed up:

Jeanne

Ruth

Shirley

Amy

Susan

Beth

Sending links to you, Beth. These were just for ideas and help, but if you want to make something different: bunny, butterfly, bird or bloom, it's fine!

Jeanne

• Melinda Hagen

I will be skipping this month! Not creative and doing other thinss! Sorry!

• sandlapper_rose

Thanks for stopping by, Melinda. Hopefully you'll stop in again when we get to post what we've received.

• brittneysgran

Jeanne I too had some rabbits for pets and just loved them. I don't think there were many animals we didn't have as pets when we were younger and the kids were home. When Brittney (GD) was old enough to take care of pets we bought some pigmy goats but she was never into taking care of them.

• sandlapper_rose

I hope there's beautiful weather in some other parts of the country. It has been just perfect here.

We have another question (1 point for those who guess correctly by posting here by the end of the day Friday):

There is one type of butterfly that I see almost daily during the summer here in our garden. (Not a moth, it's a butterfly.) What kind is it?

Jeanne

• smitties

I'm guessing swallowtail.

• ruthz

I'll guess cloudless sulphur.

I've been seeing them in my yard recently. We've gotten up to 70's and 80's the past few days, but Friday night is forecasted to be 29.

• PaperFinch

Please sign me up!

(I'm guessing Pieridae butterflies)

• ruthz

I wanted to join this swap but didn't really want to do a craft.

I decided to go ahead and join in anyway.

I just finished and it's been fun deciding what to do and then doing it.

• brittneysgran

Ruth can't wait to see everyone's handiwork. I love doing crafts but it is hard for me to just take the time to do it.

Butterflies - Monarchs

• sandlapper_rose

Adding you to the list, Lisa. Welcome!

I'll send the links to you in case you want to look for some ideas. Of course, make your bunny, bird, butterfly or bloom however you like. It doesn't have to be from one of these links.

Signed up:

Jeanne

Ruth

Shirley

Amy

Susan

Beth

Lisa

• sandlapper_rose

Eastern Swallowtail is the butterfly I see a lot in my garden. Margo gets a point!

Point total now

Ruth - 3 points

Susan - 1 point

Shirley - 1 point

Amy - 1 point

Margo - 1 points

And here are the partners for this swap:

Jeanne - Margo

Beth - Shirley

Amy - Ruth

Susan - Lisa

Have a good day! I'll think of some more questions so we can build up our points for this month.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose

We've had a question for bunnies and butterflies - now it's time for birds.

1. Have I ever had a pet bird?

2. If so, what kind or kinds?

3. Within the past week I have seen lots and lots of this kind of wild bird in our area. Any guess what kind?

3 points if you get all of them right (1 point each.) Please post by the end of the day Tuesday. Then I'll think of something to post in conjunction with Valentine's Day. I hope everyone had a good weekend.

• Beth Brownberry

my guesses 1)yes 2)parakeet 3) Cardinals

• ruthz

1. yes

2. Cockatiels

3. Chickadee

• smitties

Yes, parakeet, turkeys

• brittneysgran

Yes, lovebirds, blue jays

• amybabyboy3

1. Yes

2. Cockatoo

3. Cardinals

• ruthz

Amy, your package is on the way.

• skyblue52

hello girls 1-yes 2- parakeet 3- sparrows sunny day but cold. come on March

• sandlapper_rose

Sorry to be this late in the day. It has been a busy one here.

The answers were yes, parakeet, robins.

I probably had various parakeets when I was young, never more than one at a time though. The one that I remember in particular was named Andy. They used to have these records to teach your bird to talk and Andy could say some things so he was special. My mother claimed that one day when it was close to the time I would return home from school she heard him say, "Mom, I'm home." I wasn't home yet.

Does anyone else remember when places like Woolworth's sold parakeets, canaries, those little turtles, fish, mice and other pets? I always went to see them when we shopped there, but I never had a canary - although I did have fish and turtles. I think they found out later on that those little turtles carried some kind of disease but I don't remember what it is. I've always thought it would be great to have a macaw or a cockatoo, but with an indoor cat and dog I don't think there are any pet birds in my future.

As for the robins, we've had flocks and flocks of them here lately. I saw them all over the trees here at home for several days and then saw them at the farm where my horses are as well -- I don't think the smaller birds come around at the same time since the robins are so large. Anyway, maybe a sign of Spring?

Additional Points:

Beth +2 (2)

Ruth +1 (4)

Margo +2 (3)

Shirley +1 (2)

Amy +1 (2)

Susan +2 (3)

In parentheses is the total at this point.

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day tomorrow! I will post some questions but likely won't get to post them until late this evening. Still thinking ...

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose

I thought quickly and came up with a game. Post these by the end of the day on the 15th if you want to participate. Only 5 song names per person because I know we could go on and on. It must be the title of the song and not just a lyric that is sung as part of the song.

So here's your task. List the 5 song titles of any love/romance style song that includes the word Bunny or Bunnies, Bird or Birds, Butterfly or Butterflies or Bloom or Blooms (not flowers --- must include the word bloom). 1 point for each of the 5 correct titles listed.

I can't wait to see which ones come to mind.

That's all for today!

• ruthz

Love Is Like A Butterfly, Butterfly kisses, When Doves Cry ( bloom & doves), Free Bird, Kiss from a Rose

I may not have understood correctly. Some of these may not count.

• brittneysgran

Elusive Butterfly

Snowy White Bird of Paradise

Birds of a Feather

Butterflies (Kasey Musgraves)

Bunny Rabbits are nice

• smitties

Butterfly - crazy town

Black bird - Beatles

Hummingbird - seals and Croft

Swallow song - Joan Baez

The swallow - moody blues

• amybabyboy3
    Ruth, Thank you for the hand painted/sewn beautiful pincushion! The candies are yummy and braided Valentine is so cute! Thanks so much! Amy

I finally got your package wrapped up and it is heading out tomorrow!
  • amybabyboy3

So pretty!

• skyblue52
    • Bunnies Butterflies Birds and Blooms
    • Lisa
    • your package will be there soon
  • sandlapper_rose

Great to see all the songs. I'll wait until tomorrow to award points since members can still enter!

Margo, I received your swap today. It's fantastic! I'll take a picture tomorrow when we have daylight so I can post it here. I think they look perfect.

I suspect the post office is closed on Monday for Presidents Day so I will mail on Tuesday. Down to the wire this time!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose

Here's what I received from Margo. Beautiful! Thanks so much.

Margo made butterflies out of flowers and they are perfect. Even antennae with beads fastened to them.. The butterflies are magnets and I have them on my freezer. There was also a really cute card and some flower magnets that I can color (or leave as is) and add to my indoor butterfly garden

• sandlapper_rose

As for the points for songs, there were a few that I couldn't make a connection between the song and the theme of love or romance. Please correct me if I didn't make the connection and should have.

Additional Points:

Beth (2)

Ruth +5 (9)

Margo +3 (6)

Shirley +3 (5)

Amy +1 (2)

Susan +2 (3)

In parentheses is the total as of today.

Have a great weekend. My daffodils are blooming and they are my favorite flower. We're supposed to get rain for several days so I hope they don't get tattered. If I see signs of that, I'll cut them and bring them inside to be in a vase. They last longer outside though so I hope it doesn't rain too hard.

• skyblue52

First flower sneaking out. Freezing rain for next 2 days