0

Did anyone else get a security notice from Houzz ?

signet_gw(6b)

Got an email yesterday from Houzz . Trying to determine if it is real or a hoax . Anyone else get a notice ?

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

I did and I was wondering the same thing.

signet_gw(6b) thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Julia NY

Yes, I did. I don't plan to change anything since a Houzz password is only good on Houzz. Just goes to show nothing is secure so never use the same password for other sites and never login with your FB account. Maybe it was hacked to find out who is posting all the political "hot topics" posts.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Julia NY
  • shive

I didn't.

signet_gw(6b) thanked shive
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

This is a copy of the notice I received. I was wondering about a hoax also. As hard as it is to get anything done on Houzz, I think I'll leave mine be. Don't remember what it was anyway......Maryl

Hello,

Houzz recently learned that a file containing some of our user data was obtained by an unauthorized third party.

We do not believe that your password was compromised. However, as a precaution, we recommend that you reset your Houzz password by clicking https://www.houzz.com/changePassword or by going into your account settings.

Because we value the trust our community places in us, we also wanted to let you know that we are taking additional steps to improve our security and protect you and your data. We have conducted an internal investigation, engaged with law enforcement, and retained a leading security forensics firm with regard to this matter.

The following types of data could have been impacted by this incident:

• Certain publicly visible information from a user’s Houzz profile only if the user made this information publicly available (e.g., first name, last name, city, state, country, profile description)
    • Certain internal identifiers and fields that have no discernible meaning to anyone outside of Houzz (e.g., country of site used, whether a user has a profile image)
    • Certain internal account information (e.g., email address, user ID, prior Houzz usernames, one-way encrypted passwords salted uniquely per user, IP address, and city and ZIP code inferred from IP address) and certain publicly available account information (e.g., current Houzz username and, if a user logs into Houzz through Facebook, the user’s public Facebook ID)

Importantly, this incident does not involve financial information.

If you have questions, you can find more information at https://help.houzz.com/s/article/security-update.

The Houzz Team

Your Houzz | FAQ | Mobile Apps © 2019 Houzz Inc. | Privacy Policy
    Houzz Inc. 285 Hamilton Avenue, 4th Floor, Palo Alto, CA 94301

signet_gw(6b) thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • signet_gw(6b)

Thanks MaryL . Your notice appears to be the same as mine

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

I got the same message. I changed my password.

Nancy

signet_gw(6b) thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

I got it too.

Sherry

signet_gw(6b) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • mantis__oh

I wish Houzz had spent time enhancing its security rather than revamping its software so that pictures are more difficult to upload. Perhaps the hacking came as a result of the tech update.

signet_gw(6b) thanked mantis__oh
  • signet_gw(6b)

I don't know Mantis_oh but I have been around Gardenweb since the Spike days and all the incarnations since and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened . So you may be right

• Brad KY 6b

I did and I'm not worried about it. What will someone do, steal my daylily pictures? It was hacked probably to get at those businesses that buy and sell and the people who do too. I think those on the forums will be ignored totally since we've nothing to offer.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b