0

R daylilies 2019

sherrygirl zone5 N il

It’s time to see the R daylilies. Here‘s the quote for today: “ Thanks god I don’t have to hunt for my food, I don’t even know where tacos live.......

If I had my way Ruby Spider would be in every garden, I think I said that recently ; )

I adore the color of Real Wind, orange sherbet and raspberry.

This is Ruby Stella, I labeled it wrong. Another attempt to increase rebloom here.

Red Volunteer, a good performer in less than ideal conditions.

Red Hot Returns was added last fall. The fans and blooms are larger than Happy Returns.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

Sherry, my Red Volunteer is in one of my shadier spots and it does very well. As a matter of fact, in the sunny spot it used to be in it faded terribly in the sun. So you probably have it in an ideal spot.

Radiant Moonbeam. It and Ice Carnival look so much alike that one year when condensing daylilies I accidentally combined the clumps. It has actually worked out well, as Ice blooms, finishes then Radiant blooms, giving the clump a long season!

Red Viper is a great bloomer, never missed a beat toting it from Dick's in central OH to central KY 2 years ago.

Red Volunteer is a very nice shade of red.

Regal Finale, excellent late one

Rob Cobb, tall and good bloomer.

Royal Occasion. The throat just glows and it looks so velvety which is hard for the camera to capture.

more to follow

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Brad KY 6b

Russian Rhapsody, reliable early Munson.

Rocket City, always gives a big, bright show.

Regal Heir, a nice, unique color, glowing throat, nice form and often reblooms.

That's all for me

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Sherry, how well does Ruby Stella rebloom? The flower is pretty--I like the watermark.

Here are my R's.

Red Eyed Queen is southern bred one that I hope will do well here. The flowers are very fancy and we have some seedlings coming along from it too.

Raggedy Man is one of our favorite late bloomers.

Raspberry Flambe has pretty flowers but the tall scapes often lean and the flower is frequently blotchy.

This is Raspberry Masquerade. It's another southern that we are taking a chance on.

I put this mess in to show you perhaps the ugliest daylily in the garden. Red Friday just about never has a "good hair day." They are always blotchy. We keep it for hybridizing, but unfortunately don't seem to ever get many seed from it.

Remembering Flo Nix was a gift plant. It probably won't stay in the garden long.

More to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

The camera might have made Riot Act's color a little more intense than it really is.

Rosemary Mussar is a nice bitone.

Rosie Cotton's Ribbons increases well.

Royal Renaissance's flowers are on the small side and not quite as intense in color as this picture shows.

I love the color on Ruby Grandeur. I usually don't care for red selfs, but this one has excellent color and is an excellent grower too.

This picture is a little fuzzy, but I wanted to include it to show this lovely small flowered one named Ruffled Nuggets.

That's it for me.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b

Lots of nice ones, Nancy. Red Eyed Queen and Riot Act are the stand-outs. And wow, Red Friday is exactly what you say it is!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Sherry I would certainly put Ruby Spider in my garden plus all your others.

Brad Royal Occasion really caught my eye. Sumptuous!

Red Magic is a really old one.

Rosie Returns

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • celeste

I agree with Sherry.....Ruby Spider should be in every garden!

RICTER

ROBIN'S TUITION

RED TAILED HAWK

ROCK SOLID

RED KANGAROO

RUNNING IN THE RAIN

RASPBERRY GOOSEBUMPS

ROYAL FROSTING

RED SKELETONS

I will finish up in the next set.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

RON VALENTE

ROYAL TROPHY

ROYAL JESTER

ROYAL FLOURISH

RED EYED FANTASY

RASPBERRY SUEDE

REMINDS ME OF FIREWORKS

RUFFLED APRICOT (an oldie but amazing plant)

I don't think I took photos of Roses in Snow or Rebecca Hockridge in 2018.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, the verdict is still out on Ruby Stella, she’s only been in the garden for 1 1/2 seasons. If I don’t get rebloom on her she may leave. I have Passionate Returns and Red Hot Returns, they are similar and better bloomers so far.

Brad, I really like Red Viper!

Nancy, I adore Riot Act, looking forward to seeing more photos of it this season.

Celeste, Robins Tuition looks really interesting. Ron Valente, such a beauty!

Laurie, you should look for Ruby Spider, it should be available in Canada. The blooms are huge!

Sherry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

celeste I think you have just helped me name a NOID I have had for years. I think your Ruffled Apricot looks just like my mystery.

Ruffled Apricot???

• AaronK79

Rainbow Drive

Red Magic

Red Volunteer

Riot on the Kindergarten Bus

Roses in Snow

Ruby Spider

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked AaronK79
  • celeste

peren.all….That looks like Ruffled Apricot to me! I'm glad your noid now has a name.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Excellent, thank you celeste! You have an astonishingly beautiful collection and I am happy that you keep and show goodies but oldies. I have probably had this one for more than 20 yrs. So glad to be able to put a name to it!

• Brad KY 6b

Celeste, Raspberry Suede is sure dark and looks like it is well budded. I like! Royal Trophy looks huge.

• celeste

peren.all…..I have also had my RA for a long time, no doubt about the same length of time as you. It was my very first daylily and I never tire of it. Even though I've collected hundreds of newer ones, it is still a favorite because of it's awesome performance. I have divided it multiple times to gift my family members because it is so hardy and robust. None of them are gardeners and claim to have 'brown thumbs' but when I visit, RA always looks great. Others I've given didn't fare as well...lol.

Brad, Raspberry Suede is a perfect daylily in my garden. It is always well-budded with strong scapes and the color is magnificent. Even in full sun it looks like velvet. On the database I notice other folk's get more of a red hue than mine, which tends toward deep, dark purple with hints of raspberry. Mine is never RED. But that's the way blooms come out in my soil, purple, as everyone knows. Royal Trophy IS a big bloom.....registered at 7 inches but appears larger. It is a great daylily also.

Thanks for the comments!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Sherry: Just a wonderful picture of Real Wind. One of the first daylilies I grew.....Brad: Royal Occasion certainly sounds and looks luscious....Celeste and Peren.all: Ruffled Apricot is just gorgeous and prolific. If it would just hold that color in our heat........Waiting for Debra's "Razor Sharp". It always makes my pulse quicken and I'm not overly fond of purple...........Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • signet_gw(6b)

Regency Heights

Royal Palace Prince

Rescue Me

Roses in Snow (image taken at night

and in the day time

Reach for the Heavens

Ruby Stella

Rob Cobb

Real Wind

Ruby Throat

Rainbow Maker

Ribbonette

Red Volunteer

Rosie Lights

Probably enough for now

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • Nancy

Rapid Eye Movement

Raspberry Pixie, taller than the stats say it should be, but I like it that way, always a heavy bloomer

Red Rum, nothing fancy, but it blooms a lot

Reminds me of Fireworks, big UF that blooms a lot too

Robert Lee BAtt, I think this one may have died in the heat last summer, hoping it may show up though

Romanian Rendevous-I don't think I spelled that right though. Blooms well here and almost always reblooms

Rose Electra, much prettier pink than it looks in this photo

Supposed to be Roswitha, but I have had it years and only doubled the 1st year. Very slow to increase.

Round and Round we go, unusual color on this one. It took 2 full years for it to bloom, and it was a clump when I received it. It has done petty well since then. Decent bud count, but they seem to bloom together so it isn't in bloom for a long time.

Royal Braid

More to come

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy
  • Nancy

Royal Elk

Ruby Lipstick, this one has been doing really well for me Debra!

Rue Madelaine, nice dark one

Ruffled Apricot

Ruffles have Ripples, this one blooms well, opens nicely, and multiplies well so far

Ruffled Candy

Russian Easter

Brad, I added Regal Finale this year, everyone says it is such a great late one and I need more lates.

Nancy, I hope Rd Eyed Queen and Raspberry Masquerade do well for you, they are very pretty. I need to add Raggedy man if it is a late one. I also like your Rosie Cotton's Ribbons.

Celeste, I know I took photos of my Rock Solid, but can't find them. I am missing lots of photos. Rock Solid is the best bloomer in my garden, seems like once it starts it just goes on and on. I like your Running in the Rain and Royal Trophy

Signet, Regency Heights and Rainbow Maker really caught my eye. Rosie Lights is really pretty too.

Aaron, I am not much on yellow daylilies, but every picture i have ever seen of Riot on the Kindergarden Bus looks loaded with buds. Very tempting to get it for that reason.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy
  • Brad KY 6b

Signet, I like Rosie Lights and Regency Heights. Reach for the Heavens is sure tall!

Nancy, I think Round and Round We Go is quite pretty but I wouldn't like the blooming habits you describe. I used to have Royal Braid but I think it didn't do well; haven't had it for a long time.

• daylilybedmaker

Here are the Rs that I grow:

RAM: Big yellow blooms.

RED HOT CHILI QUACKERS: Left the garden this past summer. All the blooms tended to be splotchy for the past two years.

RING THE BELLS OF HEAVEN: Well budded for me. Very nice face.

ROARING FORK: I kept this one over NILE CRANE. This one is taller and larger.

Continued

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • daylilybedmaker

ROCK SOLID: Good performer.

ROGER GROUNDS: Very nice UFO.

ROSE F. KENNEDY: I may need to move it, as it is not the best performer in its current location.

RED FRIDAY: Not the best face in the garden. It is reportedly a good plant to hybridize with, and that is the only reason it is still in the garden.

RED LIGHTNING: An old Benz intro.

Continued

• daylilybedmaker

RED SUSPENDERS: This is an excellent plant. I took this photo early in the am. It usually twists and pinches. Fertile both ways. I have it growing with LONG TALL SALLY, MEGATRON, RUBY SPIDER and WEBSTER'S PINK WONDER. This grouping of large flowers, grabs visitors attention.

RIVER WIND: This one frequently polys and is spectacular as a poly.

ROGER HERR: Is a nice plant, but it also left the garden as it did not stand out as something unique.

RUBBER DUCKY: Gift plant many years ago.

RUBY SPIDER

RUBY STORM: A fantastic plant.

RUFFLED STORM: Very dark. Blooms pretty well in a highly shaded area.

RUNAWAY ROMANCE: Another wonder Bennett intro.

That is all for me.

David (Zone 5)

PS: RASPBERRY SUEDE is now on my list to acquire.

• shive

Razor Sharp

Red Venom

Red Edition

Razor Eye

Regina Sitko

Ripsaw

Rainbow Maker

Rainbow Dragon

Regal Finale

Royal Jester

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • tarheelgirl_7b

Lots of nice R’s!

Here are my R daylilies:

ROCK CANDY

ROMANIAN RENDEVOUS

ROCK MY WORLD

RAMBUNCTIOUS ROSIE - scapes were leaning

RAINBOW MAKER

RED VENDETTA

ROBERT SEARLES

ROCK SOLID - does well

ROSE F. KENNEDY

Thanks for looking!

Lori

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Lori, Red Vendetta is my fav today, love that dark eye!

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

David, I really like Ring the Bells of Heaven: nice form, color, etc.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Debra: You know your Razor Sharp does it for me in all kinds of ways. Really like it...........David: Runaway Romance is another pretty Bennett pink........Lori: Romanian Rendevous looking beautiful in that cluster shot and Red Vendetta has such a plush vibrant color. Nice ones.............Maryl