0
katiejeane

Has anyone had success with a light brown/gray stain on red oak floor

katiejeane

Looking for a good DuraSeal stain combination to create a nice light, warm brown, while toning down the red on our red oak floors. Has anyone tried 50% Medium Brown & 50% Weathered Oak? Any other suggestions? Here’s what we’ve tested out so far:

JAN MOYER

You will never get the red out of red oak unless water popped for stain and darker. Over a large area, you WILL see pink.

katiejeane thanked JAN MOYER
  • katiejeane

I know there will always be a little red and I’m fine with that, I’m just looking for suggestions that tone it down. I’ve found Medium Brown has a green undertone that seems to look ok but it’s darker than we’d like so we mixed with Wearhered Oak to lighten. It’s just so hard to tell on a small sample so I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried that combo or has other good suggestions.

• ulisdone

You have large variations in your boards, so any stain lighter than medium brown will make a visually busier floor.

• CLC

I like the med brown/weathered oak 50/50, but try it on a larger section to ensure it isn’t too light. It doesn’t look significantly darker than the special walnut. The special walnut would be perfect without seeing the pink. I think you have to go darker or the pink will show through. Provincial or med brown might be your best bet

• cmbpmb

Would love to see how it all turned out, Katie!!!

Oak & Broad

katiejeane , do you have any pictures of the completed project?

essentials inside

red will always shine thru.