0

Help with Front Beds

Nicki K
Hi, I am hoping to get some help coming up with a design for the garden beds in the front of my house! I am by no means a gardener or know much about it, so I’m looking for plants that are easy to maintain. Also, before we moved in the previous owner removed all plants in the garden so we are starting from scratch. I’ve included a photo of our exterior, I was thinking of doing azaleas, lavender but not sure what else! Thanks for the help

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

You have given us an overview of the house itself, but we need quite a bit more info.

Where are you, such as nearest large city and state or country?

We need closer in photos since we can’t see the space to be planted. If you stand about 15 feet out from the front door and take a series of photos from that one spot, that will help. Start by turning your body to the left so we can see trees or other things that might influence the front garden. Then rotating your body, take a series of several slightly overlapping photos that show all the way across the front of the house and to the right property line. Then go out to the street and take a photo so we can see any additional trees or shrubs between the house and the front of your property.

You also will want to address the weeds shown in the photo. Unless those are brought under control before planting, the garden will again be a mess. How and when best to do that will vary depending on things like whether this is mid summer for you now or if the garden is under 2’ of snow.

• laceyvail

Also, just to mention. Azaleas want acidic soil and some shade. Lavender wants hot, full sun and generally less acidic soil. Not compatible.

Ginkgo Leaf Studio

Hi Nicki, the zone you live in would help in terms of people making suggestions for plants. You may live in an area with acidic soil which WOULD help the azaleas. If the front is shady as it appears in the photo, then boxwood would add some evergreen color and would work well with the architecture of your home.

James

• Nicki K

Hi, I live in Charlotte, NC I believe is 7b and 8a. The front of the house faces east so gets morning sun but is shadier in the summer.

Dig Doug's Designs

some ideas:

Nicki K thanked Dig Doug's Designs
    Yardvaark

And you'll want to remove the shaggy looking, lower hanging branches from the tree. They'll impede the view of your house and cast too much shade on the ground, making it difficult to grow things below ... especially grass.

• Nicki K

Hi Doug, Thanks for sending that, do you mind sending me the names of those plants?

Dig Doug's Designs

In no particular order: Otto Luyken Laurel, Variegated Boxwood, Camellia, Bottlebrush Buckye, Canyon Creek Abelia, White Gumpo Azalea, Hamelin Fountain Grass, Pleached Needlepoint Holly.

• Nicki K

Thank you!!