0

what to do with honey oak railings?

Marie Mosqueda
I have a quad level home with a lot of honey oak railings throughout the first floor. I recently did a kitchen remodel in which I knocked out a wall and placed medium brown oak hardwood flooring throughout the entire first floor. My plan is to paint the windows and door casings and baseboard white to match the new kitchen cabinets. But I’m not sure what to do with these honey oak railings… Do I paint them entirely white like the rest of the trim? Do I stain the top and bottom rails And paint the spindles white? Do I stain the entire railing? Or do I replace the spindles with wrought iron? Below are pictures of remodel in progress. It has been suggested that it might look like a playpen if I paint the spindles and stain the rails...

HELP!

This inspiration photo looks just like your railing and newel post. Every space needs some black, IMO. Love this look. Notice what is black and what is white as it is important to the look.

• Rachel G
    Oh wow, love that black and white combo that Judy posted.
  • Marie Mosqueda
    Judy G....what do you think about stained interior doors (to match the floor) wi5h the white casings around it?
    Flo Mangan
    I was thinking black and white for stairs. I would consider painting interior doors black too. Depends on your overall styling. Some great lighting will make your home sing!
  • Scott G

I just started this project. Stained top and bottom. Painted spindles.

Before Photos:

Almost done:

• zimmer
    I painted mine looks much better
    BeverlyFLADeziner

All white You might consider selecting an alternate spindle. Something more simple.

• Marie Mosqueda
    Still struggling with this....can’t find a stain that will cover the yellow honey oak...it looks either too red or turns green. I keep going back to the idea of black but am afraid it will be too harsh. Cabinets and trim are Sherwin Williams Creamy. Walls are BM Pashmina. Floor is like a walnut color
  • Annette Holbrook(z6b-7a)

Black would work.

BeverlyFLADeziner

NO Black..............too brutal a look.

• ci_lantro

Replace them with railing that has square spindles. White spindles, stained rail.

Stand back and look at the big picture. Those railings don't work with the style directions that you have taken.

• Pa P

Have addressed your problem a few times. . Strip your railings. It will be easier than you think and use a soya based stripping gel..non toxic. Then top coat with polyurethane, see below, no stain.

White and or red oak will likely be underneath that orange railing. The next pic is a before and after of stripping the railing, staining it brown and top coating with polyurethane. These two projects once looked like yours and illustrate separate results. White painted spindles,

• bikertoni
    This post gave me some good advise for my home. Thanks