0

So tired of grey .....

signet_gw(6b)
last modified: February 6, 2019

Well , I am sitting here perusing daylily websites as there is no way to be outdoors today . We are in the midst of a freezing rain event and everything is coated in ice. The sky is a dull light grey and even the trees today are looking grey due to the covering of ice. It is cold and miserable out there so trying to entertain myself by dreaming of all the color of the daylilies .

This is just another grey day and we have had so many of them this fall and winter that I am about ready to scream . I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of full days of sun we have had since August . Wiarton Willie ( our local celeb groundhog) predicted an early spring and I am holding him accountable Ha Ha ! Your Punxatawny Phil predicted differently so who knows . All I know is spring cant get here fast enough. According to this site https://www.calcprofi.com/how-many-days-until-spring.html it is only

Until spring 2019

41 day 9 hours 53 minutes 42 seconds ok 41 ok 40 ok 39 .....Do I sound like I have cabin fever to you ?

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Hey Signet, Same here, freezing rain for the second day, gray, gray, gray......I’ve gotten into some trouble here. I won some auctions on the lily auction and checked out Northern Lights daylilies this year, got in trouble there too. I can’t seem to stop looking for new daylilies. I’m Making plans to move this one, then remove some double divisions, then I’m thinking is that tree going to survive another year, hmmmmm, more space. Yep, I’ve got it bad.....

Sherry

signet_gw(6b) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • signet_gw(6b)

Sherry , in some respects , fortunately for me , many/most sellers on the lily auction have stopped selling daylilies to Canadians ......so I avoid the "Trouble" of which you speak , but if given the opportunity , I would be in there right with you . I dug out a huge area of raspberry bushes this fall prepping it for more daylilies .......now I have to fill it so that is why I am checking out so many daylily websites. I also have plans to close down 2 long gardens at the back of the property that are starved of light from trees having grown so much bigger. I am chomping at the bit to get at those gardens ......but right now all I can do is wait.....and that gets me in trouble. LOL !

• Nancy

I am antsy to get outside. I keep saying I want to downsize, and have about 100 that I want to get rid of. Unfortunately, I have more than that I would like to have, not counting the ones I have been spotting on the alphabet. I am in trouble

signet_gw(6b) thanked Nancy
  • lilykate7a

I kinda hate to comment as we have had glorious 70 degree weather for a week. Daffodils and early blooming shrubs like forsythia are really putting on a show. However, this is a double edged sword in the South as temps will drop 30 degrees tomorrow and hard freezes at night are predicted. I have silly daylilies that think it is spring and are already 10-12 inches tall. Deer are feasting on this new growth and keeping them chomped down. Evidently a whole herd was in one bed as name tags were broken and knocked down And hoof prints were many! We will have this up and down flow of weather for a while which is why flip flops and boots occupy the same space in the mud room!! I heard someone say you can experience all four seasons in one day in the South. So true. So... wishing warmer weather early for you guys. It sounds like it will be better for your pocketbooks too!!!

Kate

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a
  • mantis__oh

Deer repellent is necessary very early if you don't have a fence. Yes, it's just new leaves, but sometimes the deer even dig up plants, and I don't want them to get into any habits for later in the year. Wow--daffodils already in bloom. Definitely a mild climate.

signet_gw(6b) thanked mantis__oh
  • Brad KY 6b

I can relate to your chomping at the bit, Signet. We've not had freezing rain, but lots of just plain rain. Last year was the rainiest year on record for central Ky by a lot, and we are on target so far to do it again. The yard feels like walking on a wet sponge. Just walking thru the grass the mud spats all over the bottom of my pants. So it is grey and overcast. It has been warm this week after last weeks record cold. This weekend, back to the cold

Nancy, I don't see how you will downsize! :)

Kate, sorry to hear about the deer. What zone are you in?

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Julia NY

After a couple of days of glorious warm temps, rain rolled in and now 99.9% of the snow is gone. No freezing rain here but north of us did yesterday and early this morning.A grey day here today too. High winds forecasted for tomorrow and we once again plunge into the 20's. We are keeping watch for 2 foxes which have been around the property the past couple of months. Deer are always around here and I noticed yesterday that one of my daylily markers is missing. Hopefully when it blooms I'll be able to remember what I planted in that spot.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Julia NY
  • Brad KY 6b

Julia, what would foxes do?

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Julia NY

Brad: Dig in the garden looking for food. Good thing about foxes is they eat mice and insects. Very odd for us to see a pair. Rarely we see one but never two and so frequently.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Julia NY
  • lilykate7a

Mantis-no, no fence. With all my acreage, including wooded areas surrounding me, deer are inevitable. They did not bother my lilies until last year. Funny, I have a big wooded area behind my house covered in ground cover vinca but they apparently don’t like it! I did have some new lilies pulled out of the ground in the fall but so far, it is just the new growth that is taking a hit. The deer population has exploded in our area the past few years. Brad, my zone is 7a-b. It was on Houzz at one time. I had not noticed it has been removed.

Kate

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a
  • Brad KY 6b

Kate [and others I notice with missing zones], around the time of the "upgrade" everyone's zone disappeared. Those of us that have it had to put it back in.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Nancy

I keep crossing my fingers that the deer continue to ignore my daylilies. I see tracks all around my daylilies, but so far they have not bothered them much. If they really go for my apples and pears that hit the ground, I see deer in the yard in the middle of the day when fruit is dipe.

Brad, i may find nature helping me downsize this year. Last spring it knocked out a few, that warm/cold spring. This year seems like it might be similar. Of course, most of those I would not have chosen for downsizing.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Nancy
  • lilykate7a

I am sure others have better pictures-this was taken leaning out my car window coming up my drive a couple of days ago. Today I noticed the Ice Follies have really popped open but it was raining today so no window leaning!!

Kate

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a
  • signet_gw(6b)

Lilykate I am soooooooooo jealous !

• lilykate7a

Heather, if you could see all of them now!! After our last two nights of freezing temps, they are all lying on the ground!! But daffs are so resilient and they will stand up again when weather warms up. But seeing these bright yellow blooms makes me happy!!

Kate

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a
  • Brad KY 6b

I've got a number of Snow Drops blooming. They are drooping right now after a night of 17°, but they will bounce right up later. Last year a foot of snow covered them, and when it melted several days later, they were perfect!

We are having a bright sunny but cold day today but all week next week, once again, rain rain rain.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Nancy

Is it NEVER going to stop raining? I say that, but tomorrow it is not supposed to rain. But it was supposed to stop raining today, apparently someone failed to spread the word. But after tomorrow, rain again. Groan.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Nancy
  • Brad KY 6b

Same here Nancy. This time I think you actually got a little more that me.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Here we go again, there is 1/4” of ice on the trees and power lines here. I have an inch or so of frozen slush in my yard. Supposed to have 40 mph winds tonight, I hope our power stays on. What a <_¥&$/= winter : (

Sherry

• Nancy

At least not much of that here, a bit of freezing rain Sunday morning, did not last long thankfully. I have not even kept up with rainfall. Yesterday was close to 3", over 2" the day before, another inch or so today. Been raining most days the last week or more, so the ground is completely saturated already. Ponding happening all over, creeks overflowing. I think the heaviest rains are over.

I do hope you keep your power, Sherry. You are having so much worse than here, I should stop whining, but probably won't. I need spring!

signet_gw(6b) thanked Nancy
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Hope you did not lose your power Sherry. So much freezing rain this year here too. All the rain you folks are getting is snow for me.

Woke up this morning to 16" more added to the already hefty amount we had. It is crazy. I got a call from my DD's BF at 6:45 a.m. He had run out of fuel in the Bobcat and the angle the plow was at did not allow him to open the door. I had to bring him wrenches etc. to take the door off. He had been plowing since about 4:30 a.m.

signet_gw(6b) thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Brad KY 6b

Here's some snow drops

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Julia NY

Kate and Brad: Nice to see some signs of spring. Lucky you.

We've had snow with sleet/freezing rain that put a coating of ice on top of the snow. . Hoping for calmer winds and sunny skies tomorrow..

signet_gw(6b) thanked Julia NY
  • signet_gw(6b)

Julie, did you say sunny skies ? Exactly what is that if I might ask . I think I remember we used to get something like that here but pretty much not since August 2018 . SIGH! Nancy I hear you ! I NEED spring too. Brad , we are desperate ...... please share more pics of spring blooms to keep those of us nowhere near those conditions yet .......help us to keep going .

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Here’s what I have in the yard, electricity stayed on. Hopefully this is gone in a day or so, it’s supposed to get a bit warmer.

sherry

• Brad KY 6b

So far all I have are snow drops. It will probably a while til the daffodils or others.

• lilykate7a

Oh Sherry! I would hate that!! We had a major ice storm in the 1980s and our power was out 21 days. It was a massive ice storm in the South that paralyzed us for weeks.

Signet, these pics are for you!

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a
  • signet_gw(6b)

AH Lilykate . THANK YOU !!!!!!!

• lilykate7a

Even for me these are early. Mild winter plus a week of 70 plus temps helped these to explode!

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a
  • lilykate7a

Oops! Forgot one!

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Lilykate, what is the pretty pink and white blooms?

Sherry

• lilykate7a

Sherry, it is flowering quince (chaenomeles speciosa). Although many do not like this dangerous shrub (yikes, spikes!!) I love to see them in the spring. Someone on the forum-one of the Nancys maybe- has shown a lovely double red bloom. I loved it. I would also like one of the orange. But by the time they stop blooming, I am tunnel vision daylily mode and forget to look for one!!!

Kate

signet_gw(6b) thanked lilykate7a