Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmax123

Could this porch railing installation have been intentional?

Kennon Johnson
5 years ago

We are currently wrapping up a project where our front porch is being redone (new cement, columns, and railing).

I came home yesterday to the unfinished railing (not painted yet) installed and I’m convinced it’s backwards and the “wrong” side is facing outwards. After all, the whole idea is for curb appeal. Hubby thinks it’s perhaps more decorative this way and may have been purposeful, especially if they plan to cap the nail holes.

Any thoughts? Even if it can go either way, which would be more desirable if you had to choose?

Comments (14)

• greg_2015
    5 years ago

Looks fine to me.

Google 'deck railing' and you'll see a lot that are this style.

Did you not see an example of what they were going to do before they did it?

• Kate
    5 years ago

Oh bummer, for and older home I would have preferred to see it reversed. It would look better suited to the style of home from what I can tell.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I would expect a cap board at the top, rather than the bottom.

• Kennon Johnson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I believe my husband saw a example, but I was at work. I do love the style, I just would’ve expected it to be on the other side, especially with the exposed nail holes. I would’ve thought that might be one of the determining factors I’m deciding which side is the “facade”.

I suppose it’s just my personal opinion that it looks a little cleaner and more seamless the other way around. I just wanted to see maybe a general consensus or if there is a preference in style. We are most likely going to keep it the way it is but at least for some time.

Thank you!

• Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

Sorry but I think it is backwards. Unless you have a big porch where you will be sitting on your rocker to admire the railing, the nice finished side should be toward the street for curb appeal.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Intentional? Yes. Attractive? No.

And it’s not appropriate for the house style. Did you discuss the design for this and/or have it drawn beforehand? If so, that’s what should have been built.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Upon further reflection, there’s no point in sugarcoating this: it’s horrible.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I think it looks like deck railing, not front porch railing. For the front, I would expect the spindles to be sandwiched between boards or centered under the top handrail.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/jetties-house-victorian-porch-boston-phvw-vp~1775789

• greg_2015
    5 years ago

If your husband approved the railings before they were installed, then it isn't the installers' fault.

If you don't like it, it will cost you to change it. It's up to you whether you want to pay for that.

I imagine they'll fill the screw holes before painting, but you should confirm if that's the plan before they paint. Easier to do now than later.

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

Looking at it again, what exactly is he trying to do with the block under the end post? That doesn't match the round column at all. Can you post a picture showing the whole porch?

I know that the comments probably sting a bit, and I'm sorry for that.

• J Williams
    5 years ago

To me, it looks somewhat in the range of normal, as it is not finished, how do you know they aren’t filling in nail holes before painting? I would guess the person installing it thought the rails looked more interesting that way, have you talked with them?

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

As far as I can see, that's perfectly normal looking railing, I wouldn't change a thing.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I think once the screw holes are filled in and it gets a finish coat of paint, it will look fine.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler