0

Transplant flowers & plants too early

geebeega

We just moved February 1st and will be listing our home by the end of the month. I have daylilies, irises, amaryllises, and about a half-dozen shrubs that I want to bring to the new yard, but am worried about losing them because it's too early to do this. Got any suggestions as to how I can save & transplant them? We live in Zone 8.

• signet_gw(6b)

Can you leave them where they are and put a clause in your sale of your home that you can come back and get these plants at the earliest date possible? I doubt the new owners will be doing anything with these plants in the mean time as if it is too early to move them for you , it will be too early to remove the plants for them too.possibly.

You would have to make sure to repair the ground where you take them from , i.e. put a little sod down where you took the bush from . Fill in the holes with soil where you removed daylilies, iris etc. Just a thought !

• jstropic (10a)

Geebeega, why is it to early to do this in zone 8?

• dondeldux

As long as your ground isn't frozen and where you want to move them isn't frozen, I don't see why you can't do it now or at your earliest convenience.

• jane__ny

Not too early.

What works the best with shrubs is to make cuts to the roots now, don't dig up. Cut a large circle around the shrub with a spade. Don't move the shrub. When time to move, pull the shrub out, put in a large box or bag and replant as soon as possible. The reason is to cut the roots now, give them a chance to recover in the ground then move. Best to do this a month or longer before you dig it out.

The other plants can all be dug out when you are ready to move. Bulbs can be transplanted now in your zone.

Jane