Your shopping cart is empty.

help me buy new furniture

amunger06
February 7, 2019
I need some ideas on furniture style and placement for my living room dining room combo. I got the go ahead to buy all new. The chairs are the only thing that need to stay. I’m ready for new pictures and mantle deco as well. Thanks for any ideas. 5.000 limit.

Comments (7)

• decoenthusiaste

Pick a color from the chairs for a 3-seat sofa and place them in a "U" in front of the fireplace, all pulled within 18" or less from a coffee table that is centered on the firebox opening, Art hung 5" above the mantel should be no wider than the firebox opening. Have you started an ideabook for a dining room set you like?

• Denise Marchand

You have a beautiful room! In order to help with a furniture layout, we are going to need dimensions of room. Could be just a thumbnail sketch with all measurements. First, do overall dimensions of entire space. Then, start in the corner and go all the way around the room, not missing any measurement. Corner > to window > window > window to right corner > wall from corner to opening > etc. You get the idea. Make sure you indicate all the openings and where they lead. I would love to help and will get you a scaled floor plan and we can take it from there.

Also, from the style of the lounge chairs, it looks like your preference is transitional. Make a Wish List of what you have to have in the room, how many people do you want to seat, will you have a tv, need a childrens area, etc. Any info helps.

If you see something you like very much, start to add pics to your ideabook.

• amunger06
    Dimensions of living and dining area. Any help is appreciated. Pretend the room is a blank slate except the chairs.
  • amunger06
    The room is used very little with no tv. The kids call it the fancy room.
  • Denise Marchand

Here is a floor plan to scale. Obviously, the fireplace wall is the focus of the room when entering. Have it read as one large extended elevation, instead of reducing the visuals to just the fireplace.

1) Place the two lounge chairs on either side of the fireplace. In the right corner have a tall plant and large art behind the lounge chair. On the left side of the fireplace, place art and a floor lamp next to the chair with glass nesting tables in front of the fireplace (for extra surfaces when needed).

2) A sectional centered on the arched window will amp up that fantastic window. Here is a pic with a white fabric sectional, but a toast color mohair or medium lime green silk velvet would be stunning. Since the window is an important architectural element, install very full solid color panels on either side of the window. A long narrow 96x12 console table behind the sofa, on the side wall, can accommodate lamps, art and family photos. The coffee table could be a fabric ottoman with a large tray or wood coffee table.

3) The area rug in the living room is drawn in as large as possible to anchor the sitting area and separate it from the dining area.

4) I love banquettes for dining, as they look lovely and free up great space, especially a walk through area. Looks like you have enough room for a low buffet on the wall across from the dining table. I would like to see a cognac color leather(like) banquette seating and a cremo marble top single pedestal dining table.

5) The window treatment does not have to match the living room window treatment. Once you decide on the furniture layout, we can determine what would look best.

6) Color palette: Using the lounge chairs as a guide, don't try to match any of the colors in the fabric. Coordinate, but not match. That is one of the tricks of a well designed room. It should look like an acquired collection, not off a furniture showroom floor. The next post will be color palettes for you to consider.

NOTE THE SIMPLE WINDOW TREATMENT

GOOD MIX OF ACCESSORIES

GOOD COLOR FOR BANQUETTE AND DINING CHAIRS

NICE MIX OF TEXTURES AND ANIMAL PRINTS

• Denise Marchand

Here are some color palettes. They are from www.design-seeds.com. Be careful, if you love color, it's a rabbit hole!

• Denise Marchand

Dining room with banquette:

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).