0

And Now It's on to the Yellows!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I have mostly pink roses with a few whites here and there (Cole's Settlement, Marie Pavie, Mlle. de Sombreuil, Mme. Joseph Schwartz), I've just received two apricot Evelyn bare roots from Austin Roses and have ordered Purple Plum, Spice and Coquette des Blanches, but I'm thinking one or two not too stridently yellow roses might be a lovely addition. The rabbits ate Charles Darwin practically to the ground but it never really took off even before that), and I wonder if any of you have grown any softer yellow roses that are not too large that have done well in a hot climate.

• titian1 10b Sydney

Ingrid, it is so good to see you enthusiastic again! I hope all your new roses thrive and give you great joy.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Etoile de Lyon
    Baby Souv de Pierre Notting
    Marechal Niel

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I didn’t get photos of them, as they were brand new, but both Alliance Franco-Russe & Isabella Sprunt seemed to enjoy the heat, with big fat blooms of a lovely creamy yellow. AFR‘s blooms had a touch of blush to them with the pale yellow. IS’s were pure creamy yellow.

And another vote for Etoile de Lyon...it loves heat. :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • pat_bamaz7

Hi Ingrid,

Another nod for Etoile de Lyon and Marechal Niel. Or maybe Perle des Jardins. All three are ballers here early in the season, but straighten up once the heat sets in. I don't think you would have that problem with your dry heat and little rainfall. For yellow blends, I think you already grow Rosette Delizy? And you may already grow Mrs. Dudley Cross? If you want to go with a modern, maybe Charlotte or White Licorice? I think the other yellows I grow would be too bright and/or too modern for your liking.

Etoile de Lyon

Marechal Niel

Perle des Jardins

Rosette Delizy

Mrs Dudley Cross

Charlotte

White Licorice

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked pat_bamaz7
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Pat, your yellow roses are just gorgeous! About how tall does your Marechal Niel grow there? :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Marechal Niel is a climber. She's 14 ft here and I've trimmed her back many times. A great rose for Florida.

Charlotte has stayed small here so far but is only a year old.

The Poet's Wife is nice clear yellow not gold but not light butter colored. It is a great bloomer.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

New to me on Palatine's site is Clarence House, similar to White Licorice. But, dog gone it, it's a climber. Said to get as wide as tall, so I think it would be quite beautiful grown as a large shrub, scrambling all over itself. Maybe enough for you and the bunnies. But, knowing you as I think I do, a yellow with pink tinged edges would be your cup of tea.

I would grow all the teas shown above in a heartbeat if only they were hardy enough. Those are the roses that make my heart beat faster.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW
  • pat_bamaz7

Perma n Posies, My MN is only a few years old, but easily 10 ft tall now. Sultry's response will be more useful for you, though, since she's same state and zone.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I'm thrilled to see this thread with all these gorgeous yellow roses! So many great suggestions, too, certainly more than I had thought of on my own. THANK YOU!!! I'm off to make lists and research, but please if you think of more, let me know, with or without pictures.

I've grown several Mrs. Dudley Cross bushes, and I love that rose except for the tendency of its large flowers to droop of its stems. I've had Souvenir de Pierre Notting in a previous home, but it was planted on a dry hill and probably did not look its best.

• Lola Moth

I have a very young Wollerton Old Hall that is a beautiful soft yellow.

I have had Troilus for a while and it never disappoints. It is a warm creamy yellow that blends with everything.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lola Moth
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    Ingrid, when planning my garden this year I did a lot of research to figure out which roses should do well in our heat. Of the yellows I planted, Golden Celebration has been blooming for me all winter in a sunny location. I only planted two mature bushes on Dr Huey rootstock and GC was one. The rest are babies on own roots so I haven’t seen blooms, but Rev d’Or and Perle d’Or are the two other yellows-yellowish roses in my yard that might do well for you.
    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Thank you, Lola and Stephanie, for yet more beautiful roses. Finding them, and especially larger specimens, available now will be the challenge. I am looking for smaller roses due to a lack of available space, although it's the larger ones like Reve d'Or or Marechal Niel that my heart really covets. I'm reluctant to plant roses anywhere where there is no possibility of late afternoon shade which limits me greatly.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

After some days of researching and looking, and looking some more at any number of yellow roses, I decided to forego a yellow rose and instead ordered another Plum Perfect. We planted one of the two bare-root Evelyns I ordered, and what a joke to see two weak and unbalanced individuals laboring to plant one rose. Hitting granite one foot down didn't help, and I'm always amazed at how far our large rock formation extends underground, many yards away from where the surface rocks end. Thankfully there's only the other Evelyn that is bare-root, and the remainder of the roses I've ordered will come in large containers from ARE that I can set on the garden bench, out of the reach of questing bunny mouths. We are going to have the help of a 17-year-old boy who wants to earn money toward his college education who will be helping us on Saturdays, which will be such a relief. He will be planting the remainder of the roses and erecting cages around them. I think I'm going to go with chicken wire rather than the bird netting material, because I'm afraid the rabbits might gnaw through the latter.

• catspat

For those still interested in a yellow rose, I consider hybrid tea 'Lemon Spice' (on its own roots in my garden) my favorite yellow rose and among the top 5 or 10 of all the 100 varieties I have. Its scent (which wafts) is unmatched by any other, it repeat-blooms like crazy, it's a great cutting rose, its particular yellow is soft and pleasing, and it stays a manageable size. And, yes, it tolerates extreme heat very well.

Two photos from last April:

('Etoile de Feu' is the rose on the left)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked catspat
  • catspat

Bird netting is also a terrible and deadly snaring hazard to wonderful ground-birds like towhees, not to mention reptiles of all sorts, and maybe the bunnies, Ingrid, and for those reasons I agree, too, that chicken wire is the better choice.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked catspat
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

catspat, thank you for mentioning those hazards which I didn't consider. I would have been devastated if any creature had been hurt because of something I did. It gave me such a pang to see a coyote earlier today looking for food in the garden who was limping because his left rear leg was injured.

Lemon Spice is so beautiful, just the soft yellow I was looking for. I checked immediately to see if ARE carried it, but afraid not. I'm better off with one less rose, I think, considering our situation. Your garden is so sublimely beautiful that it's almost beyond words. I hope to see many more photos of it; you can never show enough. Your Florence Bowers inspired me to get a plant, but unfortunately it was very small and I planted it out, with lots of heat and drought to follow, and it hasn't grown much. There's hope, though, with tiny new leaves sprouting from the top, and this rainy season should be good for it.

• Lola Moth

Ingrid - You should ask your teenage helper if he knows of any kids who have ferrets to help with the rabbit problem. We also have a rabbit plague at the moment and 12yo boys with ferrets are always flush with money because there is great demand for their services. The rabbits have a quick end instead of slowly dying of starvation when the food runs out, and it takes less than an hour to clear an acre.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Lola, our property is not fenced, but it's not something I could bring myself to do. I know it sounds a bit weird, but we're very fond of all the animals on our property, and we feed the rabbits and squirrels with dog food and bird food, and some of them even have names. We're not overrun with them because we have predators that visit our land and we never interfere with them. The ones that were born close to the house like Beebe, Baby and Buddy, that we interact with the most, seem to have an extra degree of caution, and two rabbits that have now passed on, Tripod and Notch Ear, were with us for years. These animals were here long before us, and I would rather take the trouble of protecting my roses against them than to kill them because their presence is inconvenient. It's amazing how much personality these wild creatures have once you get to know them, and it's been a joy to share our land with them (or perhaps I should say they're sharing their land with us).

• David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a

Hi Rosylady and others, why do you think it is, Yellow I mean. Is it because of "fashion" colors, wedding colors, or the elusive yellow pigmentation, it was in recent times the hues of "coffee/lavender"

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I think its the same trend as in designer clothes, fabrics.......I was in a home decor store the other day - they told me what the "in" color was this year [have already forgotten] but my friend and I commented that who cares what the "in" color is......what if we dont like it? Next year it will be something else. I decorate [and buy roses] to suit my own taste. I think this is a marketing ploy to try to get people to change their decor so they can keep up with the latest fashion thereby spending huge amounts of money to redecorate. Or buy more roses - tho I dont need encouragement to do that!!

Judith

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I so agree, Judith, it is a marketing ploy. I don't follow trends in decor or roses, because I think one's individual taste is much more satisfying and interesting. How I hated seeing all-gray rooms on the decorating forums, dreary beyond belief but everybody wanted them because it was "in". Now it's out and they're stuck with all that stuff that is no longer current. I avoid strong colors in roses because they don't "go" very well with my natural surroundings, but I think it's also partially me because I don't use them indoors either. Yellow and purple together look fantastic and I was hoping to do that until I chickened out. Just as well since the second hole my husband dug hit rock at just a little over one foot deep, and that was about 12 yards away from the rock formation. The roses will have to grow sideways underground, I'm afraid.

• Lola Moth

Ingrid - I have cages and short fences made of chicken wire and they stretch out of shape very easily. I found a more robust 2 inch square wire fencing/trellis that is not only self supporting but is nearly invisible compared to chicken wire. I think it was cheaper as well.

You can barely make out the square wire behind the electric fence from only a few feet away.

The white electric fence is in front of the wire fence which has black posts.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

David...much of the trends in roses are now driven by the bridal/wedding industry. Growing roses for that industry is big business, especially "garden" roses, which are grown in the US as opposed to the traditional florist roses (hyrbid teas).

There are a lot of small farm flower growers that are planting more yellow roses this year. Especially the more pale Austin yellows. They really do photograph beautifully!

I was never into yellows (or apricots) AT ALL until I started visiting this forum. There are so many beautiful shades that aren't that strident yellow you see more often in Hybrid Teas.

There was a house nearby that was vacant, and I was out for a walk one day and saw roses blooming near the front door in a little rose garden. I went to explore it and found a beautiful large plant of "The Pilgrim" in full bloom. I was completely captivated. I came back later and picked some for a bouquet. After that, I bought a grafted plant of Golden Celebration (I couldn't find the Pilgrim locally) and just could not get it to thrive. Who knew: DA roses need water and fertilizer to bloom luxuriantly :) I finally found out what I was doing wrong when I came to this forum.

Anyway, this is a long winded story...haha. But here's some pics of that beautiful Pilgrim...

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

Ingrid....here is a picture of some very simple little cages I made for my small roses when I first planted them. They're made out of hogwire that I cut with wire snips and zip tied together. I'm not sure if the holes are too big, and rabbits could get through. They were very sturdy! They could be made and then lined with chicken wire too.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Home depo sells green pvc coated chicken wire. The green might blend into the rose foliage better.

I used to paint chicken wire black and let my passiflora vines grow on it. The black seemed to make the wire disappear from a short distance away.

Speaking of chickens (O.T. lol)..I found a momma hen today with some early Valentine's babies!

There is a yellow one lol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

sultry, the hen with her babies is adorable. I love it when I see animal pictures of any type on this forum. When I imagine any possible life after death my wish is always to have my animals around me, or for my spirit to be in the mountains and to be able to watch wild animals in the wilderness.

Rosylady, the cages you show are very similar to what I have now, and since they will be permanent I would rather have something like Lola shows in her photos, which seems to blend in very well. It would be less work than chicken wire since it apparently would not need to have posts put in. Will have to do some more research. I'm so grateful for all your suggestions.

Your bouquet is so ethereally beautiful! It makes me long to have a yellow rose all over again because of how beautifully it blends withthe light and dark pink blooms. You are a very cunning enabler!

Alas, The Pilgrim is not a good hot-weather rose. I see that Amazone, which is available from the ARE, is very good in the heat.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10

Ingrid - I sort of lost track but at one time you had ordered or were thinking about ordering Golden Oldie from Grace Rose Farm. It certainly looks beautiful in the photos. Is that one still being considered?

Roselady - that Pilgrim is wonderful. It certainly was happy living in the PNW. Do you ever walk by to see if it is still there?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Antique Rose Emporium also had many soft yellows in their rescue roses and new breeding groups.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Mary, Golden Oldie is not yet available; it's in their "Coming Soon" category, and I wonder when those will be available. The other one I covet is Zalud House Striped.

Sheila, I'm not quire certain what you mean by the ARE's rescue roses and new breeding groups??

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I mean their found roses and their own breeding efforts, Ingrid, like your Cole's Settlement. They have very pretty yellows too in very soft naturalistic colors.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

Ingrid, I just ordered Ley's Perpetual (from RVR). In an old thread I think you said you grew it at one time. How did it do for you?

You're right, those rabbit cages are not the most attractive :) I had to put them up to keep the guys who were helping me from stepping on the really small roses.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

You're right, Sheila, there are several yellows at ARE that I thought would be pretty, but just over the past few days I've come to realize that I cannot buy more roses. My level of weakness now is scary, which I tend to forget when I'm sitting down, but everything that requires movement is such an effort.

Rosylady, I don't remember Ley's Perpetual, which looks absolutely gorgeous on HMF, but I do remember one rose that was a climber which died not long after I got it during an unusually cold winter night. I don't see how you can go wrong trying a rose that is so beautiful. I'd be careful about very cold temperatures at the beginning, but that is one rose that would deserve a little coddling. It's so rarely grown and it would be very interesting to see how it does for you.

In my experience with men in the garden (other than my husband), they pay attention only to what they're doing and to absolutely nothing else, and you were very wise to guard your little roses. The more obvious the barrier the better!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

Ingrid, I completely understand when you talk about weakness. I, too, suffer from fibromyalgia and it makes gardening very, very challenging. I finally had to hire help, and that made a world of difference. To pay for my gardening help, I save money by going tent camping for 10 days every summer with my family :) We've never been to Disneyland or Hawaii! haha

I went on a spree on Saturday morning and bought a bunch of rose from RVR which included Leys Perpetual and Marechal Niel. I plan to grow them together on a tall teepee and intertwine them. It will be an experiment (and a lot of pruning).

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Rosy, my MN from RVRs two years ago was lovely Reve d'Or which is wonderful too. This could be different now.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Rosylady, I'm so sorry that you're also afflicted. It makes not only gardening but life quite a challeng.! I'm going to have a young man helping me on Saturdays and that will be such a relief. I can't do now what I was able to do even six or three months ago, and I wonder if chronic fatigue syndrome has not also cropped up. At any rate, it will be so nice to have someone do all the outside chores that have been sadly neglected. Sheila, if I could have only one climbing rose I think it would be Reve d'Or. Never having seen Marechal Niel except in pictures I can't compare the two, but Daisy's specimen in Crete of MN is outstanding.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

Sheila...I'm glad to hear that RVR has a good MN. Reve d'or is also on my maybe list...I'll probably wind up getting it once I find the right spot for it.

Ingrid...that's great news that you will have a Saturday helper! When I first hired help, I remember watching one guy weed a whole gravel path in 20 minutes...that same path used to take me hours...and then a day of aches and pains the next day.

If you have someone helping, get him to spread a thick layer of mulch! When I planted my new rose garden, I didn't get around to mulching until August. I was irrigating EVERY day and thought the roses were doing great. But once that mulch was down (6 inches thick!), the roses responded incredibly. The foliage was much greener and healthier looking. They looked much more lush. I think the roots like being cool.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Rosylady, in regard to mulch I use leaves and I believe it's a good thing, but unfortunately the rabbits are eating that too. Without the rain that you enjoy to a much greater extent than we do here, the soil here, which is mainly decomposed granite, dries out very quickly and actually repels water. There is often a moist layer of an inch or two at the top and anything below that is completely dry. With years of continued drought the problem has become increasingly serious, which is one reason my garden is in such poor shape, the other of course being rabbits. That's one reason why I'm planting new roses only in areas that have afternoon shade in order to minimize at least one stressor. The soil in those few areas also does not dry out as quickly. I have to say that I'm impressed that roses consent to live in these conditions at all, and am grateful for every bud and bloom. One advantage of critter cages around the roses is that I can fill them with leaves which the bunnies will not be able to eat!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Rosy, my RVR wonderful yellow turned out to be Reve d'Or. My wonderful real MN came from Rosepetals I think.

• K S 8b Seattle

Roses Unlimited also has a Marechal Niel -- I've kept him coddled in a pot in a sheltered spot for the last two years. He is wrapped up now due to our recent snow event. Hopefully he will make it through. His blooms are really extraordinary (shown below with a flower from Lady Emma Hamilton).

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked K S 8b Seattle
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

That Lady Emma bloom is gorgeous!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

MN is so beautiful. I wish Ingrid had one.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I was on the wish list for Rose Petals Nursery for Marechal Niel and just found out they have it in stock. Considering the fact that several rooms in my house are under 3-4 inches of water I will not be thinking about any more roses and also have no room for a climber. Perhaps someone else can avail themselves of this opportunity. I'll e-mail them and tell them I won't be ordering it and they can give it to someone else.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10

Oh Ingrid, I'm so sorry. That sounds horrible and I read lots more rain is supposed to be coming your way. Take care and please let us know how you are faring when you get a chance. Mary

• titian1 10b Sydney

Ingrid! What a disaster. I'm so sorry. The same sort of thing is happening here. Up north around 300,000 cattle were drowned last month in unprecedented rains, and down south, a couple of days ago, there was a dust storm.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Thank you, Mary and Trish. We will be careful for sure. I can't wrap my head around 300,000 cattle drowning, that is beyond horrible. What have we humans done?

• Lisa Adams

Oh Ingrid, I’m so sorry to hear this. You and Cecil certainly don’t need this. I feel so bad about it that I hardly know what to say. I hope you’ve been able to call someone to help minimize the damage immediately. I’m devastated for you two.

I don’t have water in my house yet, but the garage is beginning to flood, and the patio is under at least 3” of water. It’s creeping closer and closer to the sliding glass door. I’m rounding up bags of mulch and potting soil to lay in front of the doorways. I don’t know what else to do. The 11 AM news said you had gotten a full inch more rain than I did here in San Marcos. I’m so sorry:( I can’t imagine how much damage will be done in our county since more rain is on the way. I’m shocked that we are experiencing this. It’s so unusual in So California that nothing is equipped to deal with so much rain in such a short period of time.

Please keep safe, and let me know if you think of anything I can do. ❤️ Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Dear Lisa, I'm very concerned about you too, although I'm hoping that the worst of the rain is over for us. If you have plastic grocery bags try to wedge them under the glass door and then close the door on them and hopefully the plastic will provide a barrier. Get a flat head screwdriver to poke the bags into the seam. We've called a cleaning company because Cecil using the vacuum just wasn't making much of a difference. They're supposed to arrive tonight and hopefully they can take care of this mess. You're right, we're not equipped to handle this much rain. On the bright side, this will certainly fill up our reservoirs.

Please stay safe. You're still recovering from the flu, so take care of yourself.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev

This is one of my own seedlings of R. primula (the incense rose) from 2014. I named it Magda's Rose 2 after my dog Magda. It has pale yellow flowers and is once blooming. The foliage is scented, and it is highly weaponized with very noticeable thorns!!!! Photos from April 2018.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Tessie, That's beautiful. Do the leaves smell like black pepper or something else?

• a1an

Just googling...I really hope my VB looks like the one in this link

https://carrotsandcalendula.co.uk/2018/10/20/six-on-saturday-2/