Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elexia_coleman

Anyone know what species of aloe vera this is?

Elexia Coleman
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    5 years ago

Elexia,

Could we see the whole plant? It could be the real Aloe vera, but it looks to me to be too small to ID with certainty.

Elexia Coleman thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • Elexia Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Does this second photo help at all?

5 years ago

It does, but first, a few questions - does that pot have a drainage hole, because it needs one. Second, that soil should be more porous (it appears to be straight potting soil, but I could be wrong). Yes, it could be the real Aloe vera, but confirmation will likely take a few years (until it flowers - the authentic one has yellow flowers).

• Elexia Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks for letting me know that I have to wait a few years to correctly identify it. and yes, the pot has several drainage holes. I repotted it soon after I bought it, so I wet the soil a bit. However, it is planted in a succulent/cactus soil mix that I bought from the store .

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    5 years ago

Unless you got it privately from some seller, it's most likely the common aloe vera. Mine looks the same as yours.

Elexia Coleman thanked Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

Many of us have discovered that commercial Cactus & Succulent soil still needs additional help to be fast draining (even tho' it claims to be C&S soil). Here we often recommend adding Perlite or Pumice so that the mix is 50/50 each.

I might reconsider that double potting arrangement, nice but rather a tight fit. I'd be concerned that a thorough watering might leave water down below btwn the pots, which could be problematic.

Elexia Coleman thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

ETA - it seems HOUSE is having a problem with us uploading, so I'll show a picture of a flowering Aloe vera later, when it gets fixed.

Elexia, Karen brings up a good point. There are many premade C&S soils which are suitable for jungle cacti (which like a lot of water) but not much else. Yours appears to be one of those that are highly water-retentive. Cutting it with 50% perlite would likely help your plant in the long run (though it appears healthy, mind you).

Matt, I disagree. It's actually much more common to find Aloe vera 'chinensis' (the one with spots and orange flowers) sold as Aloe vera, instead of the real one, in my experience.

Elexia Coleman thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • Elexia Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you guys! I'll consider changing the soil in the future. 'chinensis' is still edible and can be used on the skin correct?

• Elexia Coleman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

additionally, the aloe does have faint white spots on the leaves that are more prominent toward the bottom of the leaf near the root

5 years ago

I don't know. I wouldn't eat any of them. Yes it can be used as a topical salve.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

DItto, I'm w/ Jeff on this, pls do not eat them since you don't know exactly what they are.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    5 years ago

@cactusmcharris I should not have used common because they are both common here. You just have to know what you're looking for lol. I made that mistake in the beginning.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    5 years ago

A common use of several Aloes by the native peoples of South Africa is as a very, very powerful laxative. Best not to eat.

5 years ago

I feel I should post this as well. Finally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8mm1Qmt-Y