0
anomoley

Landscape Design - Remote Help?

anomoley

Hello Houzzers!

I know we're in the middle of winter (currently entirely frozen and under more than a foot of snow where we are), but that hasn't stopped me from mulling over landscaping ideas come spring.

There are a couple of beds in the front of our property that I need to plan out, but I'm having a hard time deciding on what to plant/where (know nothing about gardening, hoping to learn overtime).

My question is this: Can anyone recommend an online/remote landscape designer who has a good idea for design, and who'll have a good grip on the type of plants that'll work in my zone (6b)?

I've consulted with local landscaping companies, and was quoted thousands of dollars for landscape design. That is not what I'm after - it truly is just a couple of beds, and I'd like to tackle this project a bit at a time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations! :)

Dig Doug's Designs

I can help you....I grew up in zone 6b/7a on the east coast.

JAN MOYER

"Landscape design" often includes providing the plantings, trees, low greenery and considers the entire elevation of your home in conjunction with zone appropriate plants, shrubs, trees. Make certain you are stating your goals clearly to any local, along with a budget, even one that can be implemented over time. You'd need to do that with anyone working remotely.

Colwynn Garden Design

Having a designer design a landscape remotely is doable, in fact one of my designers is based on the East Coast and does work on CA landscapes all the time. That said, the advantage of working with someone local is they have a good idea which plants are readily available, you don't want someone to design something and then find the plants are not easily available locally, so make sure the designer is willing to work with you on substituting plants and not have to make this a change request for additional fee.

Pretty damn hard to do a site analysis - a landscape design basic essential - from across the country and sight unseen. Just saying...............

Revolutionary Gardens

I would encourage you to exhaust local design resources before turning to the internet. Independent designers (APLD.org), garden centers with designers on staff, or garden coaches are a great starting point. You can also check with your county extension office, and your state's landscape trade associations. That last resource varies in usefulness by state - NJ has two amazing organizations, for example, Virginia's aren't as robust in comparison - but odds are the person answering the phone or email knows most of the players in the area.

I've had people bring me internet planting plans. Some of the stuff doesn't even exist (internet "designer" specified an 8 ft holly of a cultivar that was only in its second year of commercial production, so 18-24" was the biggest that existed outside of Virginia Tech), some is zone appropriate on paper but dies within a month in Virginia soil, and decisions were made that totally disregarded site conditions. I would only consider a remote designer IF they had previously lived and worked in the landscape biz in your region.

When I move to a new place and want to start landscaping the first thing I do is go to local plant nursery and find out what grows well in my area.You can then start with a list of plants you like that will actually grow. Local nureries are usually a wealth of information including landscape designers in your area who BTW do not all charge 1000s to help. IMO remote design is never something I would choose.