0

Painting concrete walkway

Melanie Rubery

I am wanting to paint our concrete walkway to front porch. We have bluestone on top of the porch and moss rock around the perimeter. I considered bluestone on the walkway but think it may be too busy. Our issue is we have old concrete that meets new concrete post remodel. I tried to paint one color but its seems too blue and the old is absorbing different than the new. last pic is before 1st paint try

• armchairshopper

Your entrance looks wonderful. Your painted sidewalk looks better than you think. Don’t worry about the two shades of painted concrete. Your bluestone has several different shades in it also. It’s all good.

Dig Doug's Designs

Consider staining the concrete:

• K Laurence

Yes, stain, don’t paint.

Painted concrete look bad very quickly you need a concrete stain.

• Melanie Rubery

thank you!

• Melanie Rubery

Can you stain very old concrete?

• Melanie Rubery

Can I put bluestone pavers on top of concrete? If so, would this look too busy?

Dig Doug's Designs

This is approx. what it would look like:

• Melanie Rubery

Thank You! Hmmmm-may not be too busy-need to think on this one. Front of house is 1 level ranch-I'll send a picture. I did just find that SW has a concrete water-based stain with colors to choose from

Revolutionary Gardens

If you've already done a coat of paint on the concrete walk, talk to your local paint shop about what you need to do to get it off. All the paint needs to be gone if you're going to do a stone overlay.

• Melanie Rubery

Thank you! The painter said it was a tinted concrete stain by Sherwin Williams called Colortop (water-based.) Color was Muddy Gray. Leaning towards stone so hopefully I can get more information from the SW on what to do.