0

Railing—paint or stain?

scoutypants
I want to update my honey oak stair railing. I’m thinking black. Do I paint or stain?

• Karen Rose
    No to black, it’s to harsh. Depending on your color scheme in your house, you can try a dark brown stain (Jacobean) or a dark brown paint. My painter painted not stained, love the way it came out. I had them put a coat of clear on top to prevent from chips.
  • Susie .
    If you stain, the existing finish will need to be sanded down. If it’s a true stain, it will need to be sanded to the wood. You may be able to use a gel stain with less sanding. If you paint, it will need to be sanded good and primed with a high adhesive primer before painting. It will be a lot of work either way. It depends on the look you want to achieve. I like white balusters and newels with a dark stained handrail, paired with white risers and treads stained to match the handrail. What do you like?
  • scoutypants
    Thanks ever so much for the feedback. I was originally thinking black, but now I’m sold on the dark brown. I will probably paint.

Karen Rose, what paint did you use?
  • Karen Rose
    My painter used Benjamin Moore Aura paint.
  • scoutypants
    Do you know the paint color name? And the finish?

Thanks ever so much!