0

The state of your roses right now...

Marlorena-z8 England-

Whilst those warm climaters will have tons of blooms I expect, or very soon, those zone 8 or under - what's going on with yours..?.. lost any?.. can't see them?... most of mine are starting to shoot... I shall be feeding in about 3 weeks or so - when will you feed?..

I leave out 'Mme Antoine Mari' because it never really stops, but these are my most forward roses..

..an OP seedling from 'Wild Rover'.. this is my most advanced..

'Armada' a floribunda.. most of mine are like this..

..my first bud !.. 'Marie Nabonnand' a Tea rose..

'Gloire de Ducher' a hybrid perpetual

'Zephirine Drouhin'

Two others, 'Bengal Crimson'/'Miss Lowe's'.. and the Austin 'Anne Boleyn' are also ahead of the game ...

I'd love to see any of yours.... warm climates too... !

• erasmus_gw

Most of mine are looking kind of like your Armada...buds swelling. Some are unfurling a bit of leaf. It is way early for this where I am in zone 7. Temps have been very warm for February. Our average last frost is April 16th. Can't worry about it too much. I did a dormant spray of horticultural oil recently, trying to beat the leafing out. But I always like the early spring...I like the newly emerging stuff. To me there is kind of a hush over the garden just before bloom, a promise of good things to come. I like the other plants before they have gotten big when everything looks sort of manageable.

• pippacovalent

Mine are under snow in zone 7, but last week they were uncovered during a thaw and most had these teeny tiny pink bumps that seem like where growth will bud soon. I plan to do my pruning during our next thaw.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

What a nice topic. Forgive me if some of the pictures are not of roses. They're not very attractive at the moment.

Yesterday's bouquet, Mrs. B.R. Cant and Sdlm

Limonium perezii (sea lavender)

The rains are turning our surroundings green

It's definitely winter!

This is the lighter blue rosemary

But I prefer this richer color!

• Marlorena-z8 England-

Thanks for your comments and photos...

erasmus... I'm surprised you don't expect a frost after mid April.. I can still get them well into May.. you just never know here...

pippacovalent... I did wonder if quite a few people were still under snow... I hope it clears away soon for you..

Ingrid... what a surprise to see some greenery along your road there near your cypresses... I don't think I've seen that before in your photos... I hope you get some more rain very soon... I just had a look at San Diego and they're going to get quite a bit... thanks for posting these, I can see quite a few pinky blooms here and there... I also like a darker rosemary... mine is light coloured and I'm thinking of looking for another type..

• Krista_5NY

The snow is melting, but roses are still in their winter sleep.

Marlorena, the green shoots must be so refreshing this time of year; I wouldn't have known that roses could leaf out so early, as far north as you are…

Ingrid, it's good to see green in your area. I love CA in winter time, the freshness of the plants, both inland and near the ocean.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Marlorena, those are weeds along the lower part of our driveway, and they'll be cut down as soon as we have warmer and drier weather, fire danger don't you know. I imagine your garden is somewhat protected for you to already have little rose leaflets. I just now noticed purple flowers lower down, too.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Just over a week ago I could have posted pics of roses starting to push new growth.

Now everything is buried under snow. Looks like we are heading into a wet period (snow or rain) so in a couple of weeks there should be something to post.

Ingrid I thought your pictures were quite lovely. They were a nice surprise on this snowy morning!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Ingrid, 11 out of 13 pots of Limonium here are starting to grow. Obviously, they look less natural in pots, but my open ground plants I seeded in never made it through two winters here.

These pots are in my sheltered alcove above freezing temps.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Yay, Sheila, that is so cool. Good for you for persisting. Mine were savaged by the wabbits but they came back beautifully once it turned cool and wet, and I can enjoy them for a while now. I hope yours will bloom this year!