0

How to tone down orange?

Steamchef
Recently bought a nice little house in southern NM but a major issue is the overpowering orange effect created by the combination of oak (I think) cabinets and orange ceramic Saltillo lookalike floor tile. Hoping to resolve this issue with wall paint alone. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

• lvl133

what is paint color now? warm will go best, but I guess it's warm now...

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Photo?

One common suggestion is to change the lighting. The warmth of the bulbs can make a major difference.

• apple_pie_order

Very large area rugs will give you new colors to work with.

• nosoccermom

Check out www.kylieminteriors.com on how to tone down orange wood. I'd go with a warm white. Stay away from oppostte colors, such as green, sage...

Flo Mangan
    Please post photos of the rooms. Sage green generally is a good tone to reduce the impact of oak and orange.
  • Lisa SW
    Not a pro, but I spent two decades surrounded by oak (sans orange floors) so I’ll share lessons learned. While yellowy greens don’t work, sage green is a perfect compliment to oak. Nice to see the color making a comeback, even if I did recently paint my oak. I found some tans worked, but needed to avoid those with olivey/khaki undertones. Creams and warm whites are good as long they don’t read too yellow or fleshy. The lighting and area rug advice is also good. You can’t really disguise the orange tones, so try to compliment them. Large sample boards moved around and at different times of day is important. Enjoy your new home!
  • chispa

Personally I hate the look of saltillo tile (or look alike) and I took out a few thousand square feet of it in my current house. It covered floors, patio, bathrooms (floors, counters, backsplash, walls and showers). It is a very "bossy" look and color and will drive any decor changes you want to make. We chose to remove it as we remodeled the rooms over the last 9 years. We bought the house knowing we had the budget to make those changes.

I would decide if you are keeping it or changing it. This will affect what changes you make to other areas while you save up for the project.

Flo Mangan
    Here are some ideas. You can do light walls too and add punches of cobalt blue.
    Flo Mangan
    Houzz system won’t load photos right. Bbl
    BeverlyFLADeziner

paint the cabinets

• Steamchef
    Thank you, everyone. Here is a photo.
    Flo Mangan
    I like your cobalt glasses. Might try painting island that cobalt.
    Flo Mangan
    Here is example even though more turquoise color.
  • nosoccermom

I'd also change the grout color to a lighter one, would get different stools or chairs, and add some accessories in your favorite color (as shown above). Oh, and I'd change that lone boob light.

• artistsharonva

The wall color will not change but so much in this situation. The color currently works well with everything due it's warm hue floor.

The floor are pinky orange. Change those to remove the pinky orange. Until that's possible some rugs.