0

Kitchen Island - need help!

Mo Bean
last modified: February 10, 2019

I have new cabinets and new countertops, but not on the island. The contractor kept increasing the amount, so I decided to wait in the island top. Now I’m not sure what to do. Do I match the counters or do butcher block or concrete? I could use some advice. Thanks

• beautifulquebec

Any pictures?

• Mo Bean

I’m not sure why they didn’t attach. I’ll try again. Thanks

• beautifulquebec

What does your new counter top look like? Color, materiel?

• felizlady
    Post pictures of the rest of the kitchen.
  • Mo Bean

Here are pics of my quartz countertop.

• Mo Bean

Here’s a close up.

• bikertoni
    How about picking up a solid color from the other counter for the island. Measure it allowing 1.5 - 2” overhang all the way around. With those measurements see if anyone as a remnant to fit the island. You can often find them at reduced price. Also give the store measurements and color you are interested in and ask them to call if they get anything. Do this at a few stores. If you are willing to wait it may pay off. All the best
  • Mo Bean

thanks. I keep trying to post pictures but it doesn’t want to work.

• Angel 18432

Because you have what looks like very simple counters and back splash, you could go something which is "busy " to be the star of the kitchen.

• Mo Bean

That’s a good idea. Like what? I have no creative genes.

• Mo Bean

IMG_1793.JPG

• Angel 18432

Trying to find something to show you. It would be best to go to the stone place and see

It actually might be a good thing that you waited, now you have a chance

to do something really special. Not sure if this will look right in your room, but just an idea of what to look for.

Now I see it really big, I see green in it. But you get the idea.

• itsme72
    What countertops do you have?
  • Angel 18432

A couple of more pictures. I'm not saying get one of these as the color may not

work, but something beautiful like these.

• Mo Bean

Here’s a closeup if my countertop. Finally!

• Mo Bean

Never mind. It didn’t work.

• Mo Bean

Thank you for the pictures And going through the trouble to send them! It helps to see samples.

• felizlady
    I would suggest that your island should have the same material in the same color as your counters. IF you decide to do granite or something special for the island, consider ONLY material which has the main color of your quartz in it. If the island top does not match the color of the quartz, it will always look wrong. You have two materials already: the counters and the backsplash, and they don’t match exactly in the photo. Don’t add a third color.
  • barncatz

I really think we need more photos. And the color of your photo looks awfully yellowed in one and dark in the first. What's your quartz name?

Sorry you're having trouble posting. If you start a comment, choose the Photo icon at the bottom. That will bring up a source menu for where your photo is located in your files, or you can choose camera and take a photo. If you choose Files, it should show you your images, click on one or choose Open if that's required.

Good luck. From what I can see, your kitchen is very attractive so far.

• Mo Bean

i appreciate all the help. I have been trying all day to upload the pictures and it will not work. I’ll keep trying.

Rococo & Taupe, Inc.

Add the WOW with the material on the island... I think since the quartz and the backsplash is so plain a patterned granite or marble would be a great choice.

• Mo Bean

Thank you Rococo & Taupe!

• Mo Bean

Wow!, I can’t believe that it finally worked! That’s my quartz countertop. It’s white with black markings. My backsplash is white herringbone pattern.

Flo Mangan
    It’s not you. Houzz dud another update and posting photos has been darn near impossible since. Pretty much drives us crazy. I would definitely find a drop dead gorgeous granite for your island. Your cabinets are dark on the island so you can go lighter and brighter. Check out Antica Bianco. There are many great choices. I will try to post some.
    Flo Mangan
    Examples
  • Mo Bean

Hank you, Flo Manganese. I do like that!

Flo Mangan
    Lol. Mangan. Glad you like but just one. There are many others. Go look at stone yards. Just make sure you select one with around at least 25% of the color your cream. Avoid real white.
  • Marble Luxury

The Black Sahara Marble is a good choice for countertops

https://www.marble-luxury.com/sahara-black-marble/