0
swiss_chard_fanatic

The screw heads are sticking out. What to do before painting?

swiss_chard_fanatic
last modified: February 10, 2019

We just had custom kitchen cabinets made and installed and we are happy with them so far. On the top insides of the cabinets, there are structural horizontal rails holding the cabinets to the wall studs. All of these rails have screw heads sticking out by 1/8th inch and we tried to screw them tighter to be at least flush, if not counter-sunk, but--they--will--not--go--any--further. Frustrating.

So we are kinda screwed here. What can we do to cover the screw heads before painting such that the paint does not crack or experience issues?

I am worried about using caulk because my experience using caulk showed me that it shrinks, cracks, and shrivels up even when not exposed to water, sunlight or elements. And if it does that with paint on top, it will cause the paint to crack.

We will be using an alkyd paint (INSL-X Cabinet Coat) and a compatible primer, most likely oil-based Killz.

What should we do?