0

Tile entire wall alongside shower, or leave as drywall?

Terry S.
last modified: February 10, 2019

Renovating a 2nd floor bath in a timber frame home with a steep sloped beamed ceiling ("before" pics and link to my project below). Shower is being widened, with a 48" knee wall wrapping around, and toilet moved over a few inches to accommodate. New shower will be white hand-mold type subway tile. As a result of wider tiled shower area, there will be less wall-space along that wall behind toilet, which previously had tile up to chair-rail height.

Wondering if it would look better if I now just tile the entire wall, up to the beam, in the same tile as shower, or end tile at shower and leave rest of wall as just painted drywall all the way to floor behind toilet? I think only one or the other would look good. If I made the tile chair-rail height behind toilet as it was originally, only a small triangle of painted drywall would be left which I think would look odd. Cost is not the issue since it is a small wall, more of aesthetics, and flexibility to change paint color vs. durability/cleanliness of having tile behind toilet area (I've never lived in a house that did not have tile on all walls of bathroom at chair-rail height). Note the shiplap and beamed ceiling with roof window will stay as is, in same paint color.

So, opinions appreciated as to:

1) tile entire wall

2) leave entire wall outside of new shower area as drywall

3) tile up to chair-rail height behind toilet

Thanks in advance.

Here's myproject page:

https://www.houzz.com/projects/5587568

London Staging and Design, LLC

I would tile entire wall. It is practical and look best. Best wishes!

Terry S. thanked London Staging and Design, LLC
  • Terry S.

Thank you London Staging, I'm leaning in that direction now. If tiling the entire wall, I'm hoping the wood beams along edges would break it up and not make it look too clinical or boring, just wanted to be sure.

• Terry S.

A better view of the tile that will go in, but planning on using a light warm gray grout:

London Staging and Design, LLC

Lovely, Yes it will be a good contrast the white and wood beams! Best wishes!