0

Help me choose floors and cabinets

kevin D
Recently removed wall between the kitchen and living room leaving a gap in the floor where the wall used to be. I will most likely be redoing both floors all the same color. Consequently, I'm assuming the cabinets will need to be painted. Countertops are a blackish color and less than a year old so they won't be changing. Walls are a light gray. Please offer up floor and cabinet suggestions for this all to look right, I'm not very good at stuff like this

Oak & Broad

Maybe talk to your contractor about taking the wood flooring through the kitchen.

• kevin D
    I am doing all the work myself. I don't really like the laminate floor so I want to replace it all at once
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Since it's a smaller space I'd run the same flooring throughout. If you're replacing it all I suggest either going for real hardwood or if you're on a budget go for LVP. Laminate is not a good choice around moisture so I don't recommend it for bathrooms or kitchens.

Painting cabinets can be expensive and DIYing it takes a lot of work. They look fine so if you found a flooring that complimented them I don't think they need to change. If you do paint them, stick to lighter colors as the darker countertop could make the space very dark.

• celerygirl

Following.

• SJ McCarthy

Sina makes an excellent point. A DIY cabinet painting can take weeks and weeks of work/curing. This would be the last thing I would want to tackle.

To get the same flooring installed in this space is going to be tricky without painting the cabinets, but it can be done. You will demolish the tile and remove the laminate. You will patch the subfloor as well as get it all flat and happy while you are there. Once you have gotten to that point, you can then decide how this is going to work.

Personally I would like to see a super pale, wide plank vinyl product (I would love to see European Oak looking floors). So long as you get the colour in the flooring to compliment the colour in the cabinets (brownish orange) then you should be fine.

Unless you want to redo the entire kitchen (including new counters) then I would ignore the counter top colour. It is dark with very few undertones. That's a good thing. The only thing you want to worry about would the undertones of the cabinets. Try to stay as light as possible within the same colour family as the cabinets. That way you can keep everything...including the cabinet colour.

• mark_rachel

I bet that really made a huge difference! A few things... I would not paint the cabinets. I would go with the same flooring throughout. Go with a light hardwood or an LVT if you are on a budget. I would also change out your fan & light in your kitchen. Your kitchen is very warm & your wall paint is cool. I would warm up the walls & go with a griege color, but still keep it light. Edgecomb Gray might be nice.