0

Coffee Grounds - when, how much, and why?

Sylvia Wendel

I’ve seen comments on the forum about using coffee grounds for rose mulch. I’d like to try this.

when should it be applied and how often?

how much mulch for an average-sized plant? What about smaller ones (I’m thinking about my mini-floras) that are in pots?

I’m not really set up for composting, but coffee grounds are something we have lots of — every day.

Thanks,

Sylvia

• vaporvac

I've never read of an upper limit and just use them as much. I think Christopher added it by the bucketfuls when he was first amending his soil, but just on the top. I've done it for years along with tea and it eventually composts down. In your pots just be sure not to cover the cane. I only used on indoor potted plants so can't advise from experience with potted roses.

Sylvia Wendel thanked vaporvac
  • oldrosarian

It is very important that you give them expensive gourmet coffee when they wake up. Also middle of the afternoon if they have had a bad day with the weather. If you see the leaves drooping, quickly give them more coffee. Seriously. Coffee is okay for roses but it is on the acid side and can burn tender new canes coming up. An easy way is to put one cup of grounds mixed with one gallon of water. Just pour is around the base.

Sylvia Wendel thanked oldrosarian
  • phyllissteen

Can be put to better use on your acid loving plants...camellias, azaleas, gardenias, citrus, etc.

Sylvia Wendel thanked phyllissteen
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I use it on roses, acid lovers and in my compost bins. It seems to attract lots of earthworms.

Sylvia Wendel thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Same here. It provides nitrogen, so I use it when my plants need a little boost. It works best scratched into the drip line of the plant, but sometimes I just dump it on the ground between plants. And yes, it sure is loved by the earthworms! :-)

Sylvia Wendel thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • pippacovalent

This is great information...we are avid coffee drinkers and I've only added it to my composter I didn't t know I could add it to the soil and since my soil is alkaline overall I'm sure it would help. I like the idea of mixing with water first.

Sylvia Wendel thanked pippacovalent
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

My husband picks up Starbucks grounds for me and they are happy to give them away so they are not wasted. If left sitting around for a while, the filters are already composted so they don't have to be removed. I flung 26 bags around this Spring.

Sylvia Wendel thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Thanks, everyone. I do have a fledgling lemon tree and some azaleas, so grounds will go there too.

we have alkaline soil all over SoCal, so I am encouraged.

since my garden is so much smaller than it used to be, I think we will have enough grounds. At the old place, yes, it would have taken a Starbucks-loaf.

oldcanadian, you are a riot. I like vanilla coffee- will it turn my red roses white? The world wonders.☕️

• Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Load, not loaf.

Sylvia Wendel thanked Sylvia Weiser Wendel
  • vaporvac

How did you get that emoji to post?

Sylvia Wendel thanked vaporvac
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Oh no, not emojis here too.

• vaporvac

!! Oh! LOL! I don't think they're dancing here! But I do like the little coffee cup. Winky face

Sylvia Wendel thanked vaporvac
  • Sylvia Wendel

Ok, I’ll drop the emojis. Over on garden.org, they are very popular.

vaporvac, all I did was click on the emoji button on my iPad’s virtual keyboard, and that brought up all of them. Then just click on the one you want.

more rain coming tomorrow - wettest winter in years.

sw

• vaporvac

I really liked your Coffee one! I've tried that on my Samsung but it just doesn't work. Oh well. I'll continue with my keyboard :-). LOL!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Thank you Sylvia.