0

unhappy with tile choice

jess_sterr
Tiled backsplash behind stove. all of the walls are painted alabaster by SW. the tile is too bright up against the warm walls. Should I paint that whole wall a bright white? It would kill the warmth but I don’t like the clash between tile and wall. Would Reglazing the tile even be worth it? Open to any suggestions!

Beth H. :

I think the color is fine. You should have just done the entire wall in that tile.

I would paint the walls a diff color to bring in a little contrast. do you have a picture of the entire space?

what do you think about doing that wall in a darker charcoal tone?

• jess_sterr
    My reasoning for the tile was to not compete with the brick. Was it the best choice? Idk! Lol here is the kitchen space pre tile backsplash
  • jess_sterr
    I regret the tile ♀️
    Beth H. :

really? why? ( i might have done cement tile or CleTile Zellige. you still can!)

ok, better. I like it. nice looking kitchen.

go get more white tile and do that entire wall! go over the doorway and down by the cabs. Then I'd paint the door trim in Urbane Bronze.

• jess_sterr
    Thank you we were going to do all of it tiled but we decided to stop there and see if we liked it. Just need to rip off bullnose and keep going with tile. The stark white does not bother you? I like the idea of the bronze trim
    Beth H. :

tried to photoshop the tiles and paint the door trim. I think if you added the wood trim on your cabinets, to the lower part of your vent hood, it would break up all that white and give some depth

and maybe throw in 2 wood shelves to the right of the hood

• jess_sterr
    Thank you Beth that does bring back some warmth
    Beth H. :

is this better? you could place them how you like. I'd just keep a few plants on there and maybe a small book or knick knack. But I like the wood on the vent hood if you're keeping the white tile.

you could also do black door trim to match your windows and cabinets.

do you have a full picture of that door w/the finished floor tile and subway tile? I'll photo shop the trim

also, for the brick wall, have you thought about doing some industrial style sconces over your shelving? or if you did an L shelf from the stove wall over to the brick wall and put sconce above that. somewhat like they've done here

L shelf w/sconce lighting

(and I probably would have opted to do the cement tile for your wall instead of the white subway. love the black/white tile

• jess_sterr
    The shelves bring balance we are waiting to get everything else done in the house and we will get shelves made. A sconce would like nice above the shelves. I feel like we’ve made every design mistake possible I’m tired of making executive decision lol we are almost done
    Beth H. :

bring in a cool black runner

Beth H. :

you've done a pretty good job. I like it.

if you're doing more shelving, think about cutting some wood trim (I like it in a walnut or at least a walnut shade) and lining the inside of your window with it.

you could also do pieces of your countertop if you have any leftover. Or, just do paintable wood and paint it black or the dark bronze color (like the trim around your door).

at the very least, do the window sill portion w/the wood or the quartz. if it's thin enough it shouldn't interfere with the window operation.

I've done the wood inset trim on my own windows.

• jess_sterr
    Love all of these ideas. I have been on the hunt for a warm kilim runner to warm up the space. The windows are already a dark bronze almost black aluminum frame. Shelves and dark trim should make a good enough difference thank you!
  • barncatz

jess_sterr, love your kitchen. Your tile choice is not too cold, especially not with your cabinets and counter. And see the light washed side of your hood - that's not a clash at all! With the feel of this kitchen, so clean yet warm, I would do the whole wall. The subtle texture will add the warmth you lose with the paint tone.

I like Beth's wood trim on the hood but the shelves she suggests would be too much for me. I like her sconce idea but wouldn't fret about it. I love the wood tone you picked for your shelves, by the way, much better than if you'd gone dark.

This is one of my favorite kitchens on Houzz I've seen. Go take a well earned nap and feel better!

• jess_sterr
    Barncatz thank you for the reassurance because I feel like I’m failing! So to make sure I got that right...you would tile the whole wall? Also would you paint the hood to match the tile? This kitchen was supposed to be many things...warm wood floors, quartz countertop backsplash...most of my original ideas couldn’t happen because of budget so I second guess all of my other options
  • jess_sterr
    Also I must add we didn’t tile the whole wall so that we could have drywall Incase we wanted to hang up a piece of art of a sunburst clock above door. Would you still suggest tiling whole wall?
  • daisychain01

Made every design mistake? Not at all! Your kitchen is great and will probably be looked at by those who are tiring of current trends as a new direction to follow. I agree with tiling the whole wall. I can detect the difference in tile vs wall colour, but it's not a problem.

• barncatz

I don't think you need to tile the whole wall if you find your eye has adjusted and isn't hating the slight contrast. This might be one of those decisions you should table and return to because the answer really lies in your own taste. Which you can trust.

PS. You can hang things on tile walls, including using those specific picture hanging strips that hold better than the hook hangers.

• cpartist

I agree with Beth. I'd tile the whole wall. Otherwise it's too chopped up. I also like bringing in the wood tones around the door, etc.

• jess_sterr
    Guys I will take everything you said into consideration I greatly appreciate every piece of advice!! Who knows I may even tear out the tile if I just cannot stand to look at it!! Subway tile in mcm kitchen no. No. Live and learn.
  • barncatz

jess_sterr, one last thought. I started out thinking you should tile the whole wall because the contrast bugged you but since it doesn't bug me, I thought you could live with it as is for awhile. So, either way. Helpful, lol.

But I came back because I thought "if Jess doesn't like the tile and/or tile tone now, she might really hate it covering the whole wall". Reading your latest comment underscores that.

• ccwatters

I like that your kitchen has its own style and isn't like every white kitchen out there! Love the mock-ups that Beth did, my favorite is the one with the burgundy/black runner (first pic of the bunch, sconces too)....brings out the best of all your kitchen. That traditional rug combined with your industrial elements makes it interesting and beautiful....and creates warmth both literally and visually.

• jess_sterr
    The rug will really bring in character and warmth I have been on the hunt!! Thank you for the nice compliments

Barncatz thank you for being thoughtful I am not in love with the tile I was talked into it by a contractor friend I’m going to live with the tile when I have extra cash I may look into doing something different with the tile if the following suggestions don’t do it for me lol I am either going to tile whole wall or match will cooler white paint color so it looks seamless and add some art work.