0

Yes or no to bookshelves on the sides of my tv stand?

kq346

I have just started decorating our finished basement, I would love to have built ins on this wall but that will have to wit! In the meantime should I put wall decor on the empty wall next to the tv stand or could I put bookshelves? I would love to have some place for picture frames and nick knacks. I'm planning to decorate with grays and navy's the television stand is white and black. Any suggestions?? I've attached pictures of the wall and the sectional. Thanks for your help!!

• arcy_gw

Do you have shelves picked out? If you use tall book case type on either side I think your TV would be dwarfed. Can you get two that are similar to the TV stand? That would give you display/storage and leave room for pictures.

• teamaltese
    Your tv stand is way too small. It should be at least 12 inches wider than the tv.
    kq346 thanked teamaltese
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Get a wall unit that can house the TV and provide open shelving and closed drawers/cabinets.

Something like this:

Parker House Hartford 48-72" Expandable Entertainment Wall, Vintage White · More Info

Check out Besta from Ikea it is affordable and can be configured to look custom. BTW your TV stand is too high and not wide enough. These are just some ideas of how versatile the pieces are.

kq346 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • kq346

I don't have shelves picked out..I had a smaller tv and my sister gave me this larger one so I'm trying to make the current stand work for now...my daughter and her friends are the only ones that spend time there right now. I like the IKEA shelf idea. If I didn't go to the ceiling do you think I could make it look ok?

The Wiese Company

I would not suggest bookcases on either side, the whole moment will feel like it is too heavy. One bookcase that mimics the dark mullions in the tv stand would be nice with a piece of art on the other with a basket of blankets on the floor under it to further ground the art.

kq346 thanked The Wiese Company
  • decoenthusiaste

Keep this chart handy when shopping for more furniture and re-installing TV.

kq346 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • kq346

The Weiss Co. ..are you saying to use a black shelf on one side or the other? The height of the television or higher?

• dyliane

no. you need a wayyyyy longer console tv

• kq346

I found somewhere else I can use that table. I'd like to add navy to the room ( some of the art and drapes have navy.). The widest part of the television is 47 inches..this table is 60" will that work? Do you like one better then the other?

Nandina Home & Design

We suggest trying a longer TV console instead of bookshelves or perhaps something like this:

kq346 thanked Nandina Home & Design