0

help optimize storage in 6 wide x 3 deep space in kitchen

girl_wonder

We're remodeling the kitchen and will have a space that is 6' wide by 38" deep that I want to optimize for storage. (It's currently the kitchen eating nook, which will swap places with the current W/D closet so we can look at our backyard when we eat).

I want to put a stacking W/D on the left side of this area. So that leaves an area about 3' wide by 3' deep. My thought is to have the cabinetmaker trick this out. So maybe a 12" wide tall cabinet for tall step-ladder, ironing board and cubbies above for laundry supplies. (broom+supplies will go in 6" deep endcap next to fridge). On the right of this nook, I'll have a space that 2' wide by 3' deep to use for a pantry. I'm thinking pull-out pantry shelves could be the answer but rev-a-shelf doesn't making anything that deep. Maybe these dimensions are too odd or...maybe I'll be defying the laws of physics, expecting a pullout that long to be stable. Anyone have some thoughts? I'm meeting w/ a cabinetmaker tomorrow but thought if the wise people here have ideas, I could start with those. Thanks!

Pull out pantries are the perfect answer see what your cabinet maker can do.

girl_wonder thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Anne Duke
    Definitely look into having a cabinet maker do pull outs. Just figure out ahead of time how tall you’ll want each pullout space to be. I have one capable of stacking two cans, others were made for the typically tallest item for storage, ie., cereal box or flour container, etc...
    girl_wonder thanked Anne Duke
  • Lyndee Lee
    There are mechanisms available for all sorts of situations but they may not be listed as pantries. Given the width and depth, you might find a roll out system. As noted above, talk to a cabinet maker and ask for suggestions. The deep rollout systems I have seen are open on one or both sides as you would access the stored items from the side. Search for pictures of under stair storage as most stair cabinets are 36 deep
    girl_wonder thanked Lyndee Lee
  • girl_wonder

Thanks everyone. Yes you are all right. The cabinet guy was undaunted by the 3 foot deep pullouts. He said they aren't common at places like rev-a-shelf but he makes them all the time and said each shelf can handle 125 pounds! Thanks Anne for the suggestion of thinking through what will be stored in each shelf. We're not at the point (yet) but that's great advice. Thanks everyone again!