0

What's the maximum length for kitchen island?

Chuck Sheketoff

Not sure if we should build a 16' island.

London Staging and Design, LLC

Depends on the kitchen. Most clients have a 10ft island and I personally like to entertain and would have an island as large as would accomodate the kitchen space! Great for buffets too! Best wishes!

• artistsharonva

That's huge! There will be a countertop seam. please post floorplan to get more relevant answers.

• dan1888

If you're thinking of including seating you may want to curve or facet one side.

London Staging and Design, LLC

Many large luxury homes have large kitchens and islands. They do exist and are lovely! Best wishes!

• ldecor54

I would want it to seamless so I’d base the size on the material being used

The Cook's Kitchen

I’ve done a 16’ island with waterfall. It took 3 slabs of quartzite to do it. 30K just for the stone. 140K project.

Here’s a rendering. They didn’t want actual photos taken.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

I have a 17' island in my second house. It was not my doing, but it had to be done due to the kitchen layout (it's a very old townhouse that was gutted and re-configured). I have only two walls- one long 17' and one short 9' and the landing strip island. These pictures are from the real estate brochure. I am redoing the kitchen a bit, though the basics will remain the same. I am not a fan of the shiny wood or the chandelier, for example. It can be done. I would avoid it if possible though. This island looks like the counter at a diner in my opinion. I am not much into islands in general though.

• Fori

I have a pretty long island but it's because it serves as half the kitchen. Sort of like Rita's, it's half of the galley.

• Kirsten Eloise
    I’d recommend walking around stores with a wide variety of kitchen set ups (eg ikea) to find what works best for you. We originally thought we wanted a 4’ deep island, but actually found that 3.5’ felt better for our needs. Kitchens should be tailored to use IMO.
  • ccwatters

Just my personal opinion but although it could be as beautiful as all the pics.... I would hate cleaning that! My island is 9.5' (seating at one end only) and that is plenty big when it comes to cleaning up after the day to day use of it.

• Kristin S

I think Fori hit the nail on the head - it works when there is only kitchen on one side, so it effectively becomes half of a galley kitchen, so it's not a barrier between sides of the kitchen.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Split it into two

London Staging and Design, LLC

Nice kitchen Rita and photos

I agree it would only work if there were no appliances on the other side of the island because if there are it will be like running a marathon to make dinner.