0
roseseek

Romance in the Rose Garden for Valentine's Day

roseseek

ROMANCE IN THE GARDEN - A ROSY VALENTINE'S DAY PARTY Thurs. Feb. 14!! The next meeting of the Santa Barbara Rose Society is on Thursday, February 14, 2019 from 7 – 9 pm at Trinity Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, 909 N La Cumbre Road at Foothill in Santa Barbara. Meetings are FREE. We invite everyone to come at 7 pm to socialize, enjoy the Little Rose Show at 7:15 and sample our refreshments before the program begins at 7:30.

Our presentation this month is “Romance in the Garden - a Rosy Valentine’s Day party!” a free program featuring well-known local rose hybridizer Kim Rupert. In the Valentine’s Day party spirit we’ll also have cookies, treats, faux rose “champagne,” plus a vase exchange – bring any vases you’d like to exchange for new ones! And of course “Bring your Valentine.”

Kim Rupert, the hybridizer of well-loved roses like ‘Annie Laurie McDowell,’ ‘Lauren’ and ‘Lynnie’ (photo) will help us understand how new roses are created through the romance between the male pollen of one rose and the female pistil of another – via bees or the hybridizer’s tiny paint brush - to create seeds of brand new roses that hopefully offer the best features of both parents.

Guests are welcome! If you grow roses, please bring your cut roses to show off and any rose plants you would like to share. We also welcome goodies for our refreshments table and items for our fun raffle.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    Oh, I wish I can be there. Sounds like you have your hands full on Valentine's day . Happy Valentine's day to you , Kim !!
    jin
    roseseek thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • vaporvac

I know ! wouldn't it be great to have lots of money and time to travel to all these great shows and open houses and pruning days! I'm going to check and see if I can join them in Columbus for their spring prune, but they normally do it in the Fall for some reason. This one sounds like so much fun, Kim!

roseseek thanked vaporvac
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Sounds like a fun time! Wish I could be there. I am sure it will be informative and interesting especially with Kim's great sense of humor.

roseseek thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Now you sure you quoted the promotional materials right? I'd be likely to list it as "Kim Rupert, well-loved hybridizer of roses like ALM". At least in these parts he is well-loved! We'd love to hear what you have to say but we've already "met" you here. Just hearing Kim talk about the birds and the bees would be worth the price of admission already...we dare you to keep a straight face!

Cynthia

roseseek thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Oh how I wish I could go too! Sounds like the perfect way to spend Valentines Day to me! :-)

roseseek thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    Lol, Cynthia, you made me laugh so bad . You said it son well. ! Yeah, I would love to see that. Talking with a straight face about bees and stuff.....lol
    Sorry, Kim but that is hilarious :)
    jin
  • summersrhythm_z6a

Love the title “Romance in the Rose Garden for V Day”!

Gardeners sure know how to party in CA! Have fun! :-)

roseseek thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • roseseek

Thank you, it will be fun! It's been so wet and chilly, I've not really had anything flowering to use, so I had to beg flowers from Kippy in Santa Barbara for pollen and she has access to a yard full of Iceberg so there will be flowers to pull apart and demonstrate my "Bee techniques" with. I can't take credit for the title as that was dreamed up by Kippy and the SB Rose Society president. Happy Valentine's Day!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

I wish they would film it and put it on youtube. It would be great education for all of us who can't be there. Any chance of something like that happening?

• roseseek

Sorry, not that I know of.