0
slug_squasher

short purple petaled (buttercup relative?), and drooping seed pod

C G
last modified: February 11, 2019

I was going through my mystery plant picture folder from last year I haven't been able to figure out what these are, I believe I saw them in the spring.

They were in a slightly shady damp area.

oregon, USA, zone 8

Thanks for any help!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Anemone blanda. And yes it is in the Ranunculaceae.

C G thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

In a garden or yard setting, I would agree with floral. If in a wilder setting, it might be a garden escapee or there are a range of native Anemones in Oregon which I know nothing about. Here is a set of maps showing what is native and where in the US, and you could check to see if there are other possibilities. I don’t know if there are any OR natives that resemble Anemone blanda.

http://bonap.net/Napa/TaxonMaps/Genus/County/Anemone

C G thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • dbarron

Anemone caroliniana looks almost identical (had it in my yard in Oklahoma), but it doesn't occur naturally in Oregon. So there could indeed by a native that looks like A. blanda.

C G thanked dbarron
  • macranthos

It sure doesn’t look like any native anemone I know or could find.

C G thanked macranthos
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If there is a N American native Anemone that looks like that its an absolute dead ringer for A blanda. And I'd be surprised if Macranthos wouldn't know any native Oregon Anemone.

C G thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)

C G, I also looked at the Oregon Anemone options and did not find anything else similar to A. blanda. Since that species, per BONAP, has only been reported a few times in the eastern US, to date, you might check with the Oregon Institute for Natural Resources via email and see if they are interested in your plants. The contact information is provided on their website here. The various States' Natural Heritage Programs are typically focused on rare species, but they also track non-native plants and would likely appreciate your input.

C G thanked jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

We don't know yet if it is was in a wild area or somewhere cultivated. There appears to be a road or path in the background of picture 2 and paving beside the plant in picture 4. Maybe a park?

C G thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • C G

It was in someone's front yard between the sidewalk and the road, but it's about 25 yards from a natural floodplain.

• macranthos

In that case I’d certainly support an Anemone blanda ID.

C G thanked macranthos
  • C G

Thanks a lot everyone!

It looks like Anemone blanda to me.

• jackied164 z6 MA

It looks like an anemone nemorosa. They sell a variety of these at Far Reaches Farm https://www.farreachesfarm.com/a-s/1829.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1829&show=30&page=2